Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2014, 06:54 AM   #5926
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Space? Wouldn't mind visiting, but living there? Nah. I mean, almost anywhere on earth I can get back home (wherever that is) within a day or so. Apart from the moon it's pretty much a one way ticket. Not for me.

That's just too far out
I'm with you there.

I think it would be really fun to ride the hydrogen bomb into space. The ride itself would be a kick in the butt. The acceleration, the g-forces. Then the view. From the pictures I have seen, the view is something that is a must see.

And the feeling of weightlessness has gotta be fun.

Without hociR of course.

02-19-2014, 07:00 AM   #5927
Site Supporter

I've added more pictures Wizard World Comic Con. Right now, I'm only doing very limited editing of the OOC JPEGs. I have the RAW files, which I'm saving. I still don't know if I want to learn LR or not. I tried the trial.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/251915-people-wizard-...comic-con.html

Those stupid lights they throw onto the background are horrible. That was my first time trying to deal with lights like that. After looking through all the pictures, they're not as bad as I thought. Considering both my physical & mental state, I'm ok with them. :-D
02-19-2014, 07:19 AM   #5928
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I'm with you there.

I think it would be really fun to ride the hydrogen bomb into space. The ride itself would be a kick in the butt. The acceleration, the g-forces. Then the view. From the pictures I have seen, the view is something that is a must see.

And the feeling of weightlessness has gotta be fun.

Without hociR of course.
Riding the torch would be great. But it's the view I really would like to see.

On the other hand, there are so many wonderful sights I want to see down here on the surface, too.

Damn, I have to get on with the planning of the next trip... Definitely without hociR!
02-19-2014, 07:20 AM   #5929
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I'm only doing very limited editing of the OOC JPEGs. I have the RAW files, which I'm saving. I still don't know if I want to learn LR or not. I tried the trial.
At some point, the decision will become easier. As you become more comfortable with editing you will find things you would like to do, but can't make work out the way you want due to the limitations of jpeg. It may be due to one special picture, or a group of pictures from an special event, but eventually you will have an AHA! (or OH <shucks>) moment that will make the benefit of shooting raw and learning Lightroom, or something similar, painfully obvious. (I think you probably suspect something like that already as you are shooting raw+ instead of just jpeg.)

02-19-2014, 07:23 AM   #5930
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I've added more pictures Wizard World Comic Con. Right now, I'm only doing very limited editing of the OOC JPEGs. I have the RAW files, which I'm saving. I still don't know if I want to learn LR or not. I tried the trial.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/251915-people-wizard-...comic-con.html

Those stupid lights they throw onto the background are horrible. That was my first time trying to deal with lights like that. After looking through all the pictures, they're not as bad as I thought. Considering both my physical & mental state, I'm ok with them. :-D
I think what a person uses for PP is mostly personal preference. I tried Lightroom too, but the user interface is not very intuitive, so I never really did much with it. Add to that the way it deals with your picture files, by "importing" them. I could never really understand how it all worked out, if it actually copied the files to its own folder, or simply referenced them from their original location. And that was an issue because I keep my stuff on an external hard disc, which I move among my many laptops and PCs.

Lots of people here seem to like it, and is sounds like they get a lot out of it. Good on them!

Me?

I have been using Photoshop since version 2 or something like that. Been so long I can't really remember. I am now up to the last locally installed version, CS5. SInce I have been using it for so long I am familiar with the various features and menus, and everything it can do.

So, I use Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 to view the RAW (actually I started using DGN a while back) files, and pull the JPEG from the ones I think I want to edit and share.

Then it is off to Photoshop and away I go.

I also was using some other applications, Microsoft ICE and Hugin for panoramas, and Photomatix for HDR stuff, but CS5 can do all that stuff, and does it just as well. Saving some steps by using just one application seems logical to me.

And I don't need a K3 for that.
02-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #5931
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
At some point, the decision will become easier. As you become more comfortable with editing you will find things you would like to do, but can't make work out the way you want due to the limitations of jpeg. It may be due to one special picture, or a group of pictures from an special event, but eventually you will have an AHA! (or OH <shucks>) moment that will make the benefit of shooting raw and learning Lightroom, or something similar, painfully obvious. (I think you probably suspect something like that already as you are shooting raw+ instead of just jpeg.)
For the life of me I open LR and I am benighted. The user interface is opaque (unintelligible) to me. In my entire life of using computers going back to dumb terminals in 1982 I have never been so completely and totally mystified by a piece of software (well, maybe the first time I saw C:\>_ in the upper left of an otherwise blank screen). Beyond annoying - sailor-cursingly frustrating. I can't even find the finished files when I'm done!!!

PSE12 is an entirely different story. I open it, what I need to do first, and next, and next is self-evident. Finished is finished. I find it telling that LR has a menu item >Edit in ... that can call PSE12. Maybe they know something.

So I just wasted $69 on one upgrade or $100 on the other.

The main reason I don't post photos here is that I hate to edit photos so much. I hate LR.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-19-2014 at 08:04 AM.
02-19-2014, 08:13 AM   #5932
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
For the life of me I open LR and I am benighted. The user interface is opaque (unintelligible) to me. In my entire life of using computers going back to dumb terminals in 1982 I have never been so completely and totally mystified by a piece of software (well, maybe the first time I saw C:\>_ in the upper left of an otherwise blank screen). Beyond annoying - sailor-cursingly frustrating. I can't even find the finished files when I'm done!!!

