Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2019, 03:54 PM - 3 Likes   #66511
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I may have asked this before, so apologies if I have.

Ever since we finished the house and moved in, a strange phenomenon has been taking place. Birds crash into the windows. Many only hit the glass hard enough to daze them, but some hit so hard it kills them.

I’ve searched online, and found other people who have the same experience, but no one who can explain why these birds are so determined to commit seppuku on my windows.

I don’t get it.
Simple solution, stop getting the glass so clean.

05-07-2019, 04:24 PM - 4 Likes   #66512
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Ever since we finished the house and moved in, a strange phenomenon has been taking place. Birds crash into the windows. Many only hit the glass hard enough to daze them, but some hit so hard it kills them.

I’ve searched online, and found other people who have the same experience, but no one who can explain why these birds are so determined to commit seppuku on my windows.

I don’t get it.
There was a similar phenomenon in the Boston area a few years ago.
Crows were getting hit on the highways. The unusual thing was that it was noticed that the overwhelming majority of them were hit by trucks and buses.
The authorities contacted a well known ornithologist to see if he could figure it out.
He said it was really simple. When crows are feeding on roadkill they post a lookout or two to warn of any danger, but crows can't say "TRUCK!, or BUS!", they can only say "CAH! CAH!"
05-07-2019, 05:29 PM - 3 Likes   #66513
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I don’t get it.
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It's generally one of two reasons, both, because the birds don't see the window, but sees reflections of the sky / clouds / themselves in the window. So, they fly at the window believing it to be clear sky or, because they see another bird just like them and then they may think that bird is attacking them and they fly toward it to attack too.

In short, it's all your fault - Your windows are too clean!
Having watched a couple of movies that contain this kind of avian behaviour, Racer, I'm faily certain the birds are seeking to avenge some previous attack on their kind or possibly the environment. Either that, or it's a particular manifestation of paranormal activity. Probably nothing to worry about...
05-07-2019, 07:17 PM   #66514
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Crows were getting hit on the highways. The unusual thing was that it was noticed that the overwhelming majority of them were hit by trucks and buses.
The authorities contacted a well known ornithologist to see if he could figure it out.
He said it was really simple. When crows are feeding on roadkill they post a lookout or two to warn of any danger, but crows can't say "TRUCK!, or BUS!", they can only say "CAH! CAH!"

05-07-2019, 11:55 PM - 2 Likes   #66515
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I don’t get it.
We have had Bohemian waxwings crashing into our windows when they eat fermented berries in the autumn. Or maybe the fermentation takes place during digestion, I'm not sure - the main point is that birds shouldn't FUI
05-08-2019, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #66516
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's generally one of two reasons, both, because the birds don't see the window, but sees reflections of the sky / clouds / themselves in the window. So, they fly at the window believing it to be clear sky or, because they see another bird just like them and then they may think that bird is attacking them and they fly toward it to attack too.

In short, it's all your fault - Your windows are too clean!

So now you are making it all his fault, just like his story of the CDL and collision fault determination process just above.
05-08-2019, 04:23 AM   #66517
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote

It makes quite a thud when a pheasant bounces off the front of the car.

Much better than if a motorcyclist does similar. Had one trying that yesterday on my way home. Overtaking while I was coming in the lane facing.

Maybe there is a reason such a high proportion of the motorcyclists here wear L plates on their machines.

05-08-2019, 04:40 AM   #66518
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Maybe there is a reason such a high proportion of the motorcyclists here wear L plates on their machines.

"L" plates?
05-08-2019, 04:55 AM   #66519
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

These are the things I considered as I pondered the dilemma of the stoopit birds as they lay dazed or dead on my porch.

Did they think it was possible to take a shortcut through the house?

Or maybe they see a reflection of the surrounding landscape and think they are flying into the distance.
05-08-2019, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #66520
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
It makes quite a thud when a pheasant bounces off the front of the car.
I collected many birds while driving big trucks.

I did hit a pheasant once, but there wasn't much left but feathers when I stopped.

Another time I hit a pigeon. It came up off the right shoulder of the freeway, flying in the opposite direction as I was driving. It hit the windscreen directly in front of where I sat. As it became apparent that it was going to hit my truck, I instinctively ducked.

When it hit the window there was a muffled "POOF!", and explosion of feathers, and then the bird rolled off to the left and bounced onto the roadway.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 05-08-2019 at 05:42 AM.
05-08-2019, 06:16 AM - 2 Likes   #66521
Veteran Member

A St Louis area native got the winning goal in double overtime of playoff game 7 last night.
The Blues have to win 2 more series to be Stanley Cup champs, a title they've never held.

05-08-2019, 07:14 AM - 4 Likes   #66522
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
A St Louis area native got the winning goal in double overtime of playoff game 7 last night.
The Blues have to win 2 more series to be Stanley Cup champs, a title they've never held.

GOTTA SEE IT: Patrick Maroon Bangs In Double-OT Game 7 Winner For Blues - YouTube
I've never understood the scores in figure skating

Even more confusing with this Stanley Cup thing. That's golf, isn't it? But then I see that they carry golf sticks while skating, so I guess it sort of makes sense.

Disney on Ice meets golf.
05-08-2019, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #66523
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
That's golf, isn't it?
Sorry, I should have explained to our northern dwelling members, it's ice hockey.
noun
a fast contact sport played on an ice rink between two teams of six skaters, who attempt to drive a small rubber disk (the puck) into the opposing goal with hooked or angled sticks.
05-08-2019, 07:24 AM - 2 Likes   #66524
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I've never understood the scores in figure skating

Even more confusing with this Stanley Cup thing. That's golf, isn't it? But then I see that they carry golf sticks while skating, so I guess it sort of makes sense.

Disney on Ice meets golf.
It's amazing you folks made it to even 8th place at the winter Olympics :-D
Attached Images

05-08-2019, 07:26 AM   #66525
Veteran Member

The Blues victory song this year is Gloria, by Laura Branigan.
Here's the earworm so many of us here have this morning: