Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2019, 07:51 PM - 2 Likes   #61366
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
More about Martin-Baker seats.AFA 2016: Ejection Seat Demos for F-35 and T-X | Military.com

01-07-2019, 08:46 PM - 3 Likes   #61367
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Have you ever seen an ejector seat in action? Not something the general public can handle. Most of them would be killed during the ejection. There are certain things that have to be done before a jet fighter pilot pulls the handle that initiates the ejection. Of course he has to be in the seat, belts tight (not just a lap belt, but a 5 way harness). When he pulls the handle, first the canopy is blown off with explosive bolts. Then an explosive charge at the bottom of the seat assembly is ignited, launching the seat up at a very high rate of acceleration. I would guess it feels a bit like getting rear ended hard while sitting at a stoplight.

Of course a high degree of training in the use of such devices is required.

Consider for instance the forces involved. The occupant of such a seat must be fully aware of the event, and keep their hands and arms folded tight against their chest, holding tightly to the shoulder belts as the seat begins the upward trajectory. Wouldn't want to get them ripped off on the perimeter of the cockpit opening. And once the seat is clear of the plane the parachute deploys. As it fully opens quite rapidly the pilot is then yanked quite hard as it slows the decent. Even with a parachute, occupants frequently are injured or killed, as the human body just isn't equipped to handle the forces involved.

Check out this video of ejection seat tests.

F-35 M-B US16E Ejection Seat Tests One Eighth Slow Motion - YouTube
A pal of mine in the Army got to ride a Martin-Baker seat out of an OV-1 and told me that he can get a tour of the plant as a rider. And then they give you a corporate necktie as a souvenir! I think I will pass on the ejection seat ride.
01-07-2019, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #61368
Veteran Member

Have you ever seen an ejector seat in action? Not something the general public can handle. Most of them would be killed during the ejection. There are certain things that have to be done before a jet fighter pilot pulls the handle that initiates the ejection. Of course he has to be in the seat, belts tight (not just a lap belt, but a 5 way harness). When he pulls the handle, first the canopy is blown off with explosive bolts. Then an explosive charge at the bottom of the seat assembly is ignited, launching the seat up at a very high rate of acceleration. I would guess it feels a bit like getting rear ended hard while sitting at a stoplight.

Consider for instance the forces involved. The occupant of such a seat must be fully aware of the event, and keep their hands and arms folded tight against their chest, holding tightly to the shoulder belts as the seat begins the upward trajectory. Wouldn't want to get them ripped off on the perimeter of the cockpit opening. And once the seat is clear of the plane the parachute deploys. As it fully opens quite rapidly the pilot is then yanked quite hard as it slows the decent. Even with a parachute, occupants frequently are injured or killed, as the human body just isn't equipped to handle the forces involved.

Ask Goose how the ejection seat turned out for him...
01-07-2019, 09:18 PM - 3 Likes   #61369
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Ask Goose how the ejection seat turned out for him...
LOL at you Bert! Heard the bagpipes referred to as "the devil's testicle" on a sitcom tonight. Made me think of you.

01-07-2019, 10:43 PM   #61370
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
The description is a tad long, so I'll just post the map

Oh, and it seems Google agrees with Charlie - I might live in Sweden after all

Both routes have places that are on 'warning' lists for travellers. And also might get you in bother over the countries the stamps in your passport would show you had visited on the way when you go home.
01-07-2019, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #61371
Pentaxian

I know that now but when I was seven … . Actually my idea was a bit different, but would probably fail on the law of conservation of momentum, not something understood by a seven year old. When the pilot works out that a crash is going to happen, pull the 'in flight break up' lever, and the plane breaks up and the seats separate and after a bit of free fall the parachute on the seat opens on an auto rip cord, like the paratroopers in WWII whose rip cords were often tethered to the plane so they would not forget to pull it, or fall without it opening if they were incapacitated.
01-07-2019, 10:52 PM   #61372
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
A pal of mine in the Army got to ride a Martin-Baker seat out of an OV-1 and told me that he can get a tour of the plant as a rider. And then they give you a corporate necktie as a souvenir! I think I will pass on the ejection seat ride.

I have found that very few corporate gifts are worth having. They seem to get them from the lowest bidder, and then add their own brand to them. Hmm.

I used a mug from my former employing university this morning, given to me to celebrate 10 years of the university which coincided with my 10 year service anniversary.

01-08-2019, 12:23 AM - 2 Likes   #61373
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
LOL at you Bert! Heard the bagpipes referred to as "the devil's testicle" on a sitcom tonight. Made me think of you.
(Laughs)

Give that scriptwriter a raise!

01-08-2019, 01:29 AM   #61374
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Either of those routes won't get you there as the roads are nonexistent.

See Which Africa overland route - 4x4 Africa and Main routes | First-Time Africa: know before you go
Basically, the only options are keeping along the West Coast of Africa (mostly) or the East coast (mostly).
Yes, Google probably assumes I have a Unimog And I'd avoid most of South Sudan and eastern DRC even if they had passable roads. But an eastern route through Sudan and Ethiopia to Kenya should be quite doable. Not sure why Google didn't suggest that at all. Kenya/Uganda onwards is plain sailing.

I have read quite a bit on 4x4 Africa over the years. We're thinking of another camping trip this year, so going to spend some time updating myself now.
01-08-2019, 01:46 AM - 1 Like   #61375
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Both routes have places that are on 'warning' lists for travellers. And also might get you in bother over the countries the stamps in your passport would show you had visited on the way when you go home.
I think it would be hard to get all the way without passing places on some warning list. I think the Aussie list is fairly reasonable, but most other countries will warn you against any place where there's been a sneeze in the last 6 month period.

Should anyone complain over any of the stamps in my passport (but why should they) I'll just claim to follow in this Norwegian's footsteps: Gunnar Garfors Biography | The Garfors Globe. He's supposedly the youngest "hobby traveller" to have visited all countries in the world.
01-08-2019, 05:27 AM - 2 Likes   #61376
Pentaxian

I think it would be hard to get all the way without passing places on some warning list. I think the Aussie list is fairly reasonable, but most other countries will warn you against any place where there's been a sneeze in the last 6 month period.

Should anyone complain over any of the stamps in my passport (but why should they) I'll just claim to follow in this Norwegian's footsteps: Gunnar Garfors Biography | The Garfors Globe. He's supposedly the youngest "hobby traveller" to have visited all countries in the world.

The overuse of warnings results in the 'cried wolf' effect that results in people not heeding any warning.

But the passport stamps may attract attention that result in an expenses paid, full kit and catering holiday in a government hotel on return.
01-08-2019, 05:41 AM - 2 Likes   #61377
dbs
Pentaxian

Oh, reminds me - forgot supper. Gotta go make some.

Yeah, my wife's run away to Zimbabwe for a couple of weeks (without me, canyoubelieveit!), and I have to remember eating all by myself
Hi Savoche just drink lots of beer
All the major food groups are represented

So

Drink

Up

Dave
01-08-2019, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #61378
dbs
Pentaxian

Yeah, and even a few more kms - she's in Matopos in the south right now.

According to Google there will be toll roads along the way, so I guess I'll stay put.
Hi Savoche

By the time you got here it would be 42C ,

Is that to your liking ??????

Dave
01-08-2019, 06:04 AM - 2 Likes   #61379
dbs
Pentaxian

Good Almost Midnight All

Well.......
Racers trying to eject Rod in a black(orange)box
Bob is over his man flu
Charlie's heading for the sun
Savoche has to fend for himself
SSGeezef is doing "the right thing"
Bert is still skiing
And well I'm off to bed
goodnight

Dave
01-08-2019, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #61380
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
going to spend some time updating myself
Can you please PM me instructions for doing this?