Photos: Albums
Hi CharLac

You got to watch out for the cute lookin' dogs

Dave

10-27-2018, 10:38 PM   #58847
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
We have GasBuddy to tell us where the best price can be found.
Find The Nearest Gas Stations & Cheapest Prices | Save On Gas

An interesting difference in culture here is that there is not much common talk that gives basic financial advice, like that. There only seems to be the whinging side of complaining about the prices.
Also, fuel stations are not that common here. I have three in the town of 30000 where I live and two about 4 miles away. Then it is a long way to the next ones. Along the motorways the exits to towns may be a few miles to the town and no one seems to set up petrol stations near the motorway to serve both the motorway and town markets.
10-27-2018, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #58848
Pentaxian

I went through the reverse auction energy deal offer yesterday, looking at all the comparable deals my existing supplier was offering me to sign in to, with fixed prices for intervals out to about 2021 (various lengths between now an then). Compared with the one year fixed price from the reverse auction and the reverse auction guys seemed better than my first impression, which was about my current price, or just a bit more.

So I signed up to the collective buy process associated with the reverse auction.

The people here whinge a lot about the price of energy. They should go to Australia.

The price I pay here for household electricity use and gas for heating water and central heating is only about 75% of what I had to pay for electricity for household use including hot water in Australia, where I did not use electricity for heating, used a wood burner. I got the wood for free, either by pruning trees in my yard or collecting wood that people in the district threw out n the 'big rubbish' collection each year. I had to cut that and then stored it for a year or two to dry out. Once you are in the cycle that works fairly well.
10-28-2018, 04:51 AM - 2 Likes   #58849
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
The price I pay here for household electricity use and gas for heating water and central heating is only about 75% of what I had to pay for electricity for household use including hot water in Australia, where I did not use electricity for heating, used a wood burner. I got the wood for free, either by pruning trees in my yard or collecting wood that people in the district threw out n the 'big rubbish' collection each year. I had to cut that and then stored it for a year or two to dry out. Once you are in the cycle that works fairly well.
I lived (off and on) in a house from 1970 to 1994 that was built in 1900. It was my parent's house, until they got divorced, then it was my mother's, and by then I had moved away. After she divorced she remarried and moved in with her second husband, I moved back and took the place over.

When it was built it had no electricity, that was added in the 1930's. It was heated solely with wood. Every year I bought a DNR permit and collected firewood in the nearby mountains, hauled it home, split and stacked it in the barn. Depending on the weather, I usually started a fire in October, and it burned almost continuously until late March.

It was a cozy little house when the fire was burning.

Mom moved back in when I moved away the last time in 1994. She sold the house and property in 2006 to developers who bought all the parcels of land in the area, removed every house, shed and barn, all the trees and regraded the land and built zero lot line homes.

This 360° panorama was made from about where the house used to stand.

10-28-2018, 05:44 AM   #58850
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi CharLac

You got to watch out for the cute lookin' dogs

Dave
Don't I know it!
10-28-2018, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #58851
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I lived (off and on) in a house from 1970 to 1994 that was built in 1900. It was my parent's house, until they got divorced, then it was my mother's, and by then I had moved away. After she divorced she remarried and moved in with her second husband, I moved back and took the place over.

When it was built it had no electricity, that was added in the 1930's. It was heated solely with wood. Every year I bought a DNR permit and collected firewood in the nearby mountains, hauled it home, split and stacked it in the barn. Depending on the weather, I usually started a fire in October, and it burned almost continuously until late March.

It was a cozy little house when the fire was burning.

Mom moved back in when I moved away the last time in 1994. She sold the house and property in 2006 to developers who bought all the parcels of land in the area, removed every house, shed and barn, all the trees and regraded the land and built zero lot line homes.

This 360° panorama was made from about where the house used to stand.

....sad
10-28-2018, 05:53 AM   #58852
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
....sad
Progress . . . . . .

*sigh*

10-28-2018, 06:41 AM - 3 Likes   #58853
Veteran Member

....sad
Progress . . . . . .

*sigh*
10-28-2018, 08:20 AM - 3 Likes   #58854
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Great song...for a Canadian
10-28-2018, 08:46 AM - 3 Likes   #58855
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So this happened last night and is still happening
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
10-28-2018, 08:48 AM   #58856
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Snow Haiku

I'm envious.

I love snow.

We rarely get snow, and it usually doesn't stick around.
10-28-2018, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #58857
Veteran Member

You're late! I had that on Tuesday! And yesterday, but not today!
10-28-2018, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #58858
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
You're late! I had that on Tuesday! And yesterday, but not today!
And we still have 2 months to the first day of winter.
10-28-2018, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #58859
Veteran Member

Snow Haiku
You Canuckians sure take liberty with the rules of writing haikus, but I still enjoy them.
10-28-2018, 09:38 AM - 2 Likes   #58860
Veteran Member

Great song
until it becomes an earworm.