Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
It has happened.

The End Times have arrived.
Thanks! I missed the end times myself. I guess I'll have to wait for 66,666

04-02-2019, 10:48 AM - 6 Likes   #65162
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We're all so glad it wasn't your hemorrhoids that were operated on.

04-02-2019, 10:50 AM - 2 Likes   #65163
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Thanks! I missed the end times myself. I guess I'll have to wait for 66,666
Or at least try to snag that post number.
04-02-2019, 11:08 AM - 3 Likes   #65164
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
We're all so glad it wasn't your hemorrhoids that were operated on.
Haven't had the joy of that business yet. Besides, even with the awesome tilting screen on my K-1, I doubt I still have enough flexibility left to be able to compose, focus and shoot that part of me.

I tried to get a shot of the side of my heel where the doc pulled the bone for the graft, but even using that awesome tilting screen on my K-1 I couldn't pull the whole thing off.

Today I am going to mount the D FA100mm f2.8 Macro WR and see if maybe a newer autofocus lens can get a better shot.

04-02-2019, 11:12 AM - 2 Likes   #65165
Veteran Member

They must do 'em different up there, here they're frozen uncooked patties they flame broil.
up here they come in "flame broiled" and are nuked unless that has changed all the BK around me have closed there is one in Chinatown but why would I eat there when I could have so many other good choices (plus my fave "fast food" mexican is a block or 2 away)
04-02-2019, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #65166
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'd appreciate that, Tim - yes please!

It might be available in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. We have a few Asian supermarkets around Chinatown, but my guess is they stock mostly Chinese and Thai supplies. But I guess there's a possibility they might stock tofu. In any case, if you'd be kind enough to let me know the brand, I'll search online. Thanks!

EDIT: I've just done a quick search on Asian supermarkets in Newcastle, and it looks like there are some that offer Japanese products too, so I reckon I could get tofu there:

A Quick Guide To Toon?s Asian Supermarkets | Geordie Japan
House Foods. Made in USA. 400g packs. Various colour labels for levels of firmness. We get the red ‘firm’ one. It is 1.85 each at the Chinese in Hythe Bridge St, Oxford. SeeWoo, Reading sell it a bit less and only about 1.35 each if you buy a whole box of 12.
04-02-2019, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #65167
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
House Foods. Made in USA. 400g packs. Various colour labels for levels of firmness. We get the red ‘firm’ one. It is 1.85 each at the Chinese in Hythe Bridge St, Oxford. SeeWoo, Reading sell it a bit less and only about 1.35 each if you buy a whole box of 12.
yow I forget how good I have it for food access in a large city (remind me again why I am thinking of retiring someplace smaller...) I get Tofu from a Japanese guy who makes it in traditional nigari style so much better than mass produced stuff. freezes well too. he has built quite a business since the first time I bought from him at a market
Nigari Tofu - Ying Ying Soy Food
makes great miso as well

04-02-2019, 11:22 AM - 2 Likes   #65168
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You're quite the salesman, aren't you...!
No, just an engineer. We are honest and tell it how it is.
04-02-2019, 11:30 AM   #65169
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

No, just an engineer. We are honest and tell it how it is.

And nobody ever thanked you for it
04-02-2019, 11:31 AM   #65170
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Or at least try to snag that post number.
Just around the corner.

Alternatively, just keep posting and your count will soon be there, too!
04-02-2019, 11:44 AM - 4 Likes   #65171
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Eating any human liver would be a bad idea - beyond cannibalism in general being a bad idea. The liver will contain exactly all the nasty stuff that your body wants to get rid of.

Good to remember the next time your plane crashes in the Andes - let the liver be.
Good tip. Man, you caught me just in time. Guess I'll have a snacking salami instead...
04-02-2019, 12:03 PM - 4 Likes   #65172
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Funnily enough, A&W in Canada has had huge success with a vegetarian burger they developed, , they have rolled out a sausage patty variant now for breakfast sandwiches. I tried one of the burgers and it may be heresy but I think they nailed it...and if you like you can get it with bacon and cheese
It's not that I have anything against vegetarian food. I don't particularly want to be completely vegetarian because I enjoy good meat (ethically raised and dispatched wherever possible), but if I were to go down that route, I'd have no problem with it. I frequently cook simple but tasty dishes with no meat in them - various vegetable and pulse curries, chow meins, pasta sauces, soups, dips etc. and I know there's a whole world of delicious vegetarian recipes I could learn to make. I spent a week in India on business, never ate meat once, and every dish I tried for breakfast, lunch and dinner was wonderful.

What bugs me - and I'm going to borrow a term from the snowflakes and social justice warriors here - is vegetarian / vegan "cultural appropriation" through the shaping and naming of vegetable-based dishes to mimic the original meat versions. Don't combine vegetables and other veggie ingredients into a puck and call it a "burger". It's not a burger, it's a vegetable patty, perfectly delicious and appetising as it is. Don't make a nut cutlet and shape it into the vague form a chicken leg. It's not a chicken leg, it's a nut cutlet. It too is delicious tastes OK. Shaping and/or naming the item as if to fool the senses into believing it's somehow just as good and more-or-less the same as a meat product is ridiculous and tragic, and it's not fooling anyone. Least of all me.

I'll be back shortly. I'm just off to punch a carrot....

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-02-2019 at 12:46 PM.
04-02-2019, 12:21 PM - 2 Likes   #65173
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll be back shortly. I'm just off to punch a carrot....
I thought I'd feel better after that, but I don't. It went down with one swing... put up no resistance, then just lay there, looking back up at me accusingly
04-02-2019, 12:32 PM   #65174
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, Tim, much appreciated. I'll look out for that when I visit the Chinatown supermarkets in Newcastle... Always nice to have a brand recommendation. And that's so cheap!!! 400g for £1.85?! My only concern would be getting it home... Takes about half an hourto get out of Newcastle and back to my place. I guess that shouldn't be a major problem, though...
04-02-2019, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #65175
Veteran Member

What bugs me - and I'm going to borrow a term from the snowflakes and social justice warriors here - is vegetarian / vegan "cultural appropriation" through the shaping and naming of vegetable-based dishes to mimic the real meat version. Don't combine vegetables and other veggie ingredients into a puck and call it a "burger". It's not a burger, it's a vegetable patty. It's delicious as it is. Don't make a nut cutlet and shape it into the vague form a chicken leg. It's not a chicken leg, it's a nut cutlet. It too is delicious tastes OK. Shaping and/or naming the item as if to fool the senses into believing it's somehow just as good and more-or-less the same as a meat product is ridiculous and tragic, and it's not fooling anyone. Least of all me.
Don't forget the almond, soy, etc "milk"