Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108808 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2019, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #63691
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Said with the accent of a Buckingham Palacite, "It is an awfully nice hooch, with hints of kerosene, dog excrement, and a subtle but discernible aftertaste of Cee Three Atech Six Oh."
Oh it will make one sick alright . . . . . .

03-08-2019, 06:21 AM - 4 Likes   #63692
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Be sure to wear your flannel lined shorts, insulated sandals, and winter thickness ankle socks.

Gonna be pretty brisk out there.
Maybe Mrs CharLac will keep me warm out there Not bloody likely
Attached Images

03-08-2019, 06:22 AM - 4 Likes   #63693
Veteran Member

I had the same thought.

But there is that tequila that has the worm in it . . . . . . . .

Strictly speaking, that is not Tequila but Mescal, tequila is only made from a single type of Agave (Blue) and onl;y in the Jalisco area. Mescal can be made from 28 different varieties of agave anywhere in oaxaand is smokier and sweeter than tequila (though technically tequila is mescal)

"The Worm
Mezcal is widely known for the agave “worm” (or gusano) that floats toward the bottom of the bottle. It is primarily a marketing gimmick to help boost sales, especially in the United States and in Asia. In fact, it is not a “worm” at all, but one of two insect larvae (a caterpillar of a night butterfly or the larvae of the agave snout weevil) that can infest yucca and agave plants.

Tequila never (ever!) has a worm in the bottle"

Tequila is my teenage alcohol poisoning drink, couldn't even smell the stuff for close to 2 decades . like it now , prefer mescal it makes more interesting cocktails (i leave the worm behind though )

---------- Post added 8th Mar 2019 at 08:24 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Strictly speaking, that is not Tequila but Mescal, tequila is only made from a single type of Agave (Blue) and onl;y in the Jalisco area. Mescal can be made from 28 different varieties of agave anywhere in oaxaand is smokier and sweeter than tequila (though technically tequila is mescal)

"The Worm
Mezcal is widely known for the agave “worm” (or gusano) that floats toward the bottom of the bottle. It is primarily a marketing gimmick to help boost sales, especially in the United States and in Asia. In fact, it is not a “worm” at all, but one of two insect larvae (a caterpillar of a night butterfly or the larvae of the agave snout weevil) that can infest yucca and agave plants.

Tequila is my teenage alcohol poisoning drink, couldn't even smell the stuff for close to 2 decades . like it now , prefer mescal it makes more interesting cocktails (i leave the worm behind though )
03-08-2019, 06:26 AM - 3 Likes   #63694
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"The Worm

If you are ever down in Mexico, try this...fantastic stuff to sip on.

Attached Images

03-08-2019, 06:30 AM - 4 Likes   #63695
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a similar experience with the Mexiacan booze, although I was in my 30's.

Mrs. Racer 1.0 really liked tequila. On her birthday one year I bought her some of her favorite, and we commenced to taking shots with salt and lime.

At some point I blacked out, and in her words, "Became the worm!"

I woke up the next day, on the floor next to the bed, puke everywhere in the house. She said I projectile vomited in every room, and outside. I supposedly slithered like a worm across the floor, out the door, down the steps and across the yard.

My head hurt.

Every part of me hurt.

I stank.

The house stank.

I had to clean it all up.

I had a hangover for a week.

For 20 years the very smell of the stuff would cause me to wretch.

My current neighbor is a tequila connoisseur. He vacations in Mexico once a year with his wife and a couple they know, and he brings back bottles of the stuff that we can't get here. A few Christmases back he gave me a bottle of some resposado something. It is like good scotch, smoky and complex, very good in a shot glass, sipped and savored.

I was finally able to drink tequila again.
03-08-2019, 06:41 AM - 3 Likes   #63696
Veteran Member

Mrs. Racer 1.0 really liked tequila. On her birthday one year I bought her some of her favorite, and we commenced to taking shots with salt and lime.

I woke up the next day, on the floor next to the bed, puke everywhere in the house. She said I projectile vomited in every room, and outside. I supposedly slithered like a worm across the floor, out the door, down the steps and across the yard.

My head hurt.

Every part of me hurt.

I stank.

The house stank.

My current neighbor is a tequila connoisseur. He vacations in Mexico once a year with his wife and a couple they know, and he brings back bottles of the stuff that we can't get here. A few Christmases back he gave me a bottle of some resposado something. It is like good scotch, smoky and complex, very good in a shot glass, sipped and savored.

yep good tequila is a whole other product from the stuff we poison our selves with (I woke up in a field, and heard stories about things i did for weeks . took me hours to get home, i only lived about 2 miles away...)
03-08-2019, 07:14 AM - 5 Likes   #63697
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My head hurt.

