Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2018, 08:05 AM - 2 Likes   #58726
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If he takes the lump sum, after taxes he'll only end up with about $670M... Still, that should keep him in bacon for a while
Oh

Well, I guess it's still better than nothing.

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
And me with a Kay One
Aren't we a wee bit greedy now? If all he gets is a paltry $670,000,000 I think it would be perfectly understandable if he were a tad careful with his spendings.

10-24-2018, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #58727
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry guys, can't win if you don't play, no ticket for this last draw.
I did see that there was a one million winner here in MO, hope it was our son.

So Chuck, you'll have to keep using that livE one, not a k-one.
10-24-2018, 09:02 AM   #58728
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Seeking advice from the wise elders of WIWBAK3...

So...

My parents keep asking me what I'd like for Christmas. For years now, my answer has usually been that there's really nothing I want or need. That's only partly true... There are plenty of things I'd like, but none that are reasonably priced enough that I'd feel comfortable asking for them as gifts

This year is different, though. I've managed to last almost fifty years without ever having owned a good quality cast iron skillet, so that's what I'm going to ask for. That's a present I will actually use and enjoy regularly.

I don't want to choose one that costs a silly amount of money because my folks will be paying for it, but nor do I want a piece of junk. I'd prefer one that's big and deep enough for one pan dishes, but also with ridges in the base so I can griddle meat effectively. Kind of an all-rounder, I guess. And pre-seasoned would be ideal, though I've read that even those still benefit from further preparation before use.

I knew there was only one place to ask, and so I respectfully request your help on which skillet to buy... Also, which type of oil is best for seasoning.
10-24-2018, 09:43 AM - 3 Likes   #58729
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So...

My parents keep asking me what I'd like for Christmas. For years now, my answer has usually been that there's really nothing I want or need. That's only partly true... There are plenty of things I'd like, but none that are reasonably priced enough that I'd feel comfortable asking for them as gifts

This year is different, though. I've managed to last almost fifty years without ever having owned a good quality cast iron skillet, so that's what I'm going to ask for. That's a present I will actually use and enjoy regularly.

I don't want to choose one that costs a silly amount of money because my folks will be paying for it, but nor do I want a piece of junk. I'd prefer one that's big and deep enough for one pan dishes, but also with ridges in the base so I can griddle meat effectively. Kind of an all-rounder, I guess. And pre-seasoned would be ideal, though I've read that even those still benefit from further preparation before use.

I knew there was only one place to ask, and so I respectfully request your help on which skillet to buy... Also, which type of oil is best for seasoning.
So I have two cast iron Fry Pans (small and medium) AND a Cast Iron raised ridged skillet. Suggestion? Watch the "used for sale" forums and second-hand stores. I lost all my cast-iron cookware upgrading from Ms Charlac V2 to Ms Charlac V3 so I did what I am suggesting you do...I got some great deals on perfectly good fry-pans for a fraction the cost.

Oil? Why, bacon grease of course.....and never ever ever wash the pan with soap and water.

Just my three cents

Attached Images

Last edited by CharLac; 10-24-2018 at 09:49 AM.
10-24-2018, 10:14 AM - 3 Likes   #58730
Veteran Member

Seeking advice from the wise elders
I only qualify for the latter, but here goes.
Lodge makes good quality cast iron, it's reasonably priced here, but looks a bit expensive in the UK.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/261-9657251-2278547?url=search-a...=lodge+skillet
I'd avoid anything from China.
Antique or vintage, in good condition, is best in my opinion. I have one newer Lodge 12" skillet, and four old skillets of various sizes that were hand-me-downs or garage sale finds. The older stuff was more finely machined and polished.
I do think you will need two, one with ridges and one without because the one with won't be a good frying skillet unless it's pretty deep.
Flaxseed oil for seasoning is supposed to be best, frequent usage is important to build up that desired nearly nonstick finish.
10-24-2018, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #58731
Veteran Member

Oil? Why, bacon grease of course.....and never ever ever wash the pan with soap and water.

