05-18-2019, 09:03 AM - 4 Likes   #66827
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

05-18-2019, 10:10 AM - 2 Likes   #66828
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
But...but... everyone has seen the series. I've read it on the Internet so it must be true.
All I know about it is that I'm really, really tired of reading the various "news" feeds and having a third of the stories be about Game of Thrones (whatever that is).
05-18-2019, 10:16 AM - 2 Likes   #66829
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
All I know about it is that I'm really, really tired of reading the various "news" feeds and having a third of the stories be about Game of Thrones (whatever that is).
The show is based on the premise that anyone who's a decent human being should die, to be killed by psychopaths and perverts. Once I got onto the premise of the show it got real old real quick. I think I made it through a season, but by that time there wasn't anyone left on the show I actually liked.

The other premise seemed to be that any demented mentally challenged person could survive just by being meaner and nastier than everyone else. A narrative that runs counter to all known facts. Research shows psychopaths are cowards, not winners, that they will back down from any threat and abandon their mates doing ti. There's this idea going around that society needs psychopaths. We must, because they have never been weeded out of the genome, but that doesn't mean we should celebrate them.

Last edited by normhead; 05-18-2019 at 10:28 AM.
05-18-2019, 12:30 PM - 4 Likes   #66830
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like California.
05-18-2019, 02:54 PM - 5 Likes   #66831
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Been a while... I'm catching up on the thread, especially the cat talk...

But I had to report on recent, important events....

I have just discovered the wonder that is Batchelors Pasta N Sauce... The closest American / Canadian equivalent I can think of is Kraft Dinner, which I know some of you good folks swear by (... or at). Pasta N Sauce is what we have (or, at least, one of the options) in the UK.

I'm taking a short in-country vacation in a few weeks' time, where I've rented a lodge in the forest, by a huge man-made reservoir, for four nights. So I was thinking about tinned and dried food cupboard items I could take with me for quick and easy meals. In fifty years, I don't believe I've ever eaten pasta and cheese / sauce that came in a ready-to-mix-and-cook packet, but - having seen some posts here about "KD" - I thought I'd try these. You just add the contents to water (and perhaps a little milk - long-life is fine), and boil them for a few minutes (it says five, I find seven or eight better) and they're done.

I'm fussy about the quality of my food, so I can't quite believe I'm saying this, but these Pasta N Sauce packets are really, really nice, just on their own. Add a bit of extra seasoning - pepper, chilli flakes, whatever - and they're even better. I don't want to look at the ingredients... aside from the pasta, I assume it would put me right off. But the flavour is sooooo good. For dinner this evening, I had the mac 'n' cheese, and added some chopped up left-over sausage from lunch, and a little fresh ground black pepper... Sublime.

Does this make me a bad person?

My local supermarket has them discounted at present, and you can buy up to twenty at a time at the discount price. I started with three packets. I now have forty in my cupboard They're good 'til 2021, but somehow I don't think that's going to be a problem

I now want to see if I can get hold of some genuine "KD" to try. There must be an importer somewhere in the UK...

[Full disclosure - I was not compensated in any way for this review]

[Yet]

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-18-2019 at 03:34 PM.
05-18-2019, 03:08 PM - 2 Likes   #66832
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I was thinking about tinned and dried food cupboard items
You need a case of SPAM, and that's all you really need.

05-18-2019, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #66833
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
You need a case of SPAM, and that's all you really need.
I always have SPAM in my cupboard, Bob... I like it sliced thin and fried in a little butter and Worcestershire (that's "Wustersheer" sauce for you good folks in the colonies). with a fried egg and mushrooms. Bacon it ain't, but it's goooood....
05-18-2019, 03:21 PM - 3 Likes   #66834
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

woo'-stur-sher
05-18-2019, 03:30 PM - 3 Likes   #66835
Pentaxian

woo'-stur-sher
I once said Worse chester shire to the delight of my kids grand parents, and Glou chester, instead of Gloster. I think Brits just like laughing at people.
05-18-2019, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #66836
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

woo'-stur-sher
There ya go... My man! None of this "wor-sooster-shy-er" nonsense...
05-18-2019, 03:36 PM - 2 Likes   #66837
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I think Brits just like laughing at people.
Ah, we're a tiny country, Norm. When some laughs at you about your size, you have to resort to bluster. It's served me well, is all I'm sayin'
05-18-2019, 03:36 PM - 2 Likes   #66838
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
There ya go... My man! None of this "wor-sooster-shy-er" nonsense...
It's OK, we laugh when y'all say Toronto. It's Trana fools.
05-18-2019, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #66839
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's OK, we laugh when y'all say Toronto. It's Trana fools.
I remember, years back, as a kid, my Dad gave a ride to a hitch-hiker... He was a US Army guy stationed over here, and on his way up to Scotland (if I recall the story correctly, it was to see a friend or girlfriend). He wanted to get to Musselburgh, which we'd pronounce "Muh-sel-bruh". My Dad was tickled by his pronunciation of "Moose-el-berg"

Our languages are so similar, and yet so different. But, then, even different regions here in the UK (just as in Canada and the US, and - I'd guess - every country in the world) have their own pronunciations and terms... It's one of the things about language that I really love
05-18-2019, 05:12 PM - 6 Likes   #66840
Veteran Member

Can't help but share a little grandparent pride.
Our granddaughter graduated from college today, and grandson graduates from high school tomorrow.
So proud of both of them.