Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2018, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #57826
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Desecrate it on the altar in your kitchen.

Until it doesn't oink anymore.
Thanks. I can see that it's the lack of precision where I've been going wrong...

Next: Tell me how to attach the wings to my airplane... tighten a couple of bolts until the wings can't fall off... right?

09-29-2018, 05:07 PM   #57827
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
That's a clever feature. We don't have the option to print cheques. But here, if you need to pay someone, even a once-off payment, it's common to simply ask that persons bank account details and make the payment instantly with online banking, so I suppose we've evolved to get by without the need for cheques.
Well, most folks use etransfer for that kind of thing...all you need is an email account of the person you want to send the money to and they have to use online banking
09-29-2018, 05:32 PM - 4 Likes   #57828
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
But how do you cook it to get it so flat and crispy?
Do you drain the fat as it cooks, or leave it in there?
You can use a press, but frying it in the fat is key.

09-29-2018, 10:41 PM   #57829
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure...

We came into the grounds and were directed to a parking slot on the grass, three double-rows of cars back from the entrance, and just slightly down from it. We got there around 9:40am, 10 minutes after the outdoor flea-market opened, but there was still a queue to get in (only took five minutes, though).

Oh dear, that's terribly sad

We came straight down the A1(M) (easy access from my home - only 10 minutes away) and finally onto the A46. The journey down was easy, with the only delays caused by typical morning traffic and the 50mph limits for road-works. Plus a short stop to stretch our legs and have a cuppa. It all kept moving, though.

Going back, the traffic was much busier, and there were the usual idiots on the roads, including a guy in a white Audi A5 coupe who drove right up my... er... "backside" for several miles before overtaking me in one of the 50mph zones. He was weaving in and out wherever there were gaps. Ill-advised, at best. There were several tailbacks coming to standstill, but they didn't last for long. A little while later, we went past that same Audi on the hard shoulder, front end all smashed in. I suspect (though I'm only guessing) he was driving too close to the car in front (as he did with us), and when everything stopped he went into the back of it. It looked serious, but not life-threating. I hope he was OK

Enough to learn him a lesson so he never does it again?

09-29-2018, 10:50 PM   #57830
Pentaxian

I believe our friend meant to type "concatenated"

Come on, Racer, surely you can read the following?

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

I had heard that before.

First time I have seen something written like that. A little more effort but not too bad.

But what do you read when there are anagrams?
09-29-2018, 10:51 PM   #57831
Pentaxian

That is the only word I could fit in to the idea presented in the paragraph that made sense.

Although I certainly wouldn't want to be in a car that was getting concatenated with other cars.

I thought he meant 'concertinaed'.
09-29-2018, 10:53 PM   #57832
Pentaxian

Yes it would.

I saw carnage like this frequently while at the wheel of Monstro and compnay.

Idiots can't seem to get it through their pea heads that when conditions demand it, they need to slow down and spread out.

So what was wrong that day. Looks fine, bright and dry.

09-29-2018, 11:17 PM   #57833
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
So what was wrong that day. Looks fine, bright and dry.
I have no idea, I wasn't there.

But I can fill in the blanks.

Following too close.

Speed too fast for conditions.

Distracted driver(s).
09-30-2018, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #57834
Pentaxian

I have no idea, I wasn't there.

But I can fill in the blanks.

Following too close.

Speed too fast for conditions.

Distracted driver(s).
IIRC, those shots were of the aftermath a multiple collision on a very foggy morning on the M5 in Somerset several years ago - all of the above being later quoted as contributory causes.