Just my three cents
Dang, guess I was thinking, researching Amazon UK, and typing for 30 minutes and Chuck beat me to a reply.
Bacon frying can be good or bad, some of the cured stuff will stick like crazy until it's well seasoned.
Charlie, I think the "no soap and water" has been debunked, I do wash mine if needed, dry well, heat with a little oil and wipe out with paper towels.
10-24-2018, 10:21 AM   #58732
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Don't you love the waiting?
That’s the hardest part.

It is coming by the Brown Truck, expected delivery next Monday, signature required.

I hope that I get home from work before the Brown Truck shows up.

10-24-2018, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #58733
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you take advantage of that super-low pricing announced on the forums?
Yea I did.
10-24-2018, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #58734
Veteran Member

Here's some good info for you Mike:
How to Clean and Care for Cast Iron Cookware | Serious Eats
10-24-2018, 10:25 AM - 3 Likes   #58735
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
In his elderly years Bob Hope was asked if he still enjoyed sex as much, he said Oh yes, especially the one in the fall.
I think it was he who also said, “There is nothing wrong with sex on TV, so long as you don’t fall off.”
10-24-2018, 10:25 AM - 2 Likes   #58736
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
It is coming by the Brown Truck, expected delivery next Monday, signature required.
Dang, was it shipped via stagecoach?
10-24-2018, 10:31 AM - 2 Likes   #58737
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Also, which type of oil is best for seasoning.
Bacon grease.
10-24-2018, 10:32 AM - 2 Likes   #58738
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Dang, guess I was thinking, researching Amazon UK, and typing for 30 minutes and Chuck beat me to a reply.
Bacon frying can be good or bad, some of the cured stuff will stick like crazy until it's well seasoned.
Charlie, I think the "no soap and water" has been debunked, I do wash mine if needed, dry well, heat with a little oil and wipe out with paper towels.
In the 33 years of owning cast-iron, I have never used pr had to use soap. I will put hot water in the pan and let it soak for a 10 minutes and then use a plastic scrubby on the pan....everything comes off nice...and then dry with a paper towel. Usually there is enough oil remaining that no further oiling is necessary. But that is my method...to each their own.
10-24-2018, 10:40 AM - 3 Likes   #58739
Veteran Member

In the 33 years of owning cast-iron, I have never used pr had to use soap. I will put hot water in the pan and let it soak for a 10 minutes and then use a plastic scrubby on the pan....everything comes off nice...and then dry with a paper towel. Usually there is enough oil remaining that no further oiling is necessary. But that is my method...to each their own.
I agree that that's about all well seasoned stuff usually needs.
I also agree with this from the link I provided:
"Soap is good at washing away grease and dirt, so perhaps it's understandable that people think it can also wash away seasoning, since the seasoning is essentially baked-on fat. But even though the seasoning started out as a fat, it's been so thoroughly transformed ("polymerized" is the technical word) that it's no longer at risk of being stripped away by a bit of soap, especially not the gentle modern soaps we work with today."
10-24-2018, 12:07 PM - 3 Likes   #58740
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the advice and information, fellas. Much appreciated. I knew for sure I'd find what I needed here

As it happens, I'd already been looking at Lodge, but also a brand called Utopia. Turns out Utopia is made in China, so I've scratched that off the list.

Here in the UK, Lodge cookware is expensive and relatively uncommon. A quick search online suggests there are few (if any) used / vintage examples for sale in my area, and even nationally. However, I found one reputable website in the UK selling the 30.5cm / 12" skillet (no ridges) for GBP £38.99, and the silicone handle holder for another £10. Not exactly cheap, but worth it for the use I'll get out of it... and it's well within budget. Some time ago, my parents and I agreed to stop buying expensive Christmas gifts for each other, and set a rough limit of GBP £25. If my Mum and Dad club together, this comes out pretty much spot on

Skillet and handle ordered. Which has a side benefit that my Mum will stop pestering me about what to get me for Christmas

I can wait for the grill pan. I've got by for the last forty-nine-and-a-half years without one, so I'll see if the prices come down on Black Friday or in the New Year sales...