03-21-2019, 11:57 AM - 2 Likes   #64546
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
The prep kind of puts me off food.
That's kinda the idea.

The gastroenterologist wants a clean pallet.

03-21-2019, 12:03 PM   #64547
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Actually it is a she, not a he.

And I bet she drives a Lexus or an Infinity.

Maybe a Range Rover.
There is a lady where I work who I have concluded does not really work for the money.
She drives a 2018 Range Rover and wears different clothes almost every day, all of the kind of brands one gets at Bicester.
03-21-2019, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #64548
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Looks like Mrs CharLac has been hit by a chest cold
Aw, get well soon Mrs C!

I am feeling crummy this morning as well
Ow, no hug for you!

I am at work and gung ho to perform as many miracles as possible
Business as usual, eh...

it looks like we are going back to Mexico in May to treat the kids to a week of sunshine, poolside relaxation, and maybe even a deep sea fishing outing
Again?!

Good
03-21-2019, 12:41 PM - 2 Likes   #64549
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Looks like you got plenty of antifreeze the Bob.
Yeah, there's always something to drink round at Bob's...

03-21-2019, 12:47 PM   #64550
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That actually sounds good, except for the tomatoes; unless they were home grown, that is. I can't remember the last time I had a commercially grown tomato that wasn't the texture of an apple and the flavor of a glass of water.
The only fresh tomatoes I like are the really ripened ones that come still on the vine. If I'm cooking, I mostly cheat and use tinned tomatoes.

Over here, we've had an influx of strawberries from Egypt and Morocco recently. They look incredible - the size of plumbs and deep red in colour - but barely taste of anything. Around June, UK-grown strawberries will appear in the shops again. No good strawbs 'til then...
03-21-2019, 12:52 PM   #64551
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a lady where I work who I have concluded does not really work for the money.
She drives a 2018 Range Rover and wears different clothes almost every day, all of the kind of brands one gets at Bicester.
Does Tag Heuer still have an outlet at Bicester? During my watch collecting years, I picked up numerous watches from there at ridiculously low prices... Mostly brand new with full papers and warranty, plus a couple that were sales demo models with minor wear marks on the body or bracelets (easily remedied with abrasive papers and/or Cape Cod cloth). About a third of my remaining collection must be Tag Heuer or other brands from the same group company, all bought at Bicester

I really ought to start selling them off, as I don't wear many of them now... and I've just paid my Council Tax for the year... £2,374 (USD $3,109), of which £1,805 is the to the Council, £138 to Adult Social Care, £126 for Fire & Rescue Authority, £250 for the Police and Crime Commissioner, and £53 for the local Parish Council. If I sold a watch or two, it'd put my bank balance back to where it was

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-21-2019 at 01:00 PM.
03-21-2019, 01:35 PM   #64552
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Does Tag Heuer still have an outlet at Bicester? During my watch collecting years, I picked up numerous watches from there at ridiculously low prices... Mostly brand new with full papers and warranty, plus a couple that were sales demo models with minor wear marks on the body or bracelets (easily remedied with abrasive papers and/or Cape Cod cloth). About a third of my remaining collection must be Tag Heuer or other brands from the same group company, all bought at Bicester

I really ought to start selling them off, as I don't wear many of them now... and I've just paid my Council Tax for the year... £2,374 (USD $3,109), of which £1,805 is the to the Council, £138 to Adult Social Care, £126 for Fire & Rescue Authority, £250 for the Police and Crime Commissioner, and £53 for the local Parish Council. If I sold a watch or two, it'd put my bank balance back to where it was
I think they are still there. Would be the same shop as Georg Jensen, mainly associated with elegant home wares, such as candlesticks and similar.