Every part of me hurt.

I stank.

The house stank.

yep good tequila is a whole other product from the stuff we poison our selves with (I woke up in a field, and heard stories about things i did for weeks . took me hours to get home, i only lived about 2 miles away...)
{set mode/story/mode=rupert}

I guess we all have similar stories:

Many years ago, during my massive annual Labour Day weekend party, I got into tequila shots. This was always a good sized party that ebbed and flowed inside the house, spilling out to the huge bonfire in the back yard, and even out onto the street some years. I remember four or five shots of the evil liquor and then nothing.

I awoke in the side yard, lying on the grass with two of my dogs guarding my half-dead body. No word of a lie, anyone walking too close would receive deep throated growls of warning from my loyal canine companions. I was so sick I thought I was going to die of alcohol poisoning. With this in mind, I started to crawl across the rocky driveway on my hands and knees. Upright travel was not possible. Part way to the house two things occurred to me. One, the small stones digging into my hands and knees were cause me extreme discomfort. And two, I really did not want anyone to see me in this condition; I would rather die in the yard with my dog friends.

Mrs CharLac V1.0 found me sometime later lying on the lawn. She offered to help me into the house but I did not want to be moved. I attempted to explain with heavy swollen tongue that the world began to spin so much faster when I moved. I did ask for a blanket. She returned to the party and promptly forgot her promise of warm for her pathetic spouse.

I woke some time later, shivering with dew soaking through my clothes. Luckily, I was quite close to a tent I had set up earlier in the day and a wonderful warm sleeping bag. It was probably my destination much earlier when I passed out. I crawled to it, slid into the sleeping bag, and zipped the tent almost shut. I left my head sticking out of the tent just in case I barfed yet again.

I woke up in this condition the next morning. The evening had been equally unkind to others at the party so beer and liquor bottle and human bodies were littered around the campfire.

I as well was sick for days and did not touch the stuff for well over twenty years.

Oh, and I found out later that I was a virtual dancing machine. I danced in the house, I danced on a table, I even entertained the party outside at the fire with my drunken cavorting.

I really hate tequila and not remembering.

{set mode/nostory}

03-08-2019, 07:20 AM - 4 Likes   #63698
Veteran Member

My head hurt.

Every part of me hurt.

I stank.

The house stank.

Sounds somewhat similar to my Mad Dog 20/20 experience when I was in my 30s.
Minus all the puking.

03-08-2019, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #63699
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Sounds somewhat similar to my Mad Dog 20/20 experience when I was in my 30s.
Minus all the puking.
Mad Dog.

*shudder*
03-08-2019, 08:58 AM - 3 Likes   #63700
Veteran Member

Mad Dog.

*shudder*
Are you sure you didn't mean Uff-Da?
03-08-2019, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #63701
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks to be a very useful and dynamic term

Urban Dictionary: uff da

Similar to our f bomb
03-08-2019, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #63702
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

That too.
03-08-2019, 09:06 AM - 4 Likes   #63703
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Similar to our f bomb
No, uff da isn’t in the same league as that word.

Uff da!
03-08-2019, 11:28 AM - 3 Likes   #63704
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Similar to our f bomb
No, uff da isn’t in the same league as that word.

Uff da!

As it was explained to me by a Norwegian many years ago:

Uff da is a very versatile word (so I guess it may be similar to "that other word", which can also be quite versatile, but after that the similarities diverge dramatically).

Uff da is an expression of joy or excitement.

It can be an expression of frustration.

Sometimes it is used in place of a sigh. And we all know a sigh is a multi faceted expression in and of itself.

Every now and then, as one lets out a breath, "Uff Da" comes out too.

It can be an interjection, expressing bafflement, surprise or dismay.

Sometimes it can express annoyance at something or someone.

I'm sure I have missed some here, as it is indeed an expression that covers a lot.

Sorry, eh?
03-08-2019, 12:03 PM - 3 Likes   #63705
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I was at university studying microbiology in the 1970s (hint regarding first half of screen name!), I learned all about the fermentation process in producing Mexican Pulque (the lecturer pronounced it ‘puke’). I’ve never had the nerve to try it!

Uff da! (Sounds a bit like ‘iechyd dda’, Welsh for ‘cheers’, which is actually relevant!)