Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2019, 06:14 AM - 2 Likes   #61636
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Let's not leave Missouri out of places for winos.
Missouri Wineries | Missouri Vineyards | MissouriWineCountry.com

01-16-2019, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #61637
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Sav, if you like it warmer, and wine, here is a good place.
There are wineries all around the North East of Victoria.
(And Saturday's forecast of 30C has been increased to 35C, which will be the lowest max temp for the next 7 days.)

I used to live on an estate carved out of the last Adelaide metro area vineyard. They still had the winery at the end of the street, and some vines which they used for wine. The estate was the first area in Adelaide planted to vineyard when the sate was only about10 years old. Mid 19th century. Penfolds. Some of you might have heard of them. They even get some of their wine in the bottle shop as 'arrods, in Knightsbridge.
01-16-2019, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #61638
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I'm not sure that any one word describes California with accuracy. It's a big state (by European standards, anyway, certainly larger than Norway), and I believe quite diverse. But sure, I would not want to live in any large city, no matter where in the world.

But my examples above were given solely based on climate, and climate is really the only thing not close to perfect with where I live already. I do not entertain any serious thought to leave the country permanently. Going away for the darkest few months of the year, though...

Did like my visits to Monterey and Pebble Beach.
01-16-2019, 07:01 AM - 2 Likes   #61639
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

savooch - Come to the Finger Lakes Region of New York. Lots of vineyards putting out some pretty good wine. Great scenery. A lot of micro breweries starting up. We take a 40 mile (64km) drive to here every year to pick grapes. They were .68 Euros per kilo this year. (35 cents a pound in US currency) if you pick them yourself. The lake is Canadaigua Lake. Lousy shots taken with my iPhone 5C.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
01-16-2019, 10:21 AM - 3 Likes   #61640
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Let's not leave Missouri out of places for winos.
Missouri Wineries | Missouri Vineyards | MissouriWineCountry.com
Wine is important, let there be no doubt. Not as important as beer and bacon, but still important. It is, however, not that important a factor when looking for a place to settle. Vines are more an indicator for a pleasant climate. A bit the same way that banana plants are (as they don't like frost at all). That does not means that the bananas are the primary reason I like to spend time in banana plant country

That said, I wouldn't mind sampling some Missouri wine. I'll be sure to give you a heads-up before I show up so you'll have time to stock up
01-16-2019, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #61641
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I've visited California just once, a four-week stay almost 30 years ago. Didn't like the cities too much, but there's some magnificently magnificent nature in that state.
01-16-2019, 10:26 AM   #61642
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
savooch - Come to the Finger Lakes Region of New York. Lots of vineyards putting out some pretty good wine. Great scenery. A lot of micro breweries starting up. We take a 40 mile (64km) drive to here every year to pick grapes. They were .68 Euros per kilo this year. (35 cents a pound in US currency) if you pick them yourself. The lake is Canadaigua Lake. Lousy shots taken with my iPhone 5C.
I agree, great scenery! But... it's as cold over there as it is here Ok, not as dark, but still cold!

01-16-2019, 11:27 AM - 2 Likes   #61643
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
While driving Monstro I moved a load to Salinas, California. Awesome place. The town and surrounding valley are ringed by mountains, and coupled with the onshore flow of fresh sea air there is a microclimate. Summertime highs rarely exceed the mid 80’s F, wintertime lows rarely dip below 60.

If it wasn’t in California I would move there.
01-16-2019, 11:33 AM   #61644
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree, great scenery! But... it's as cold over there as it is here Ok, not as dark, but still cold!
Upstate New York in the spring and summer is awesome, beautiful in the fall, and great fun during the snowy winter (remember the winter Olympic Games at Lake Placid).
01-16-2019, 11:41 AM   #61645
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

But sure, I would not want to live in any large city, no matter where in the world.
Me too.

As an adult I have only lived in rural or semi rural homes.

My current home is the most rural to date. Thirty miles to the nearest hospital which is located in the nearest large city (Everett, Washington, population 103,000 in 2010). I have the Cascade Mountains right out my door, a 15 minute drive away. Hiking, camping, skiing, kayaking, hunting are just a few of many activities
01-16-2019, 12:23 PM - 2 Likes   #61646
Veteran Member

And who's been stuck on the side of the road for nearly 2 hours because he decided to stop to take a picture of a barn? Certainly not me...

PS: Thank God we have CAA, I could have missed my afternoon tea.
01-16-2019, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #61647
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 1984 Quote
PS: Thank God we have CAA, I could have missed my afternoon tea.
Missing my afternoon bacon would be brutal, but tea? I don't think so!
01-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #61648
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sav, invasions are not so popular. The Brits did that here in 1788 and the descendants of the indigenous are still furious about it.
Recent violence by more recent arrivals has led to a poll showing 70% against maintaining our present refugee numbers.
(The post WW2 European invasion was most beneficial, by the way.)
01-16-2019, 08:55 PM - 2 Likes   #61649
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Today is seven weeks post surgery. Had a follow up with the surgeon, the second of two casts was removed, and I went home wearing a "cast boot" which is every bit as rigid as a cast, but I can remove it.

And wash my foot and leg from the knee down.

And it is time.

No weight bearing just yet though, but I can begin working on flexibility.

So now I must go wash my stinky foot and begin the process of moisturizing the dead skin away.
01-16-2019, 09:21 PM - 2 Likes   #61650
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I must go wash my stinky foot
Two casts in seven weeks: that's a lot of accumulated odour (odor) between changes of 'footwear'.
Did the nursing staff who changed the casts wear gas masks? Did you?
How does the foot feel?
How long now before you can put weight in the foot?