Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #65251
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 12,449
Hmmm.... Odd...

We have thunder, cloud-to-cloud or intra-cloud lightning and rain tonight (common enough)... But the lightning - not the thunder - has just set off several car and home alarms in what I think is my road. Never had that before... the thunder occasionally kicks off some alarms (presumably due to motion from the sound waves), but I've never noticed the lightning doing it (which suggests it's electrical)...

04-03-2019, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #65252
Pentaxian
robtcorl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,091
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
No bacon today, Bob - nor indeed the day before

Monday brunch was bacon, fried egg, fried mushrooms, baked beans (I added a little Tabasco to mine), fried tomatoes and toast (cooked by my Mum). The bacon was streaky, crispy and plentiful.

Yesterday, I made an improvised "Panackelty" (local dish - po' folks food again )... Layers of corned beef (our tinned corned beef, that is), diced onions, diced carrot, green beans (just for a change, and because I had some spare), and two layers of thin sliced potatoes, drenched in beef gravy with lots of pepper and some minced garlic, cooked in the oven for an 90 minutes. 'Twas delicious. Enough for four, demolished by three before the clock struck one.

Today, I cooked bratwurst, British-chip-shop-style chips (no, not fries), and peas, with a home-made curry ketchup for the sausages - drained tinned Italian tomatoes, onions fried in curry powder and hot paprika, minced garlic, red wine vinegar and honey, blended smooth and reduced over heat. Clean plates all round

Tomorrow, we'll be eating light. My cousin is coming over in the evening and treating us to an Indian food delivery from our favourite local restaurant / take-away. So, maybe a slice of toast in the a.m. and a sandwich or soup for lunch...

No tube-steaks, no nut milk
You're eating like a king!
I'm sure you would like our open face roast beef, a favorite of mine since childhood. Or perhaps you have it over there.
Thin slices of roast beef on top of slices of soft bread, a side of mashed potatoes, all smothered in beef gravy.
If a veggie is a must, green beans cooked with onions and bacon.
04-03-2019, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #65253
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 12,449
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
You're eating like a king!
We do OK Mostly simple food, but always tasty There are plenty of days where I just have a sandwich and/or soup for lunch or dinner

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I'm sure you would like our open face roast beef, a favorite of mine since childhood. Or perhaps you have it over there.
Thin slices of roast beef on top of slices of soft bread, a side of mashed potatoes, all smothered in beef gravy.
If a veggie is a must, green beans cooked with onions and bacon.
Ah, that sounds awesome... and no, we don't do exactly that sort of thing here - at least, not with the bread (I really like the idea of that). A good Sunday roast lunch up here might be thin sliced beef with mashed potato (lots of butter, of course), another veg such as sliced carrots, peas or green beans, and a Yorkshire pudding filled with gravy and onions. As for the bread, when I was a kid, my Grandad used to mop up the juices from a pan or roasting tray with a slice of bread and give that to me. I loved it, and I guess your open face roast beef sort of incorporates that into the meal. Nice
04-03-2019, 03:07 PM - 3 Likes   #65254
Pentaxian
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,875
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
We do OK Mostly simple food, but always tasty There are plenty of days where I just have a sandwich and/or soup for lunch or dinner



Ah, that sounds awesome... and no, we don't do exactly that sort of thing here - at least, not with the bread (I really like the idea of that). A good Sunday roast lunch up here might be thin sliced beef with mashed potato (lots of butter, of course), another veg such as sliced carrots, peas or green beans, and a Yorkshire pudding filled with gravy and onions. As for the bread, when I was a kid, my Grandad used to mop up the juices from a pan or roasting tray with a slice of bread and give that to me. I loved it, and I guess your open face roast beef sort of incorporates that into the meal. Nice
sunday roast is the best. last time we were in london we had ours at a pub a friend works at. packed place lots of big tables of families ... was a fantastic roast with all the fixins as described..... and even better they offered up seconds ....i rolled out of there ..... the anchor and hope 36 the cut in south london... lovely food every time we have eaten there ..for anyone headed to london

---------- Post added 3rd Apr 2019 at 17:13 ----------

tonights dinner marinated nigiri tofu fried w lots of veg and tossed with homemade noodles

04-03-2019, 03:19 PM - 2 Likes   #65255
Pentaxian
robtcorl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,091
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
tonights dinner marinated nigiri tofu fried w lots of veg and tossed with homemade noodles
no comment from this old simple country boy.
04-03-2019, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #65256
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 12,449
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
sunday roast is the best. last time we were in london we had ours at a pub a friend works at. packed place lots of big tables of families ... was a fantastic roast with all the fixins as described..... and even better they offered up seconds ....i rolled out of there ..... the anchor and hope 36 the cut in south london... lovely food every time we have eaten there ..for anyone headed to london
During my last couple of years down South, I lived a few minutes' walk from The Anchor & Hope... great food, as you rightly say. Definitely one of the better quality "pubs" south of the Thames, at least so far as food is concerned. Actually, there's a few decent places to eat between Waterloo and London Bridge, on The Cut and closer to The City. My favourite seafood restaurant, Applebees, was just five minutes' walk from The Anchor. And if you walk South of The Cut (best to do so with a group if it's at night), there are some really cheap and excellent ethnic eateries. Basic, but the food is fantastic.