03-21-2019, 01:40 PM - 2 Likes   #64553
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tranny was going out on my truck.
Mrs Bob followed me to the local repair place, with some shoulder driving I got within about 200 yards of the shop..
It wouldn't pull the last hill. Supposed to be ready by Tuesday, and our bank account will be $1,500 lighter.
03-21-2019, 01:41 PM   #64554
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I think they are still there. Would be the same shop as Georg Jensen, mainly associated with elegant home wares, such as candlesticks and similar.
Ah, OK. Sounds like it has changed, though... They used to have a unit of their own, facing onto the flat-level parking just as you come into the park. It was a small unit - the smallest available walk-around space, I think. But always had some great items available. Whenever my ex and I visited, she would go off looking around the handbag and shoe shops, I would rush to the Tag Heuer outlet and spend a good hour or so looking at and trying on different watches, occasionally buying one. I got to know them quite well, and they used to keep me in coffee and tea while I was browsing (never a bad sales tactic )...
03-21-2019, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #64555
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

how many watches does one need?
mrs r, when she was still miss t, bought me a nice Omega (probably the cheapest available at the time, but I understand it was a whole pay cheque plus a bit) for my 21st birthday. I will be 51 years in May.
I have replaced the leather band quite a few times and a crystal or two and a couple of crowns, even had it cleaned once, perhaps twice; still keeps good time.
03-21-2019, 02:00 PM - 2 Likes   #64556
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

The only fresh tomatoes I like are the really ripened ones that come still on the vine. If I'm cooking, I mostly cheat and use tinned tomatoes.
Yes, good tomatoes can be hard to come by. Might as well go for tinned when cooking - some of the polpa tins aren't bad at all.

Over here, we've had an influx of strawberries from Egypt and Morocco recently. They look incredible - the size of plumbs and deep red in colour - but barely taste of anything. Around June, UK-grown strawberries will appear in the shops again. No good strawbs 'til then...
It's the same here. Fantastic looking strawberries that taste of scented water. The short summers over here produces some really good strawberries - unless too much rain, or too little rain - or both! - ruins the harvest. In which case they still taste heavenly, but only doctors and lawyers can afford them
03-21-2019, 02:06 PM - 2 Likes   #64557
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Georg Jensen... Looks good, but not always really useable. We have a salad bowl that is so unstable that it topples the second you put the accompanying salad servers in. We have some cutting boards that look good and actually functions well, though. But then, how hard can that be...

Nope, we didn't buy any of it. Just some of the many useless presents you get from employers over the years.
03-21-2019, 02:07 PM - 3 Likes   #64558
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Tranny was going out on my truck.
Mrs Bob followed me to the local repair place, with some shoulder driving I got within about 200 yards of the shop..
It wouldn't pull the last hill. Supposed to be ready by Tuesday, and our bank account will be $1,500 lighter.
Ouch.

At least you won't be buying any K-3 anytime soon.
03-21-2019, 02:19 PM   #64559
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote

mrs r, when she was still miss t, bought me a nice Omega (probably the cheapest available at the time, but I understand it was a whole pay cheque plus a bit) for my 21st birthday. I will be 51 years in May.
I have replaced the leather band quite a few times and a crystal or two and a couple of crowns, even had it cleaned once, perhaps twice; still keeps good time.
I love Omega watches, and whether it was the cheapest or most expensive makes no difference. The quality is just as good for them all, especially where the movement is concerned.

And I agree, you only need one. But back when I was earning well, I collected them... everything from inexpensive Japanese models, through mid-range Swiss, to a handful of high end models, along with UK, US and Soviet military issue watches.

There are only two I want to keep now... a Rolex GMT Master II that my Dad gave me (it used to be his daily wearer), and an Omega Seamaster chronograph that my Mum & Dad bought for me some years back. And I'll only keep both of those for sentimental reasons, as I rarely even wear a watch these days The rest of my collection is a "nest egg", I guess. The cheaper ones won't fetch much, but the mid-to-higher-end models seem to be increasing in value at least in line with inflation, and in some cases better...
03-21-2019, 02:25 PM - 2 Likes   #64560
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Some folks collect things, Rod.
Sounds like Mike did well from an investment standpoint.
All I need is my Timex Weekender, looks like this one: