Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108808 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2018, 04:37 PM - 3 Likes   #59266
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Years back, in the hey-day of my career, I used to hate Sundays when everyone else seemed to love them. More often than not, I used to read through progress / problem reports and meeting agendas, and prepare for my week ahead on a Sunday afternoon... And if we visited friends on a Sunday (or had them visit us), I could never fully relax knowing I had all that stuff to do.

Even though I don't have that stuff to worry about now, I've never quite adapted to Sundays. It still feels like the last few hours before the onslaught of the week ahead
I just don't think about it.

One day at a time.

Yesterday is but a memory.

Tomorrow is but a dream.

Live for today.

11-02-2018, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #59267
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
One day at a time.

Yesterday is but a memory.

Tomorrow is but a dream.

Live for today.
Oh, I'm with you on that 100%. But I do get a feeling from certain days, and I'm sure it's programmed into me from the peak of my working life. Sundays leave me feeling... well, not apprehensive, but almost as if my mind and body are gearing up for the week ahead. Ironically, I love Monday mornings, and always have. It feels like I've been let loose and I'm ready to get things done. Mid-week is just mid-week. Fridays are nice, except that I feel like I need to get chores completed so I can enjoy the weekend. Saturday is my favourite day

EDIT: I say Saturdays are my favourite... but usually I still have some chores to do, which kind of suggests my efforts during the week weren't entirely successful. I'm not sure how that works, but there it is

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-02-2018 at 05:14 PM.
11-02-2018, 05:14 PM - 4 Likes   #59268
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Friday are nice, . . . . . . . .
Friday night, beer night!

Cheers!
11-02-2018, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #59269
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, I'm with you on that 100%. But I do get a feeling from certain days, and I'm sure it's programmed into me from the peak of my working life. Sundays leave me feeling... well, not apprehensive, but almost as if my mind and body are gearing up for the week ahead. Ironically, I love Monday mornings, and always have. It feels like I've been let loose and I'm ready to get things done. Mid-week is just mid-week. Fridays are nice, except that I feel like I need to get chores completed so I can enjoy the weekend. Saturday is my favourite day

EDIT: I say Saturdays are my favourite... but usually I still have some chores to do, which kind of suggests my efforts during the week weren't entirely successful. I'm not sure how that works, but there it is
When I worked second shift I would get all my chores done during the week. When the weekend arrived, it was time to do whatever I wanted.

Working day shift I never seem to have any time to get things done during the week, especially when the days are shorter in the winter.

11-02-2018, 05:31 PM - 2 Likes   #59270
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Cheers!
Amen to that

One thing I do like about Sundays (though I don't always opt for this) is a large, late breakfast (I've never got used to the word "brunch" - but that's probably what I mean). Bacon, one or two sausage links, eggs, mushrooms, tomato, perhaps a spoonful of baked beans, and plenty of toast (or maybe some fried bread!). Plus lots of tea or coffee.

Of course, I could eat that on any day, but it seems perfect for a Sunday

In the past, I used to follow that up by reading The Sunday Times broadsheet and a couple of the weekend sections... But I haven't bought that for years now. I just read the papers on my tablet. I don't enjoy it quite so much, but it's cheaper and more up-to-date. News moves so fast these days, so much can change between the time a paper is printed and when you get to read it. At least the online services contain all the updates
11-02-2018, 05:46 PM - 3 Likes   #59271
Veteran Member

Bacon, one or two sausage links, eggs, mushrooms, tomato, perhaps a spoonful of baked beans, and plenty of toast (or maybe some fried bread!). Plus lots of tea or coffee.
Not complete, you're missing the black pudding!
11-02-2018, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #59272
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Not complete, you're missing the black pudding!
You are, of course, completely correct. Black pudding it is, and black pudding there shall be. But it has to be cooked right... Very hot pan, just a little oil, so it's hot all the way through but slightly crispy on both sides

Truthfully, I rarely buy black pudding to cook at home. But if I go out for breakfast, or if I'm staying at a B&B or hotel, I always ask for it

11-02-2018, 11:14 PM - 1 Like   #59273
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don’t understand why people celebrate Friday so, it is one more day closer to Monday than Thursday.

What I don't understand is why so many people choose a career in something they hate so much.
11-02-2018, 11:21 PM   #59274
Pentaxian

When I worked second shift I would get all my chores done during the week. When the weekend arrived, it was time to do whatever I wanted.

Working day shift I never seem to have any time to get things done during the week, especially when the days are shorter in the winter.

Impossible to do anything outside when you go to work in the dark and come home in the dark.

But it does help me to appreciate why the culture here has developed through the result of many people doing much thinking, which can be done inside when it is dark outside.
11-02-2018, 11:24 PM   #59275
Pentaxian

You are, of course, completely correct. Black pudding it is, and black pudding there shall be. But it has to be cooked right... Very hot pan, just a little oil, so it's hot all the way through but slightly crispy on both sides

Truthfully, I rarely buy black pudding to cook at home. But if I go out for breakfast, or if I'm staying at a B&B or hotel, I always ask for it

The problem with buying it is it comes in large pieces and you only eat a small amount each day, and it has a relatively short shelf life.
11-03-2018, 03:35 AM - 1 Like   #59276
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
What I don't understand is why so many people choose a career in something they hate so much.
When I chose my career (as a computer programmer - an extension of the hobby I'd had since I was 11 or 12) and started off in a small, local software company, I absolutely loved it. After a while, ambition took me to London, where I did a similar job but working for an investment bank. So far, so good.

Then, over the years (and at a few different banks / brokerage houses), came management responsibility of increasing levels and size. I didn't ask for it - it was requested of me, or simply bestowed upon or expected of me. It wasn't long before I did nothing technical at all, except for defining over-arching strategy. Later still, I found myself managing banking operations generally rather than technology per se. But still, I mostly enjoyed that... the business-related aspects, at least.

What took its toll on me, and wore me down over the years, was the lack of respect for people and their well-being. Ever-increasing demands placed upon me translated into unrealistic demands on my work-force, and when someone's skills weren't quite right, instead of developing that loyal individual we were expected to engineer their exit and replace them with someone else. Over-time pay for even very junior staff was abolished with a cheap buy-out designed to look financially attractive, after which even more demands were placed on them to work even more (now-unpaid) hours. That, plus ridiculous expectations to deliver more with less money and fewer staff due to constant cost-cutting (penny pinching), travelling and living out of hotels for a week or more each month, taking conference calls late into the night, being woken up in the early hours when there was a major technology or business problem... It was too much. I eventually woke up one morning and realised I simply couldn't stomach it any more. I'd lost every ounce of enthusiasm for it.

And I think similar things happen to a lot of folks, albeit in different guises. The career we choose might be something that interests and excites us, but things change over the years - sometimes by choice, others by natural progression - and we end up in jobs that look nothing like our original career choice

Of course, if someone chooses to become a lawyer from day one, that's entirely their fault. I have no sympathy

The problem with buying it is it comes in large pieces and you only eat a small amount each day, and it has a relatively short shelf life.
Indeed so. Raw pig's blood isn't known for its lengthy shelf life

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-03-2018 at 04:29 AM.
11-03-2018, 04:29 AM - 3 Likes   #59277
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Impossible to do anything outside when you go to work in the dark and come home in the dark.
Not really.

11-03-2018, 04:57 AM - 2 Likes   #59278
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Me either.

Shortly after starting my working life in civil engineering I decided that sitting at a desk wasn't for me. I took a job at the local electric utility in vehicle maintenance and began a four year apprenticeship (the original four year degree) to become a mechanic.

As a mechanic at the electric utility I loved my work. It was only after 30 years of eating the daily bureaucracy manure that I decided I had eaten enough and moved on.

As a truck driver I also loved my work. But after 5 years, 800,000 miles and only rarely getting to sleep in my own bed I again made the decision to make a change.

Now, working in the Big Shed, again I have found a job that I truly enjoy. Nearly four and a half years, with 2 years, nine months, two weeks and four days to go I look forward to my last working days, before moving to the permanent vacation of retirement.
11-03-2018, 05:04 AM   #59279
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I don’t understand why people celebrate Friday so, it is one more day closer to Monday than Thursday.

Cheers!
By the way.

Reasons why we drink.

11-03-2018, 05:25 AM - 5 Likes   #59280
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
G'day everyone.

Since it was a recent subject, I forgot to mention that the restaurant where we had lunch yesterday, the Barn and Grill, had two restrooms.
Women and Unisex.......................I left the seat up.