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
tonights dinner marinated nigiri tofu fried w lots of veg and tossed with homemade noodles
Y U M M Y !!!! That looks delicious... Where's the rest of it??
04-03-2019, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #65257
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 12,449
Sorry to keep going on about food (though I don't imagine there'll be much push-back from this esteemed group), but...

I will stand up and make a confession:

"My name is Mike, and I've never cooked ribs"...

I'd like to try cooking some pork ribs for me and my folks, but UK weather dictates I'll have to do that indoors unless I wait for the Summer (and even then, it's a crap-shoot). Do any of you good people have recommended recipes and/or ways of cooking ribs in the kitchen? I know I could just season them and stick them in the oven like I do with pork belly, and they'd probably be OK... but it'd be nice to do something a little more than that...
04-03-2019, 03:38 PM - 2 Likes   #65258
Pentaxian
robtcorl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,091
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
"My name is Mike, and I've never cooked ribs"...

I'd like to try cooking some pork ribs for me and my folks, but UK weather dictates I'll have to do that indoors unless I wait for the Summer (and even then, it's a crap-shoot). Do any of you good people have recommended recipes and/or ways of cooking ribs in the kitchen? I know I could just season them and stick them in the oven like I do with pork belly, and they'd probably be OK... but it'd be nice to do something a little more than that..
Wish I could help on how to cook them indoors, my only advice is to ignore advice from Parallax, if he gives it.

04-03-2019, 04:24 PM - 3 Likes   #65259
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,112
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Wish I could help on how to cook them indoors, my only advice is to ignore advice from Parallax, if he gives it.
04-03-2019, 04:56 PM - 2 Likes   #65260
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,651
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
He knew that, he's just being a smart donkey.
04-03-2019, 04:58 PM - 3 Likes   #65261
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,651
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Sorry to keep going on about food (though I don't imagine there'll be much push-back from this esteemed group), but...

I will stand up and make a confession:

"My name is Mike, and I've never cooked ribs"...

I'd like to try cooking some pork ribs for me and my folks, but UK weather dictates I'll have to do that indoors unless I wait for the Summer (and even then, it's a crap-shoot). Do any of you good people have recommended recipes and/or ways of cooking ribs in the kitchen? I know I could just season them and stick them in the oven like I do with pork belly, and they'd probably be OK... but it'd be nice to do something a little more than that...
Next thing you're going to tell us you don't own a Weber (or two) .
04-03-2019, 05:57 PM - 3 Likes   #65262
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wangaratta, Victoria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,513
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
unless I wait for the Summer
is summer long enough?
I think it takes longer to bbq anything than you have got time available.
04-03-2019, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #65263
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,031
QuoteOriginally posted by bigmackcam Quote
all this talk of chowing on tube steaks and drinking nut milk is making me feel uneasy....
Left yourself wide open there Mike.

Wide open.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 04-03-2019 at 07:17 PM.
04-03-2019, 06:45 PM - 2 Likes   #65264
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,651
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Sorry to keep going on about food (though I don't imagine there'll be much push-back from this esteemed group), but...

I will stand up and make a confession:

"My name is Mike, and I've never cooked ribs"...

I'd like to try cooking some pork ribs for me and my folks, but UK weather dictates I'll have to do that indoors unless I wait for the Summer (and even then, it's a crap-shoot). Do any of you good people have recommended recipes and/or ways of cooking ribs in the kitchen? I know I could just season them and stick them in the oven like I do with pork belly, and they'd probably be OK... but it'd be nice to do something a little more than that...
Some links....

BBQ Ribs on a Weber Grill, an Easy How-To Recipe

Competition-Style Ribs In Your Backyard | Grilling Inspiration | Weber Grills
04-03-2019, 06:58 PM - 2 Likes   #65265
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,651
Now, Bob won't like my method, but I make a very nice marinade from scratch. Ingredients include herbs and spices, some ketchup, a bottle of beer and a cup of red wine. Then, I pre-cook the ribs in water with a bit of salt. I place the pre-cooked ribs in a marinating dish (plastic or ceramic) and pour over the marinade. I leave this concoction for 24 hours, in the refrigerator.

On the day of the bbq, I use the chimney starter to fire up the charcoal for the bbq. I place a drip tray and place the charcoal as an indirect fire. I have a rib rack attachment for the Weber, so I can stack the ribs upright in the rib rack so I can grille 6-8 rib racks at once, should I wish to. Once I have everything ready, I set the ribs in the rib rack on the grille and brush on some basting - which is the marinade from the bottom of the marinading dish. I repeat this until I run out of marinade and, by then, the ribs are done.

Enjoy!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bacon, bagpipes, beer, breakfast, canada, catch 22, cheese, drink, dslr, ford, general talk, gin, guns, igunaq, k-3, k-mount, k3, kids, lutefisk, lycra, marital relations, pentax k-3, possums, sandwich, scotch, shirley, snoring, spam, squirrels, toilet, tokyo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
why I will buy a K3 chicagojohn Pentax K-3 80 09-18-2016 08:42 AM
Suggestion Neutralize the 'why I won't buy a k-3' thread crewl1 Site Suggestions and Help 61 10-04-2014 05:08 PM
Why I Won't Be Buying A K5IIs Racer X 69 Pentax K-5 40 02-03-2014 08:12 PM
Why I don't buy Pentax lenses keyser Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 44 12-20-2012 01:58 AM
I feel so old: 8 things the facebook gen won't buy Nesster General Talk 27 04-22-2012 11:01 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:57 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top