Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2019, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #64966
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
You guys act like the only fries we have are from fast food joints.
We have steak, curly, sweet potato, shoestring, waffle, garlic, crinkle cut, wedges, chili cheese, bacon cheese, cottage, home, and tornado fries, to name a few.
Variety is the spice of life.
You left out tater tots Bob.

03-30-2019, 10:29 AM - 2 Likes   #64967
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

Oh, but I did manage to capture Mr Parallax' moment of notoriety a few years back

Look!

Parallax is a Hun, just like you!
03-30-2019, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #64968
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
You left out tater tots Bob.
03-30-2019, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #64969
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

You guys act like the only fries we have are from fast food joints.
We have steak, curly, sweet potato, shoestring, waffle, garlic, crinkle cut, wedges, chili cheese, bacon cheese, cottage, home, and tornado fries, to name a few.
Variety is the spice of life.
McDonalds does all those?!

We don't have quite that many over here (though if you guys have 'em, I've no doubt they'll appear here soon enough ).

But we also have the British fish-and-chip-shop chip...

03-30-2019, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #64970
Veteran Member

I forgot to include Bob's giant skillet fries:

03-30-2019, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #64971
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
McDonalds does all those?!
No.

Mack's Lounge only has one kind of fry, and they suck.

Dairy Queen has the best pretty good fries.

Jack In The Box has the curly fries, seasoned no less. Pretty good, but I swore off junk food. *sigh*

We don't have quite that many over here (though if you guys have 'em, I've no doubt they'll appear here soon enough ).
The waffle fries can be had in the grocer's frozen "foods" section.

Along with potatoes done in more ways that you might think. Boggles the mind how much cranial capacity has been devoted to the potato on our plates, yet we have far more pressing need in the world . . . . . .

But we also have the British fish-and-chip-shop chip...
Some of the fish and chip places here have them the way you do. We have a regional place, Ivar's, that started out as a walk up on the Seattle waterfront, and after Ivar passed has evolved into the regional chain of dine in/take out fish, chips and chowder. Pretty good, and one I will make an exception for on my list of prohibited junk/fast food.

Also, another regional restaurant/pub, The Buzz Inn, has fries that way if you chose, or more American fries that are cut a bit fatter than the junk food variety, and from washed, but not peeled potatoes. Either go very well with a bacon (cheddar) cheeseburger on a sourdough hard roll, and a beer. I get tartar sauce to dip the fires in (I abhor ketchup).

While eating at whatever greasy spoon of the day I was at when driving trucks, many places offered the fries like your chips, calling them home fries. But they aren't really good unless they get the outside a darker golden brown crispy, and the inside fluffy.

That is how all fires should be done.

Dark golden brown outside, fluffy light inside.

Not pale yellow barely crisp outside and mush inside.

Yuk.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 03-30-2019 at 08:35 PM. Reason: [
03-30-2019, 12:50 PM - 2 Likes   #64972
Veteran Member

The waffle fries can be had in the grocer's frozen "foods" section.
Chick fil-A has pretty good ones, especially with some of their Texas Petes hot sauce packets.

03-30-2019, 01:42 PM   #64973
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Mmmyes, well, I prefer if the wine can taste something without relying on the crutch of high alcohol. It can quickly be like adding salt to a dish until it tastes nothing but salt - and calling it "adding some flavour". Some is needed, but too much is too much.

That said, some wines can carry more alcohol than others before getting too "heavy".

Same thing with liqours. Too high alcohol will kill off the flavours. A cask strength silngle malt is all well and good, but adding a dash of water will release so much more of the lovely flavours.
Got these two the other day but I'll wait a while before opening them....I have a few other open bottles I need to finish first.

anCnoc Peatheart Whisky - Master of Malt

Octomore 9.1 - 5 Year Old - American Oak Scotch Whisky : The Whisky Exchange
03-30-2019, 02:03 PM - 3 Likes   #64974
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Sickie's Garage has great sweet potato fries.
03-30-2019, 02:19 PM - 2 Likes   #64975
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Some of the fish and chip [places here have them the way you do. We have a regional place, Ivar's, that started out as a walk up on the Seattle waterfront, and after Ivar passed has evolved into the regional chain of dine in/take out fish, chips and chowder. Pretty good, and one I will make an exception for on my list of prohibited junk/fast food.

