Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2019, 03:26 PM - 2 Likes   #63721
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

In other news...

The hair on my head feels kind of funny

I've always had thick, dark brown hair - although for some years now it's been more "salt 'n' pepper" than dark brown, and lately there's a lot more salt than pepper. Still, I've maintained a full head of hair, with no thinning at all, just a slightly receding hair-line. Not bad, as I'm nearing my 50th birthday. I generally cut it all down to a number one length during winter, and a half in summer.

But, of late, the hair on my crown has developed a wiry, brittle texture. It's only noticeable when I've cut it, and for a few weeks afterwards. When I let it grow to beyond a quarter of an inch, it doesn't feel so weird.

I asked my Dad to check it for me, and he said it's just grey. I knew that already - it's been grey (or greying) there for a while... but it feels different now. Wiry. And it doesn't feel like it's growing at quite the same rate as the rest.

Is this the onset of... a bald patch??

I can't stop rubbing it. If it's not a developing bald patch, I'm going to create one through friction alone, I fear...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-08-2019 at 03:34 PM.
03-08-2019, 03:30 PM - 2 Likes   #63722
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
In other news...

I've always had thick, dark brown hair - although for some years now it's been more "salt 'n' pepper" than dark brown, and lately there's a lot more salt than pepper. Still, I've maintained a full head of hair, with no thinning at all, just a slightly receding hair-line. Not a bad, as I'm nearing my 50th birthday. I generally cut it all down to a number one length during winter, and a half in summer.

But, of late, the hair on my crown has developed a wiry, brittle texture. It's only noticeable when I've cut it, and for a few weeks afterwards. When I let it grow to beyond a quarter of an inch, it doesn't feel so weird.

I asked my Dad to check it for me, and he said it's just grey. I knew that already - it's been grey (or greying) there for a while... but it feels different now. Wiry. And it doesn't feel like it's growing at quite the same rate as the rest.

I can't stop rubbing it. If it's not a developing bald patch, I'm going to create one through friction alone, I fear...
Don’t rub it, or you will rub it into a shiny bare spot.

And quit obsessing about life’s changes. That just causes more grey.
03-08-2019, 03:32 PM - 4 Likes   #63723
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Did I ever mention I can’t stand the stink of smokers?

Well I don’t like it one bit.

And most of these losers at the Social Security office reek.

I bet I will stink like that when I finally get out of here.

Yuk!
03-08-2019, 03:33 PM - 3 Likes   #63724
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

In other news...

I've always had thick, dark brown hair - although for some years now it's been more "salt 'n' pepper" than dark brown, and lately there's a lot more salt than pepper. Still, I've maintained a full head of hair, with no thinning at all, just a slightly receding hair-line. Not a bad, as I'm nearing my 50th birthday. I generally cut it all down to a number one length during winter, and a half in summer.

Have you grown a thick crop of old guy hair in your ears too?

Last edited by Racer X 69; 03-08-2019 at 08:35 PM.
03-08-2019, 03:41 PM   #63725
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
the rent-a-cop descended upon me quite swiftly. I guess the pocket knife I carry is prohibited. So I had to go back out to my car and put it in the jockey box.
You folks have different laws to ours regarding legal carry, but it seems those in (or who think they have) authority appear to have the same worries.

I carry a little Victorinox Spartan with a 23/8" blade with me most of the time. That's a pocket knife to me... but you guys still carry big, angry-lookin' lock-knives, right? Or am I out of touch?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-08-2019 at 04:15 PM.
03-08-2019, 03:47 PM - 4 Likes   #63726
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ditch the helmet thingy.
03-08-2019, 03:49 PM - 2 Likes   #63727
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

And quit obsessing about life’s changes. That just causes more grey.
I quote Ricky in American Beauty: "I'm not obsessing. I'm just curious."

Have grown a thick crop of old guy hair in your ears too?
Not a thick crop, no... But definitely a good sprouting around the edges, and a thin tuft just inside. The nasal situation is worse, though. Every couple of months, instead of cutting my hair myself, I go to a local (and quite excellent) Turkish barbers in my town, and have the "full service" - hair cut, wet shave with hot towels, ear and nasal waxing. The first time I had the nasal waxing done, it was quite the surprise. Thankfully, I know the owner well enough to be forgiven the occasional curse word, and forgive he did, after a certain amount of laughter. Now, I find it kind of refreshing. Well, it wakes me up, at least

03-08-2019, 03:50 PM - 3 Likes   #63728
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Ditch the helmet thingy.
But... but... it feels so good in orbit, Bob
03-08-2019, 03:51 PM - 5 Likes   #63729
Veteran Member

I carry a little Victorinox Spartan
I carry a Victorinox Mechanic.
I'm not a mechanic, and assume you're not a Spartan.

03-08-2019, 03:54 PM - 3 Likes   #63730
Veteran Member

nasal waxing
Had to google that one.
Are You Nuts!!!!!
03-08-2019, 04:06 PM - 3 Likes   #63731
Veteran Member

But... but... it feels so good in orbit, Bob
Are you drinking tequila too?
03-08-2019, 04:10 PM - 5 Likes   #63732
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I quote Ricky in American Beauty: "I'm not obsessing. I'm just curious."

Not a thick crop, no... But definitely a good sprouting around the edges, and a thin tuft just inside. The nasal situation is worse, though. Every couple of months, instead of cutting my hair myself, I go to a local (and quite excellent) Turkish barbers in my town, and have the "full service" - hair cut, wet shave with hot towels, ear and nasal waxing. The first time I had the nasal waxing done, it was quite the surprise. Thankfully, I know the owner well enough to be forgiven the occasional curse word, and forgive he did, after a certain amount of laughter. Now, I find it kind of refreshing. Well, it wakes me up, at least
I just braid my nose hairs now.
03-08-2019, 04:11 PM - 3 Likes   #63733
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Had to google that one.
Are You Nuts!!!!!
I don't let 'em anywhere near my nuts. Just the nose and ears

I won't lie, the first time with the nasal waxing made my eyes water, and I let loose properly with expletives. The owner's young son (seven or eight years old at the time, as I recall) was there. He laughed as hard as his Dad. I'd like to think I taught him a couple of new words, but with kids these days, perhaps not

I think it's more shock than pain. As long as it's done quickly and cleanly, it's actually not so bad, and you definitely get used to it. It's mildly uncomfortable when I have it done now, but there's no shock any more and, if I'm honest, no real pain as such
03-08-2019, 04:14 PM - 5 Likes   #63734
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yay! 5000! Whoah...and another star in the firmament
Attached Images

Last edited by CharLac; 03-08-2019 at 04:15 PM. Reason: add proof
03-08-2019, 04:14 PM - 3 Likes   #63735
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As it was explained to me by a Norwegian many years ago:

Uff da is a very versatile word (so I guess it may be similar to "that other word", which can also be quite versatile, but after that the similarities diverge dramatically).

Uff da is an expression of joy or excitement.

It can be an expression of frustration.

Sometimes it is used in place of a sigh. And we all know a sigh is a multi faceted expression in and of itself.

Every now and then, as one lets out a breath, "Uff Da" comes out too.

It can be an interjection, expressing bafflement, surprise or dismay.

Sometimes it can express annoyance at something or someone.

I'm sure I have missed some here, as it is indeed an expression that covers a lot.

Sorry, eh?
A bit like the Afrikaans "ja-nee", which directly translated is yes-no. But means all manner of things.