Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2019, 06:54 AM - 2 Likes   #66391
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
How can you get by without? It's very hard to write in German without using it. Or Swedish. Or Finnish. Or Estonian. Or Turkish. Or French. Or Hungarian. Or Azerbaijani. And more, I'm sure. Oh, yes, Russian. Only for the ë, but it's there.

ä ë ï ö ü ÿ

There you go. A lot of people need them.

A useful part of my keyboard, this:
With the Windows OS, most keyboards can be any localized language (even if the keycaps become incorrectly labeled). I instead keep a short list of <Alt>### key codes when I am writing family/friends who live in Germanic speaking locations.

05-05-2019, 12:01 PM - 5 Likes   #66392
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Duly noted...

Even at my relatively tender age, the most startling thing to me is how time accelerates. My Dad told me about this when I was a kid, and I ignored him. It seems like my childhood went on forever (heck, my six weeks Summer break from school went on forever). My 20s were something of a daze, if I'm honest - I wasn't fully conscious or sober for much of them - but, still, they lasted pretty well. I find it difficult to pin-point exactly, but some time in my 30s it seems like everything started to speed up. Now, if I take my eye off things, a month goes by. I've been back "home" for almost five years, and it feels like a few months ago.

I enjoy life, but I keep thinking that I need to make more of each day, or at least each week. Hmmm... Maybe steaks for dinner on Friday... that's a start
Careful or you'll turn into one of those annoying wise old men - of debatable wisdom

But yeah, the decades are accelerating faster than they should. I need to plan my 50th before I missed it
05-05-2019, 12:05 PM   #66393
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
With the Windows OS, most keyboards can be any localized language (even if the keycaps become incorrectly labeled). I instead keep a short list of <Alt>### key codes when I am writing family/friends who live in Germanic speaking locations.
Yep, the only difference between localised keyboards are the keycaps. I use US key definitions quite a bit at work since that's what the server consoles usually are configured with. But living in a Germanic speakng location I find using Alt sequences too time consuming
05-05-2019, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #66394
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

And now, let's go back on track.

05-05-2019, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #66395
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Careful or you'll turn into one of those annoying wise old men - of debatable wisdom
Oh, I've been annoying and wise for some time now. Well, I think I'm wise - and, given that wisdom, I have no reason to believe differently; so long as I ignore what everyone else thinks
05-05-2019, 12:50 PM - 3 Likes   #66396
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Birthday (T+1) lunch today at Downeys fish and chip restaurant in Seaham. I went off-piste this time... Instead of ordering my usual favourite of large battered haddock with chips ("fries" - let's not go there ), mushy peas, salad and tartar sauce, I chose eight large scampi (fresh, locally-caught langoustine tails) in breadcrumbs - with chips, mushy peas, salad and tartar sauce Plus, of course, a slice of white bread and butter (to make a "chip butty" ), and a pot of tea. Since my cousin drove us there and back, I was able to indulge in a large glass of Sauvignon Blanc, too.

The scampi were divine... sweet and juicy with awesome crunchy and savoury breadcrumb coating. Not quite as filling as my usual large haddock fillet, but that suited me just fine as I wasn't ravenous, and I was definitely full by the end of the meal. The chips were, as always, fantastic. Downeys cook 'em in beef dripping... nice

Sadly, my Dad didn't make it to lunch He was feeling a little off-colour today, and went back to bed late morning (he was still there when we got back ). He's feeling much better now, thankfully, and I'll treat him to a take-out meal later in the week

Although my Mum paid for lunch (thanks, Mum ), I took a peak at the bill... £38.50 for three of us, including our meals, bread and butter, teas and coffees, and my large glass of wine. So, £43 ($56.60 in colonial money ) including a tip for the lovely, friendly and efficient waitress. Considering the quality and quantity of food there, I'm always amazed at the prices. Awesome... just awesome.

No photos, I'm afraid - I left my phone at home by mistake
05-05-2019, 12:56 PM - 4 Likes   #66397
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, I've been annoying and wise for some time now.....
One out of two isn't bad.

05-05-2019, 01:06 PM - 2 Likes   #66398
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums

Girl Meets Bug - ep. 1 WaxWorm Tacos - YouTube
QuoteQuote:
The most humane way to kill them is to put them in the freezer.”
That’s right, freeze them to death.

Wonder how well that would go over if they did that with cattle before the slaughter?

As for eating bugs, that’s for the birds.
05-05-2019, 01:11 PM - 3 Likes   #66399
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

No photos, I'm afraid - I left my phone at home by mistake
Were you going to use it to call your camera?
05-05-2019, 01:13 PM - 2 Likes   #66400
Veteran Member

Waxworm tacos, yum! Not!
The only part of the video I enjoyed was when she leaned over.
05-05-2019, 01:15 PM - 3 Likes   #66401
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Were you going to use it to call your camera?
Mike's camera has a phone??
05-05-2019, 02:02 PM   #66402
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Question for you, Bob.
All joking aside; what do you think of the Big Green Egg grills? We have a dealer here and he's a long time acquaintance, so I can get a pretty good deal on whatever size I want.
05-05-2019, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #66403
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Mike's camera has a phone??
For all the use I make of my phone, it may as well be integrated into my camera as an optional function - hidden way down in the menus
05-05-2019, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #66404
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
The only part of the video I enjoyed was when she leaned over.
She could lean over in my kitchen anytime.

So long as she doesn't sneak any bugs into my food.
05-05-2019, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #66405
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
She could lean over in my kitchen anytime.

So long as she doesn't sneak any bugs into my food.
On balance, I could put up with the odd bug or two...
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »