Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2018, 01:44 PM - 3 Likes   #59566
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'm pleased to see you did not use the word "beer" and the word "Budweiser" in the same sentence.
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Budweiser is the swill of the inbred redneck.
What, no love for the King?
Rup's not here to take you high and mighty boys down a notch or two.

11-08-2018, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #59567
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Chips and Mayo.....well...yeh...s'pose
You're more tolerant to the idea than I am, Dave. Way more.
11-08-2018, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #59568
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Rup's not here to take you high and mighty boys down a notch or two.

BUD KING OF BEERS CROWN ADVERT - YouTube
Thanks, but I prefer my carbonated water without additives
11-08-2018, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #59569
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote

11-08-2018, 02:58 PM - 3 Likes   #59570
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I know. I was shocked when I first saw that. Limited to one carton per person per day? And no blowing up of the toilets?! That's just... What's the point of a race if you can't have some fun?
I love that they were clearly burying caches of beer around the circuit before the weekend, because it's ten miles of public roads in the countryside, you'd never stop them!

You can imagine half a dozen drunks staggering around with a shovel, and a map with a little 'X' on it - a redneck version of 'Treasure Island'.

Last edited by clackers; 11-08-2018 at 03:34 PM.
11-08-2018, 03:05 PM - 2 Likes   #59571
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep. Too long day at work today, so when I got home I plunked down to watch a couple of episodes of "World War II, the complete history"
If you haven't seen it, also check out the Ken Burns Vietnam War series on Netflix.

It's long, and the history/politics side's a pretty straightforward depiction, but the range of participants involved is quite good - decorated Marines, Viet Cong, military advisors, North Vietnamese major, a guy who went to Canada to avoid the draft, mother of a soldier who didn't return, and more …

A curiosity is that Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor helped do the soundscape and score.

Last edited by clackers; 11-08-2018 at 08:13 PM.
11-08-2018, 03:08 PM - 6 Likes   #59572
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Calling @fries;
You rang? I'll try to clear things up! If that doesn't work I'll do my best to complicate things in a way that suits this thread. Fries in Dutch has two meanings:

1. Born in the province of Fryslân; a Frisian is called a Fries. I am a Fries!
2. The language spoken in the province of Fryslân is Fries and in the Frisian language we call it Frysk.

Ergo, the word Fries has nothing to do with a certain potato product in Dutch. We and the Flamish in Belgium (the inventors) say friet to fries! (And in the Netherlands also Patat. In Belgium patatten means potato's.) Friet gets it name from the 'frituur'; the deep fryer. And since the people that invented fries (the Flamish) link the name of the product to the cooking method I conclude that fries is the only correct term for what in certain confused circles is called chips. Chips are a cold potato product. Fries are fried and are warm. But you can't fry any Fries because that would possibly hurt me!

I do hope this cleared everything up!

11-08-2018, 03:11 PM - 3 Likes   #59573
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, and on that *other* conflict … if you're from a culture that was affected by the War To End All Wars, a suggestion I heard was to set your phone alarm to go at 10.59 in a couple of days time, and just pause whatever you're doing - doesn't have to be a big gesture - in remembrance of that one and all other conflicts. In Australia, at least publicly, we go the full minute's silence publicly, but perhaps what we do in private is just as important.
11-08-2018, 10:28 PM - 2 Likes   #59574
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
I have switched from quantity to quality

And the next day you do not swear you will never do it again?
11-08-2018, 10:32 PM   #59575
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen

Well.......
Chips and Mayo.....well...yeh...s'pose
My goodness a carton a day..I'm about 20yrs behind in my drinking then...I'm a bit like you now Racer
Bertie ..stop...upseting Bob now will'ya......disappears for awhile and then look what happens....jeesh
Make up your mind you lot over the bigger pond....do you want snow or not ????

Dave

Are you expecting English people to make up their mind about anything, big or small?

The idea here seems to be to announce a decision and then whinge about the implementation.
11-08-2018, 10:39 PM   #59576
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Oh, and on that *other* conflict … if you're from a culture that was affected by the War To End All Wars, a suggestion I heard was to set your phone alarm to go at 10.59 in a couple of days time, and just pause whatever you're doing - doesn't have to be a big gesture - in remembrance of that one and all other conflicts. In Australia, at least publicly, we go the full minute's silence publicly, but perhaps what we do in private is just as important.

Here they go for two minutes.

And the debate about Alexander Haig comes up regularly. First he was a hero for winning, then the butcher of the Somme, who ordered the soldiers at the Somme to rise out of the trenches and WALK, not run, towards the German lines just to show the British were not afraid of casualties, while the Germans mowed them down, and more recently he has been restored, because In the end he did win.
11-08-2018, 11:54 PM   #59577
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Here they go for two minutes.

And the debate about Alexander Haig comes up regularly. First he was a hero for winning, then the butcher of the Somme, who ordered the soldiers at the Somme to rise out of the trenches and WALK, not run, towards the German lines just to show the British were not afraid of casualties, while the Germans mowed them down, and more recently he has been restored, because In the end he did win.
Douglas Haig?

It's pretty complex.

After the original, fairly small professional British force was pretty much wiped out in 1914, he held back deployment of the very large conscripted army until the middle of 1916 while it was trained … leaving the French to bear the brunt of the fighting for a long, long time (Verdun, etc).

He acquired a bad rep, much of it undeserved - he didn't order troops to walk not run, the method of attack was left up to the local commanders. He tried several innovations all aimed at solving the problem of trench warfare that bedeviled attacking generals of all nations in that war … massive pre-bombardments, tanks, digging under enemy lines and filling the tunnels with explosives, etc.

I'd say his main problem was that he'd make gains on the first day or whatever, but like a gambler chasing his losses, wouldn't call off an offensive until long after it was obvious it had failed, and young men were going to die unnecessarily for weeks afterwards. I think Passchendale is far worse than the Somme in that regard, almost a crime.

His other problem was that his background was as a cavalryman, he kept aiming for a decisive breakthrough and a fast, almost bloodless followup, but the state of technology of the day wasn't yet up to that, and he never had a Plan B.

But he was also a good organizer, cared for his men (and was key to the setup of veterans associations when the war finished) and learnt to trust his talented subordinates such as Generals Henry Rawlinson, Herbert Plumer, Arthur Currie and John Monash to carry out the battles with their units that ultimately took the Allies to victory in 1918.

Politically he was very smart and permitted London to put him under the overall command of the very capable French Marshall Ferdinand Foch rather than be sacked for his shortcomings.

Last edited by clackers; 11-09-2018 at 03:56 AM.
11-09-2018, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #59578
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
War is Hell.

And I still will not buy a K-3.
11-09-2018, 05:17 AM   #59579
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
And the next day you do not swear you will never do it again?
Exactly! Well, unless of course I end up having a quantity of that quality I was talking about. :-D
11-09-2018, 05:19 AM   #59580
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep. Too long day at work today, so when I got home I plunked down to watch a couple of episodes of "World War II, the complete history" while enjoying some of the (intentionally) left-over Christmas beer from last year. I find those beers a tad sweet when they're "fresh". They taste much better after some shelf time. Time to restock so I can have some "leftovers" for next year, too.
Yeah, I have some Winter and Stout Beers I purchased last year that I will be dipping into over the Christmas holidays. Yum Yum!