Too bad...great guy
Some temptation for him.

05-22-2019, 01:25 PM - 4 Likes   #67007
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Hard to watch, hard not to watch.
Skip to about 9 minutes in if you get bored watching the chase.
This happened yesterday.

Watch Live: (KABC) CHP in pursuit of stolen RV chase through San Fernando Valley - YouTube
Someone was off her meds.
05-22-2019, 02:50 PM - 2 Likes   #67008
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Some temptation for him.
Although a very different instrument to pipes, I personally consider the accordion worthy of the same "threat level". Some years back, a good friend of mine and his wife (who was a folk music fan) used to attend various gigs. Allegedly, he would frequently fall asleep during the longer numbers, but was somehow pre-conditioned to wake up at the obligatory accordion "TAH-DAAAAAAAH!" at the end of each song
05-22-2019, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #67009
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I told myself I'd never touch another raw oyster.
My total consumption of raw oysters is one, just to see what the attraction is all about.
My opinion was, salty, fishy tasting, snot ball.
All of this puking talk, after eating bad shellfish, reinforces my resolve to never try them again.
Battered and fried clam strips is a whole 'nother story.

05-22-2019, 04:47 PM - 3 Likes   #67010
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My total consumption of raw oysters is one, just to see what the attraction is all about.
All of this puking talk, after eating bad shellfish, reinforces my resolve to never try them again.
Were it not for the esteem in which I hold you, Bob, I should be horrified by such words... and yet, I must allow for and respect your personal culinary tastes (which otherwise seem to be unquestionable)

The first time I tried a raw oyster, I'll admit I was unconvinced... just like the first time I tried a well-prepared steak tartare, caviar, truffles, bone marrow, a dirty vodka martini, and other items of "acquired taste". They all necessitated a second or even third attempt before I warmed to them, but warm to them I did.

In my last six months or so of working in London, one of my antidotes to the daily Hell of banking was - one to three times a week, as my schedule allowed - repairing to a local hostelry for a brief lunch of half a dozen rock oysters and a pint of cloudy cider or glass of chilled Sauvignon Blanc. 45 minutes to call my own, enjoy an indulgent treat, and ruminate on the rest of the day's tortures...
05-22-2019, 04:56 PM - 3 Likes   #67011
Loyal Site Supporter

Long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I worked in San Francisco. I used to go to Fisherman's Wharf regularly and get fresh caught clams and oysters from the street vendors. I'd just pry them open and eat them as I wandered around the docks.
I never suffered any ill effects but, in retrospect, it was a really stupid thing to do.
05-22-2019, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #67012
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I worked in San Francisco. I used to go to Fisherman's Wharf regularly and get fresh caught clams and oysters from the street vendors. I'd just pry them open and eat them as I wandered around the docks.
I never suffered any ill effects but, in retrospect, it was a really stupid thing to do.
Since I came back up to the North East, each year (not last year, though, nor this year just yet) I've been visiting Piel Island, a tiny place just off the West coast. The landlord of the pub their told me that they have a plentiful natural supply of mussels, and used to serve them to visitors, but were stopped from doing so by the authorities. Apparently, all mussels sold here in the UK have to undergo treatment before sale, for preventative health measures. I can't recall the specifics, but that's what I'd heard.

Though I have no hard evidence and I'm just guessing, I'd bet 99% of naturally caught seafood should be absolutely fine for consumption, so long as it's immediately consumed, or properly stored / handled / cooked as required. But the remaining 1% is enough to be considered problematic, and in today's regulation-obsessed society, that's not acceptable.

If I was stranded on a desert island and came across clams, oysters and mussels whilst fishing, I'd be thanking my lucky stars and stuffing my big, fat face with them
05-22-2019, 05:14 PM - 2 Likes   #67013
Pentaxian

The first time I tried a raw oyster, I'll admit I was unconvinced... just like the first time I tried a well-prepared steak tartare, caviar, truffles, bone marrow, a dirty vodka martini, and other items of "acquired taste". They all necessitated a second or even third attempt before I warmed to them, but warm to them I did.
I get that.
My question is why? Why try to acquire a taste for something you didn't like in the first place?
I'm pretty simple, I eat what I like, but willing to try new stuff, if I don't like it, then I'm fine with that too.

05-22-2019, 05:19 PM - 2 Likes   #67014
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I agree, living/working in San Fran is pretty stupid.
05-22-2019, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #67015
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I get that.
My question is why? Why try to acquire a taste for something you didn't like in the first place?
I'm pretty simple, I eat what I like, but willing to try new stuff, if I don't like it, then I'm fine with that too.
That's fair, Bob... and I don't necessarily disagree. My home region is very picky and traditional about food-stuffs. Folks around here tend to stick with what they know. But, for me, I relate it back to my childhood experiences. As a kid - at least initially - I didn't like broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, turnip, parsnips... kippers, smoked haddock, rabbit, chicken livers, pig's kidneys, the edge of fat off a lamb chop, etc. etc. But as time went on, I came to enjoy them - some of them, a great deal. Later in life, there were things I didn't like the idea of but I knew lots of folks enjoyed. So I figured there must be something in that. I started trying (almost) anything and everything, completely open-minded about it all... and I was surprised by how many things I liked on the first try. The things I absolutely hated, I never tried again. Everything else, I gave another chance... and, if the second time was slightly better, and more intriguing... I tried them again. Some of those things have become firm favourites. Others might not be, but I'm happy eating them if that's what's on offer.

I'm not saying everyone should be so inclined....

But raw rock oysters, well... they rock
05-22-2019, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #67016
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

You would like razor clams.

They are big enough that two or three make a nice meal, with some fries and macaroni salad or some such.

And a beer.
05-22-2019, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #67017
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Apparently, all mussels sold here in the UK have to undergo treatment before sale, for preventative health measures. I can't recall the specifics, but that's what I'd heard.

Though I have no hard evidence and I'm just guessing, I'd bet 99% of naturally caught seafood should be absolutely fine for consumption, so long as it's immediately consumed, or properly stored / handled / cooked as required. But the remaining 1% is enough to be considered problematic, and in today's regulation-obsessed society, that's not acceptable.
We get times when they close the shellfish harvest here. They call it red tide, after some dinoflagellates and protozoan ne'er do wells have a big party with a bunch of their cousins and the result is an algal bloom that is toxic to humans.

No clamming, no crabbing, no harvesting oysters at low tide.

Worse that a visit from Aunt Flo.
05-22-2019, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #67018
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like the US Post Office is branching out and delivering babies now.

Does Jeff Bezos know about this?
05-22-2019, 06:45 PM - 2 Likes   #67019
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Hard to watch, hard not to watch.
Skip to about 9 minutes in if you get bored watching the chase.
This happened yesterday.

Watch Live: (KABC) CHP in pursuit of stolen RV chase through San Fernando Valley - YouTube
So what was up with that woman?

Her Aunt Flo come to visit?
05-22-2019, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #67020
Pentaxian

That's fair, Bob... and I don't necessarily disagree. My home region is very picky and traditional about food-stuffs. Folks around here tend to stick with what they know. But, for me, I relate it back to my childhood experiences. As a kid - at least initially - I didn't like broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, turnip, parsnips... kippers, smoked haddock, rabbit, chicken livers, pig's kidneys, the edge of fat off a lamb chop, etc. etc. But as time went on, I came to enjoy them - some of them, a great deal. Later in life, there were things I didn't like the idea of but I knew lots of folks enjoyed. So I figured there must be something in that. I started trying (almost) anything and everything, completely open-minded about it all... and I was surprised by how many things I liked on the first try. The things I absolutely hated, I never tried again. Everything else, I gave another chance... and, if the second time was slightly better, and more intriguing... I tried them again. Some of those things have become firm favourites. Others might not be, but I'm happy eating them if that's what's on offer.

I'm not saying everyone should be so inclined....

But raw rock oysters, well... they rock
Thanks Mike, that explains your reasoning very well.
My daughter is very adventurous when it comes to trying different foods, I tease her about it, but glad she's not like me.