PSE12 is an entirely different story. I open it, what I need to do first, and next, and next is self-evident. Finished is finished. I find it telling that LR has a menu item >Edit in ... that can call PSE12. Maybe they know something.

So I just wasted $69 on one upgrade or $100 on the other.
LR is a bit confusing in the beginning with the different work spaces for different tasks. But once I got through that I find it fairly straight forward. Each step of the postprocessing has its own section on the right hand side; start on the top and work your way down. If there's something you always do with every picture, stuff it into a preset and let LR apply that on import.

And what I love above all: LR doesn't touch the originals. All changes are stored in the database. To Apply them you have to export the pictures into new files, but I'm fine with that since that means it leaves my originals untouched.

I never thought of it in the beginning, but I believe the fast track to getting started with LR is through video tutorials. There are tons of them out there. Just do a search.

Are there other tools out there? Sure there is. They might be better, too. The greatest advantage I see with LR (and PS) is the vast amount of information available on the 'Net.

hociR definitely does not leave my images untouched, and that's why I won't get a K-3.

02-19-2014, 08:14 AM   #5933
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Riding the torch would be great. But it's the view I really would like to see.
Riding the torch.

I like that. Has a certain, "ring" to it.

Definitely keeps the K3 out of my grubby mitts.
02-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #5934
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

So, I use Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 to view the RAW (actually I started using DGN a while back) files, and pull the JPEG from the ones I think I want to edit and share.

Then it is off to Photoshop and away I go.

I also was using some other applications, Microsoft ICE and Hugin for panoramas, and Photomatix for HDR stuff, but CS5 can do all that stuff, and does it just as well. Saving some steps by using just one application seems logical to me.
I find that DCU4 handles the Pentax colours a lot better than anything from Adobe can do. So for e.g. sunsets I like to develop them in DCU4.

For "dramatic" use of HDR I find Photomatix hard to beat, but as you say PS can do it all. Not always in the best way, but at least in the best documented way

But 90% or more of my editing I do with LR (some of it with plugins, though). The rest in DCU4, PS, and Photomatix.

QuoteQuote:
And I don't need a K3 for that.
Well, it can do HDR and...

---------- Post added 2014-02-19 at 16:22 ----------

Riding the torch.

I like that. Has a certain, "ring" to it.

Definitely keeps the K3 out of my grubby mitts.
I think the Russians are the cheapest (or only?) option to get out there at the moment. Last time I checked the price tag was around $30,000,000. That would blow my budget somewhat.

So no K-3 for me!
02-19-2014, 08:41 AM   #5935
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have PSE12 and LR5. I would agree that PSE is more intuitive. One of the things that I think confuses people about LR is that it is catalogue (spelling in deference to our friends to the North and on the East side of the pond ) based, and possibly the "export" v. "Save As" issue.
I use PSE only for the things that I can't do in LR. I find LR much faster for processing multiple files.
02-19-2014, 08:47 AM   #5936
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
. . . . . and possibly the "export" v. "Save As" issue.
Like a reverse Polish notation calculator.
02-19-2014, 09:06 AM   #5937
Pentaxian

Hey! I resemble that remark! ...

Jean, out of all the members here, I like you the best. ... Maybe it is because you like beer and cheese.

... I bet you even dream in French. ...
Merci beaucoup, Racer ... and a big "ditto" ... like in "Blazing Saddles". Thanks for making my day and for making this forum a "fun" place to hang out ... and thanks to everyone else, too. And "oui", I do dream in French sometimes; it's kind of odd, but still not a good reason to get a "hociR" K-3. J

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 02-19-2014 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Forgot to blush ...
02-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #5938
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Merci beaucoup, Racer ... and a big "ditto" ... like in "Blazing Saddles". Thanks for making my day and for making this forum a "fun" place to hang out ... and thanks to everyone else, too. And "oui", I do dream in French sometimes; it's kind of odd, but still not a good reason to get a "hociR" K-3. J
And the same to you mon ami!

No K3 needed!
02-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #5939
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Like a reverse Polish notation calculator.
The only logic way!

If you're Polish

---------- Post added 2014-02-19 at 17:35 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I'm not going to intrude on your friendship (you know, with the "friendship is like peeing in your pants; everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth of it" and all that).

But strangely enough I've never dreamt in French. Might be because I don't speak the language. Not more than a few words, anyway.

Come to think of it, I never remember having dreamt, so I can't really know the factuality of the above.

Which means I can't have a K-3.
02-19-2014, 09:35 AM   #5940
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
In the Provine of Newfoundland, you're "from away", no matter where you're from.

... Up here, we're Qabloonaq, outsiders, but literally the word means "eyebrows-belly". ...
Wow, thanks jac ... TFS and I guess it's all relative ... at least the French do not have such a descriptive term for foreigners nor Americans ... there's a "mean" slang term for us from the US, but it's not really that bad. Besides 9 times out of 10, the average French person takes my accent to be a Brit, then maybe a Scot ... but never from Quebec, thank the lord ... J

---------- Post added 02-19-14 at 17:37 ----------

...I'm not going to intrude on your friendship (you know, with the "friendship is like peeing in your pants; everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth of it" and all that). ... Which means I can't have a K-3.