Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2019, 08:33 AM - 2 Likes   #66001
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Looks like a great scenic route.

I've been on nearly every bit of it except the stretch form Winslow to Mexican Hat, and from Lethbridge to Chillawack.
There was a little jog we did just North of Mexican Hat (cut right through Valley of the Gods) that was just incredible...just a dirt road

04-23-2019, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #66002
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
Never had that problem.

Cheap, but humble!
04-23-2019, 11:51 AM - 5 Likes   #66003
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
It's a miracle my parents didn't divorce when I was 18
Good point. Mine have been together for 60 years now.

Or as mum puts it, "I guess it's too late now."
04-23-2019, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #66004
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Best not mess with the Easter Bunny.
Looks like he's ready for more

04-23-2019, 12:55 PM   #66005
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
According to my google maps that route is just south of United States. Were you in Mexico?
04-23-2019, 01:32 PM - 2 Likes   #66006
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
According to my google maps that route is just south of United States. Were you in Mexico?
I think there's something wrong with your Google Maps

This is what I see when I click on that link:
Attached Images

04-23-2019, 03:48 PM - 4 Likes   #66007
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So... my Dad and I visited the North East Land Sea and Air Museum today, as previously mentioned.

It was nice to spend a couple of hours with my Dad, looking around the place and chatting, so a worthwhile visit. Yet, I'll admit I was underwhelmed by the museum's exhibits. I know it's enthusiast run, and I certainly didn't expect anything like the National Air and Space Museum in DC that I visited some years ago (that was truly fantastic)... but the exhibits were mostly in quite bad disrepair, or fairly shoddily "restored". There were a few stand-out exhibits, but they were crammed in to the hangars amongst lots of other aircraft awaiting (I hope) further restoration. As a result, not a lot of photo opportunities... at least, none that worked for me. I did take a quick snapshot of this Lightning fighter / interceptor outside - always a favourite aircraft of mine, and probably the best condition aircraft in the collection:

In other news... An hour or two back I went into the garden to put some stuff in the recycling bin, and I could hear noises (I have very sensitive hearing - medically "too sensitive", I'm told ). Anyway, I could hear "chuffing" noises at the bottom of the garden. I went down there with a flashlight and found a couple of hedgehogs I've known for years that they frequent my garden, and I've seen them on various occasions, but this is the first time I saw two together... I did my best to take a couple of photos, but was only using a dim handheld flashlight so as not to spook them...

Such sweet creatures. This put a big smile on my face

EDIT: Having seen one of the hedgehogs a couple of nights back, I've been putting my cat's left-over food outside, just next to the fence where he or she squeezes under to shelter under next door's decking. A couple of hours after putting it down this evening, it was all gone. Now, it could be that one of the local cats or another animal has eaten it, but I suspect it's one or both of the hedgehogs. Well, that's what I'd like to think

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-23-2019 at 04:29 PM.
04-23-2019, 07:10 PM - 2 Likes   #66008
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've been off the air for a few days.
Have I missed anything?? (I'm too tired to look back at all your inane unimportant carrying-ons.)
I changed internet providers a couple of weeks ago - I was happy with my last one, but they decided to pull the pin on the service and arranged to transfer everyone to another company. I chose to select my own new provider; everything going honky-dory until a few days early last week when the service stopped. I was due to tale Mrs Rod to Melbourne for surgery the next day so I just hoped it was one of those occasional things that happen and it would be OK when I got home. WRONG. The auto transfer of service was apparently still in place and so my new provider lost me for a while until I messaged them last night and am now up and running again.

In the meantime;
1. Mrs Rod had a hysterectomy (laparoscopically) last Wednesday.
2. I drove her home on Sunday (2.5+ hours)
3. Sunday arvo my shortness of breath really kicked in and the doctor on call at our regular clinic arranged to meet me at the clinic and found no crackles in the lungs and upped the Ventolin doses.
4. Monday (Still an Easter public holiday) I was much worse and the doctor on call (different Doc) came to the house and sent me straight to the emergency dept at the hospital for x-ray and treatment. My daughter drove me up and stayed until they decided at to keep me over night. (Things could have been quicker and more successful if they had read the letter the doc emailed to them!!! The triage and treatment was all concerned with the cellulitis that I have in the left arm - and was successfully being treated !! - than with the state of my lungs)
5. Daughter has moved back into home to take care of both Rod & Mrs Rod.
6. Surgeon from Melbourne rang to say the pathology was all clear. (Mrs Rod had earlier had a cancerous ovary removed and the followup op was to make sure all was well.) The surgeon has been brilliant - has personally rung on a number of occasions prior to, and post op.

So. Why would I go back and read pages and pages of drivel when all that has been going on? ()

04-23-2019, 10:52 PM - 3 Likes   #66009
dbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Because.....Rod.....Because

What drivel.....eh ?

Hope all is getting well again

Dave
04-24-2019, 01:46 AM - 3 Likes   #66010
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I'm too tired to look back at all your inane unimportant carrying-ons.
last week when the service stopped
That, my friend, is what happens with an attitude like that towards The Threadô! Karma. Bad juju.

In the meantime;
3. Sunday arvo my shortness of breath really kicked in and the doctor on call at our regular clinic arranged to meet me at the clinic and found no crackles in the lungs and upped the Ventolin doses.
4. Monday (Still an Easter public holiday) I was much worse and the doctor on call (different Doc) came to the house and sent me straight to the emergency dept at the hospital for x-ray and treatment. My daughter drove me up and stayed until they decided at to keep me over night. (Things could have been quicker and more successful if they had read the letter the doc emailed to them!!! The triage and treatment was all concerned with the cellulitis that I have in the left arm - and was successfully being treated !! - than with the state of my lungs)
6. Surgeon from Melbourne rang to say the pathology was all clear. (Mrs Rod had earlier had a cancerous ovary removed and the followup op was to make sure all was well.) The surgeon has been brilliant - has personally rung on a number of occasions prior to, and post op.
Now, that is a bit much, even for talking The Threadô down. You guys take care and get well, ok? Sounds like you are in good daughterly hands. Say hello to your girls

So. Why would I go back and read pages and pages of drivel when all that has been going on?
Now, then, haven't we learnt anything?
04-24-2019, 04:36 AM   #66011
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think there's something wrong with your Google Maps

This is what I see when I click on that link:

And you see the route west was south of 'United States'.
04-24-2019, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #66012
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And you see the route west was south of 'United States'.
Lets see if my recollection of geography is still good.

From Texas the route travels West through New Mexico (the state, not the old Mexico, the country), then Arizona. Turning North it then passes through Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Wyoming (again), then Montana before crossing at Sweetgrass into Alberta.

Nope.

Don't see them traveling anywhere into Mexico.

Never even came close.

In fact, the closest they came to Mexico was at Holbrook, Arizona, about 350 miles North of Nogales, Arizona and the Mexico border.
04-24-2019, 04:50 AM   #66013
Pentaxian

I've been off the air for a few days.
Have I missed anything?? (I'm too tired to look back at all your inane unimportant carrying-ons.)
I changed internet providers a couple of weeks ago - I was happy with my last one, but they decided to pull the pin on the service and arranged to transfer everyone to another company. I chose to select my own new provider; everything going honky-dory until a few days early last week when the service stopped. I was due to tale Mrs Rod to Melbourne for surgery the next day so I just hoped it was one of those occasional things that happen and it would be OK when I got home. WRONG. The auto transfer of service was apparently still in place and so my new provider lost me for a while until I messaged them last night and am now up and running again.

In the meantime;

So. Why would I go back and read pages and pages of drivel when all that has been going on? ()

That is quite some list of things that happened. Hope the repairs are going well. I always found changing ISP was a really big pain - took several days of no service to get my house connected to the SAME telephone exchange, each time. Did not do it often.

Quite a saga about your corporeal repairs. Miserable on the days when one finally makes the decision it is necessary to visit an hospital.
04-24-2019, 04:52 AM   #66014
Pentaxian

Lets see if my recollection of geography is still good.

From Texas the route travels West through New Mexico (the state, not the old Mexico, the country), then Arizona. Turning North it then passes through Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Wyoming (again), then Montana before crossing at Sweetgrass into Alberta.

Nope.

Don't see them traveling anywhere into Mexico.

Never even came close.

In fact, the closest they came to Mexico was at Holbrook, Arizona, about 350 miles North of Nogales, Arizona and the Mexico border.

But neither of you see the obvious. The map has 'United States' written on it, and below there is a blue route line, which is, clearly, south of 'United States'.
04-24-2019, 04:58 AM   #66015
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But neither of you see the obvious. The map has 'United States' written on it, and below there is a blue route line, which is, clearly, south of 'United States'.
I see that the words United States are in the middle of the map of the Continental United States. Placing the text at or near the middle of a country is typical of cartography.

But the route, delineated by the blue line, is clearly located in the states I noted, and once more, the closest the route gets to Mexico is at Holbrook, 350 miles North of the border.