For my part, a couple more examples of "idiots":
- One involved the same Marina but was a couple of years after the M4 "incident". One very cold/icy and foggy Winter night I had volunteered to drive several miles to feed my then GF's cat whilst she was away (wouldn't normally have driven at all in those conditions, but that's what "love is"!). First part of the journey was along a short stretch of dual carriageway, where it was horribly icy and the visibility was around 10-15 yards max. I was crawling along at around 15mph, and then a big Volvo estate rushes past and rapidly disappears into the fog. Next time I saw the Volvo, it was buried in the rear end of a hapless Toyota at the point where the 2 lanes of the dual carriage way merged into one (as had those cars!) - I carried on, fed the cat and then drove carefully home to bed.
- Then, couple of decades later, and on the M1 this time, I was driving home from Milton Keynes to my then current GF's (she's now SWMBO!) place along a stretch with roadworks and thus heavy single-file traffic. Speed was about 40-50 mph, but I soon got "worried" about how close together the cars in front of me were, and so backed off to give plenty of stopping distance, should the "worst" happen - as it did a couple of minutes later, when I saw the tail of one car pop up into the air and then sideways into the coned-off area a couple of hundred yards in front of me!

Those were examples of what I half-joking refer to as "Who....osh, Baa...ng - OOOOH, NASTY!" incidents.
09-30-2018, 05:44 AM - 2 Likes   #57835
Veteran Member

Yesterday's bacon tomato tomato sandwich.
Cornmeal breaded fried green tomato topped with a vine ripe tomato, topped with bacon.
The sweetness of the ripe one balanced the tartness of the green one perfectly.

09-30-2018, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #57836
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Yesterday's bacon tomato tomato sandwich.
Cornmeal breaded fried green tomato topped with a vine ripe tomato, topped with bacon.
The sweetness of the ripe one balanced the tartness of the green one perfectly.

Looks tasty.

Although the bacon is too crispy.

At each bite it will break into many pieces, falling on the floor.

And you will be deprived of the delightful goodness of that tasty bacon.

But Brooke will be happy as she snatches up those errant bits of bacon.
09-30-2018, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #57837
Veteran Member

Had a deer doe jump out in front of my at 10:30 in the AM yesterday, hammered the brakes until she was clear, then right as I was about to lift off the brakes, her sister came out and decided to run the exact same path across the road that she did! Back on the brakes hard again as I thought about the impending call to my insurance company, she had her rump nicked by my headlight but kept running and the only evidence of our meeting was a few drops of deer pee on the hood and quarter panel. I was happy to see no damage since I am still deer/moose damage free after years driving in their habitats.

SWMBO has had different luck with deer and moose. I think she has had 6 deer and one moose cause damage to vehicles she was driving.
09-30-2018, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #57838
Veteran Member

Although the bacon is too crispy.

At each bite it will break into many pieces, falling on the floor.
Looks brittle but it's cooked just short of that, perfection in my book. Mrs Bob likes it brittle.
Confession, for a slice or two I usually microwave it, for a larger batch I cook it in the oven or on the grill.
09-30-2018, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #57839
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Had a deer doe jump out in front of my at 10:30 in the AM yesterday, hammered the brakes until she was clear, then right as I was about to lift off the brakes, her sister came out and decided to run the exact same path across the road that she did! Back on the brakes hard again as I thought about the impending call to my insurance company, she had her rump nicked by my headlight but kept running and the only evidence of our meeting was a few drops of deer pee on the hood and quarter panel. I was happy to see no damage since I am still deer/moose damage free after years driving in their habitats.

SWMBO has had different luck with deer and moose. I think she has had 6 deer and one moose cause damage to vehicles she was driving.
Bambi didn't have such great luck with me and Monstro's big brother many years ago out in Wyoming.

She exploded like a water balloon.

Did over $5,000 damage to the truck, and I sat in a motel room for a few days while a local shop got my truck driveable and I could finish my trip from East Texas to Seattle.
09-30-2018, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #57840
Veteran Member

Bambi didn't have such great luck with me and Monstro's big brother many years ago out in Wyoming.

She exploded like a water balloon.

Did over $5,000 damage to the truck, and I sat in a motel room for a few days while a local shop got my truck driveable and I could finish my trip from East Texas to Seattle.
Guy I know collected a Moose on I-95 last fall and it was well over 7k since the entire cooling system got trashed by Bullwinkle. But better a Semi than a car since moose come through the windshield and end up in your lap.