Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2018, 02:47 AM - 1 Like   #59506
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
There's a network of snowshoe trails than intertwine with the ski trails at the nordic centre, but I've never seen the appeal of snowshoeing.
Most of the time skis will be a vastly more efficient way of travel than snowshoes. In some terrain types skis will be rather inconvenient, though.

11-07-2018, 03:23 AM   #59507
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
The one up in the sky.
All I see up in the sky is Superman.

11-07-2018, 03:50 AM   #59508
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Does it have a name?

The one in Butte, Montana has a name.

The Berkley Pit

Thetford Mines doesn't name theirs though. Probably ashamed of them because of mesothelioma.
It's simply called "Kimberley's Hole" or "Die Groot Gat", meaning "The Big Hole". Not very exciting!
11-07-2018, 04:10 AM - 3 Likes   #59509
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was following this ute this morning. I thought the number plate was rather apt.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Lumia 650  Photo 
11-07-2018, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #59510
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I was following this ute this morning. I thought the number plate was rather apt.
That combination of letters would never make it past the review committee here.
11-07-2018, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #59511
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Must be NZ to allow such a vanity plate.

Our US friends would probably be arrested and shot if they asked for that on the form requesting a vanity plate. They have funny sensitivities over there.
11-07-2018, 05:42 AM - 2 Likes   #59512
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wish we had that kind of transportation to our local downhill and nordic ski areas here. Some of the best skiing on the world is in my backyard and I can ride the ski bus (I don't think so), or drive.
Europe is great for that; well, Switzerland was anyway. There was a train that would drop you at every ski hill and hiking trailhead. That said, the complete width of Swissyland is the distance from Ottawa to Toronto....not so far in Great White North standards.

11-07-2018, 05:46 AM   #59513
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's a network of snowshoe trails than intertwine with the ski trails at the nordic centre, but I've never seen the appeal of snowshoeing.
I am not a big fan of snowshoe "trails" as they get so packed down you might as well just walk on the trails with your boots. For me, I like to explore so snowshoes are the perfect thing. I can just set my compass/GPS on a destination and then find my own way there. I know you can do this with skiis too, but around here the forest can be too thick to make that a pleasure endeavour. And, it's a darn good workout!
11-07-2018, 06:00 AM   #59514
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Is that the three pin? Who sells EEE or wider boots for a decent price?
I've heard someone say that One Way boots seem to be pretty wide, might be worth looking into.
Go to a specialty shop, they can use boot stretchers to make your experience a comfortable one.
11-07-2018, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #59515
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does it have a name?

Thetford Mines
I think my Uncle was the mine manager there at one time; or maybe just worked there as a mining engineer.
11-07-2018, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #59516
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How much is a huge amount of money?

My first set of downhill skis was free. Back in the dark ages my mom worked for JanSport (when they made tents and backpacks in an old military building at the South end of Paine Field, not far from the Big Shed when it only produced 747's), and they had a business connection with K2. There was a program for employees to "check out" K2 skis, no charge. Just fill out a request and they showed up a few days later.

Mom brought home a brouchure, and I selected the K2 Hawk skis.

{not my picture}

I had to buy boots and bindings. Skied on those planks for over 20 years. They never asked for them back. Still have them too, but the bindings are shot.

After all those years skiing on "free" skis, and watching the technology change I bought a set of Volkl P50 skis and Marker bindings. Moderately shaped skis, very maneuverable and easy to ski compared to the K2's.

Not long after that I picked up a set of Elan M Series Twin Tips, and another set of Marker bindings. These things are much wider than the Volkls, with a more radical side cut. 122, 91, 122. Even easier to ski, maneuver, and very fast. I've hit 72 miles an hour on them.

I always have bought at the year end closeouts (even when I bought the boots and bindings for the Hawks), and it has always been cheap.

I've spent many times more on lift tickets (for several years I had a season pass at the closest ski area, Steven's Pass), transportation to and from, lodging at a few places I've skied and stayed, food, drinks, and whatever else. For what I have spent on these things I could have bought the very "best" skis, boots and bindings many times over.
I had a pair of Head skis for many years but when I went to live in Switzerland I left them behind and rented any time I went skiing. The skis I rented were parabolic so when I returned to Canada, I found that skiing on the old Head skiis was virtually impossible. I ended up buying a set of Volkls and still have them (and love them) although I do not get out too much any more.
11-07-2018, 06:21 AM - 4 Likes   #59517
Veteran Member

Snowshoes.
A few years back Target stores in our area sold snowshoes in the wintertime.
Missouri? Really?
No surprise that they didn't sell well, so when they got marked down by 75% I would hit a few stores and buy all they had. At one time I had a six foot stack in the garage. I made a killing selling them on eBay.
After 3 years of stocking them they wised up.
11-07-2018, 07:17 AM   #59518
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Our US friends would probably be arrested and shot if they asked for that on the form requesting a vanity plate. They have funny sensitivities over there.
No.

The request form and application fee are simply returned, marked request denied.
11-07-2018, 02:22 PM   #59519
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That combination of letters would never make it past the review committee here.
We are very relaxed about most things here. We were, after all, the first country to allow women to vote!
But the Canadians are way ahead of us on a number of other issues.
11-07-2018, 02:30 PM - 3 Likes   #59520
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

But the Canadians are way ahead of us on a number of other issues.
A number, perhaps, but not all...
Attached Images