Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2019, 11:29 AM   #63826
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
How do I get the NEW stack of Facebook, Twitter, Digg etc. Widgets at the top of every page in this thread to go away. FOREVER?
Ignore them.

I have been doing so forever.

So long that when I read your post I though, "What in tarnation is that boy railing about?"

So I had to scroll all the way up there, and sure enough, there they are.

The toilets of the internet.

So just ignore them. Pretty soon you will forget they are even there, and not even notice them.

03-09-2019, 11:32 AM - 4 Likes   #63827
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My excuse for the bald spot that's been growing on the top of my head for the last 2 dozen years is the suspension for my hard hat rubbing it away.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
03-09-2019, 11:32 AM - 5 Likes   #63828
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tequila’s Got Nuthin on Everclear

Purple Passion

INGREDIENTS
  • 24 1/2 gallon cans grape-flavored Hi-C drink
  • 12 1 gallon bottles Everclear 190 Proof grain alcohol
  • 60 lb. Ice
  • 1 Tri-Delt (or suitable substitute) Pledge in bikini under slacks, with legs unshaven since Tuesday
  • 1 new 30-gallon Rubbermaid Trash Can
  • Supply of 1 lb. coffee cans

In a 30 gallon Rubbermaid Trash Can
  1. Dump 40 lb. Ice in the Trash Can. Reserve 20 lb. Ice
  2. Dump 12 gallons Everclear in the Trash Can
  3. Cut off the entire top of each can of Hi-C. Don’t open with a Church Key. Dump grape-flavored Hi-C in the Trash Can. If there isn’t enough room you put in too much ice. If there is still room add ice until the Trash Can is full.
  4. De-pants Pledge. Drop Pledge in the Trash Can. Grab Pledge under the arms and stir the libation. Remove Pledge and set aside.
  5. Roll up left sleeve and immerse a coffee can in the mixture.
Serves 60

I lived on the ground floor of a converted carriage house. When I woke the linoleum entryway was an inch deep in the most vile smelling purple goo I’ve ever encountered. The Pledge was rolled up in a blanket in a corner with the same purple goo in her hair. To this day I cannot stomach grape-flavored anything.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-09-2019 at 03:32 PM.
03-09-2019, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #63829
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'll bet it does have a name.
My true collection started with Victorinox. Without counting I'd guess I have in the neighborhood of 25-30 and I've made a casual study of their history.
Post a picture of it sometime and one of us might be able to identify it.
Reminds me.

I have meant to photograph my knives and other hardware for some time now. I even have a knife I believe I have identified, and have some questions about, but need images first and then I can make a post on a knife forum I found some great discussion of that particular knife at.

03-09-2019, 11:38 AM - 2 Likes   #63830
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How do I get the NEW stack of Facebook, Twitter, Digg etc. Widgets at the top of every page in this thread to go away. FOREVER?
Consider Firefox with AdBlock plus make sure "block social media icons" option is ticked. I don't ever see those icons.
03-09-2019, 11:48 AM - 5 Likes   #63831
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I tell ya, the first time you walk into a bank like this, after spending half your life in Africa, it's a bit of an eye-opener!
As it was an eye-opener for a naive boy from peaceful Scandinavia to go through the security gates into a South African bank! I have since been to many an institution with AK-47 carrying guards, like post offices in Ethiopia. It probably stopped me from entertaining any thought of stealing stamps...
03-09-2019, 11:58 AM - 2 Likes   #63832
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Reminds me.

I have meant to photograph my knives and other hardware for some time now. I even have a knife I believe I have identified, and have some questions about, but need images first and then I can make a post on a knife forum I found some great discussion of that particular knife at.
bladeforums.com?

03-09-2019, 12:02 PM - 5 Likes   #63833
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
for a naive humble boy from peaceful Scandinavia
Fixed it for ya.
03-09-2019, 12:03 PM   #63834
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
bladeforums.com?
Maybe.

Set up an account 2 years while laid up with the right foot, with plans to shoot the knife and then post my questions, and, well, living and working got in the way.
03-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #63835
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dwalt Quote
Consider Firefox with AdBlock plus make sure "block social media icons" option is ticked. I don't ever see those icons.
I use Firefox and AdBlock+ and block icons is enabled. I use DuckDuckGo and AB+ Mobile on phone and tablet.That's why I was so surprised.
03-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #63836
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

As has already been suggested, use an ad-blocker. I run Firefox with uBlock Origin installed, and I can't recall the last time I saw and ad or link that I didn't want...
03-09-2019, 12:18 PM   #63837
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use Firefox and AdBlock+ and block icons is enabled. I use DuckDuckGo and AB+ Mobile on phone and tablet.That's why I was so surprised.
I just went through my AdBlock settings. I have a filter list named "EasyPrivacy". When I turn that off the social media icons come back.
From their website:
"EasyPrivacy is an optional supplementary filter list that completely removes all forms of tracking from the internet, including web bugs, tracking scripts and information collectors, thereby protecting your personal data."
03-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #63838
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dwalt Quote
I just went through my AdBlock settings. I have a filter list named "EasyPrivacy". When I turn that off the social media icons come back.
From their website:
"EasyPrivacy is an optional supplementary filter list that completely removes all forms of tracking from the internet, including web bugs, tracking scripts and information collectors, thereby protecting your personal data."
Turns out on my tablet I whitelisted PF In EasyPrivacy using DuckDuckGo. Unfortunately I can’t find the Settings button to Edit Whitelist.
03-09-2019, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #63839
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Outside?

Rupert Story™

When I was 12 or 13 some of the guys in my scout troop and I planned a "scout troop campout" on a weekend when the real scout troop didn't have one. Kind of a guys weekend away.

We hitchhiked out of town into the nearby mountains and hiked deep into the woods.

In the morning, while fixing breakfast one of the kids set up and gave himself a shave. An early bloomer, he was already shaving every day.

He was almost a wolfman he was so hairy.

He even shaved the end of his nose.

Throwback.

Me?

Peach fuzz.
We had a bloke like that in the army in my barracks. He used to shave down to the neck line. Under his shirt he looked like a gorilla, except more hairy.
03-09-2019, 02:59 PM - 2 Likes   #63840
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
We had a bloke like that in the army in my barracks. He used to shave down to the neck line. Under his shirt he looked like a gorilla, except more hairy.
I used to be sort of like that. I still have the hairy chest and legs, but my arms seem less hairy these days. I used to have weird "shoulder pads" of hair, like Judge Dredd shoulder-protectors, but made of hair. They've all-but-disappeared these days, or rather blended in to look like the rest.

Two areas, front and back, continue to produce more hair than I can handle. I can work with the front section using stout scissors, but the back would be a pain in the a.. Literally