Also, another regional restaurant/pub, The Buzz Inn, has fries that way if you chose, or more American fries that are cut a bit fatter than the junk food variety, and from washed, but not peeled potatoes. Either go very well with a bacon (cheddar) cheeseburger on a sourdough hard roll, and a beer. I get tartar sauce to dip the fires in (I abhor ketchup).
I applaud Ivar's and The Buzz Inn for their cultural and culinary breadth. There is hope, indeed

While eating at whatever greasy spoon of the day I was at when driving trucks, many places offered the fries like your chips, calling them home fries. But they aren't really good unless they get the outside a darker golden brown crispy, and the inside fluffy.

That is how all fires should be done.

Dark golden brown outside, fluffy light inside.

Not pale yellow barely crisp outside and mush inside.

Yuk.
Without wanting to denigrate any individual style of cooked potato product, this is where I must respectfully take mild issue...

I will preface my claim by stating that I like fries with a crispy golden outer and fluffy, lighter inside. Many restaurants here serve them (of widely-varying quality, it must be said), and should folks be unwise enough to buy what we call "oven chips" (pre-prepared chips for defrosting and heating in the oven at home), that's the style they typically aim for - although the flavour, to me, is nothing like a British chip or proper American "French" fry. Whatever the bag might have written on it, though, these are fries of a kind, not proper chips.

The traditional British fish-and-chip-shop chip - which is identical to those my Mum made at home, and her Mum before her - is an entirely different affair. Typically, I'd say it's a half-inch-per-side square-cut chip except for those taken from the edge of the potato (though size and shape can vary somewhat) and deep-fat-fried just once - ideally in beef dripping, but lesser establishments might use any number (and age ) of vegetable oils - resulting in an exterior that is golden, perhaps edging into lightly-browned, not crispy (though some minor surface resistance is typical), with an inside that looks like the centre of a freshly boiled or baked potato and has almost the same texture, but ever-so-slightly softer. Not quite al dente, but not soft and fluffy either.

Many lesser fish-and-chip shops (and even some allegedly better ones) now serve thick cut fries rather than traditional chips, and I don't mind them. Actually, I quite like them if they're of good quality and nicely cooked. But they're not proper British chips.

I'm not suggesting any one style is better than the other... but, rather, my preference for the food-stuff of my youth, our original national interpretation of it. Just like I prefer Heinz Salad Cream as a sandwich dressing rather than the continental and American preference for mayonnaise (which I also like)
03-30-2019, 03:56 PM - 2 Likes   #64976
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Sickie's Garage has great sweet potato fries.
Checked their menu, Mrs Bob, Brooke, and I need a road trip, even if it means having to go to SD.
Loaded waffle fries for an appetizer.

03-30-2019, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #64977
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Checked their menu, Mrs Bob, Brooke, and I need a road trip, even if it means having to go to SD.
That looks wonderful.

Like our skies here in the UK, our food - certainly in past times - has always looked less colourful and inviting than American fayre. I don't subscribe to the notion that our cuisine has been in any way boring - though typical home cooking up until the late 70s might reasonably be considered unadventurous - but it hasn't typically been as bright and glitzy as dishes from across the pond. Of course, that's changed in the last two or three decades...

Still, you wouldn't expect to buy "loaded waffle fries" in a local cafe (my apologies... "diner") around here. Beef mince pie, chips and peas is more likely
03-30-2019, 06:06 PM - 2 Likes   #64978
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Then try a Twin Cam, or a Turbo Twin Cam for the main course.
Mmmmm..... Mmmm!
03-30-2019, 06:17 PM   #64979
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Then try a Twin Cam, or a Turbo Twin Cam for the main course.
Only in America Here, you get "Burger and chips with peas or baked beans"... Over there, you get something with a "Twin Cam" or "Turbo Twin Cam"... It's easy to see why our youth culture is so receptive to the USA...
03-30-2019, 06:31 PM - 2 Likes   #64980
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The Twin Cam is a half pound patty, bacon, and cheese between two grilled cheese sandwiches instead of a bun. The Turbo charged is two patties, bacon, cheese, and a fried egg between 2 grilled cheese sandwiches.
I usually get the single. I tried the turbo once and couldn't come near finishing it.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »