Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
03-21-2019, 02:29 PM - 2 Likes   #64561
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
All I need is my Timex Weekender
I never wear a watch around the house, but feel weird if I go out without it, like I've forgotten my wallet or cell phone.

03-21-2019, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #64562
Veteran Member

My dad, being blind, had a braille pocket watch he carried for years, it's one of my prized possessions.
In later years he had a "talking" wristwatch.
03-21-2019, 02:51 PM - 4 Likes   #64563
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Does Tag Heuer still have an outlet at Bicester? During my watch collecting years, I picked up numerous watches from there at ridiculously low prices... Mostly brand new with full papers and warranty, plus a couple that were sales demo models with minor wear marks on the body or bracelets (easily remedied with abrasive papers and/or Cape Cod cloth). About a third of my remaining collection must be Tag Heuer or other brands from the same group company, all bought at Bicester

I really ought to start selling them off, as I don't wear many of them now... and I've just paid my Council Tax for the year... £2,374 (USD $3,109), of which £1,805 is the to the Council, £138 to Adult Social Care, £126 for Fire & Rescue Authority, £250 for the Police and Crime Commissioner, and £53 for the local Parish Council. If I sold a watch or two, it'd put my bank balance back to where it was
I picked up one of these when I worked in Switzerland. I wear it every day. Proper watch...you wind it.

03-21-2019, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #64564
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Some folks collect things, Rod.
Sounds like Mike did well from an investment standpoint.
My purchases were utterly self-indulgent (and, occasionally, foolish) at a time when I could afford them. Looking back, with the benefit of more experience, a gentle sprinkling of wisdom and common sense, I'd have spent that money differently. It's nothing more than pure luck that some of the watches I bought have appreciated in value... And it makes me think I ought to liquidate some of them sooner rather than later, just to hedge in case they should all drop in value

All I need is my Timex Weekender
Nice.

When I do wear a watch, and it's not often now, I generally wear a Casio

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-21-2019 at 03:15 PM.
03-21-2019, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #64565
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tranny was going out on my truck.
Mrs Bob followed me to the local repair place, with some shoulder driving I got within about 200 yards of the shop..
It wouldn't pull the last hill. Supposed to be ready by Tuesday, and our bank account will be $1,500 lighter.
Darn transmissions
03-21-2019, 04:23 PM - 2 Likes   #64566
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
A shot I made of the fireplace just before we moved in to the new house.
That's a very nice fireplace, Racer

I never had a "log burner" until I bought this place back in late 2014, and it was already installed... otherwise, I'm not sure I'd have shelled out for one. But I love having it, especially on those cold, wet and grey afternoons. Mine looks a little "contrived" to me... my house was built in the early 90s, and this looks like it's trying for an older house look. If I was getting one installed, I'd go for something more like yours. But I still like it... and it kicks out a lot of heat

I don't know how long I'll be able to use mine for. There's been talk of our government cracking down on the use of log burners for environmental reasons Hopefully, I'll get a few more years out of her...
Attached Images

03-21-2019, 04:39 PM - 2 Likes   #64567
Veteran Member

But I love having it, especially on those cold, wet and grey afternoons.
You have that sort of weather in England?
Nice stove Mike!
Our wood burning fireplace probably robs us of more heat than it generates, but we love it.

03-21-2019, 04:44 PM - 5 Likes   #64568
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a very nice fireplace, Racer

I never had a "log burner" until I bought this place back in late 2014, and it was already installed... otherwise, I'm not sure I'd have shelled out for one. But I love having it, especially on those cold, wet and grey afternoons. Mine looks a little "contrived" to me... my house was built in the early 90s, and this looks like it's trying for an older house look. If I was getting one installed, I'd go for something more like yours. But I still like it... and it kicks out a lot of heat

I don't know how long I'll be able to use mine for. There's been talk of our government cracking down on the use of log burners for environmental reasons Hopefully, I'll get a few more years out of her...
Yet another example of new technology destroying the environment.
Burning wood! Geez, what a ridiculous idea.
We should go back to heating homes the old fashioned way.....
Wait.
Wut?
Nevermind.
03-21-2019, 04:57 PM - 4 Likes   #64569
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice stove Mike!
Our wood burning fireplace probably robs us of more heat than it generates, but we love it.
Yep, I miss the wood burner
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot SD600  Photo 
03-21-2019, 05:03 PM   #64570
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like Adam is recruiting new admins. Seems that some of "you" spend too much time here!
03-21-2019, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #64571
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice stove Mike!
Yeah, who'da thunk it? Bad weather in England??

Thanks, Bob. I don't use it often... especially since I got my new gas boiler installed. But in late Autumn and through Winter, I like to run it on the colder days. The heat is nice, but honestly, it's as much for the visual impact as anything... There's something very inviting, comforting and calming about reading the local newspaper, listening to the radio or watching a movie with the fire on

Actually, having never owned one prior to 2014, it took me a little while to understand it and get used to using it. I now keep a small stock of birch and oak logs in the garage, and chop them to size as necessary. The birch burns hot and quickly, while the oak burns slower and with less heat. I've tried various woodchip logs and other fuels with it, but settled on kiln-dried birch and oak after a while.

Ah, now that's a fire-side scene. Very nice, Bob. It's not just the fireplace, but how it fits into the overall space... am I right? Your lovely doggie clearly agrees
03-21-2019, 05:06 PM   #64572
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Looks like Adam is recruiting new admins. Seems that some of "you" spend too much time here!
Contrary to widespread and popular belief, "we're only human, after all"
03-21-2019, 05:12 PM - 2 Likes   #64573
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Admins are super humans... if you are not, then not qualified to be an admin... 3 periods for real!
03-21-2019, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #64574
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Admins are super humans... if you are not, then not qualified to be an admin... 3 periods for real!
Well, that's me out of a job, then
03-21-2019, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #64575
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"we're only human, after all"
You all send people with differing opinions of yours to the basement/ gulag