Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2019, 07:03 PM - 2 Likes   #67021
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
You guys need to try ama ebi.

Start with two large scampi. De-vein, separate the heads from the tails. Dip the heads in panko breading and deep fry. Prepare the tails raw on rice with a smear of wasabi between the rice and prawn tail. Sprinkle with lime juice and ponzu, garnish with thinly sliced scallions and tobiko, and place a lime or lemon slice between the two. Serve with the freshly fried heads.

Have hot sake or nigori sake on the side.

Enjoy.

Go ahead, you can hack it. The heads taste like french fries. Crunchy.

The tails are awesome, a light, delicate prawn flavor, enhanced by the wasabi, scallions, tobiko, lime, ponzu and lemon.

And the sake pairs very well with it.

05-23-2019, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #67022
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Shellfish... Nature's cruel little joke; so delicious, but Heaven help you if you eat a bad 'un

On two occasions they got me badly...

1) Fried clam strips for lunch in Newport RI. I started feeling "off" just a few hours later. By the time we reached Cape Cod, around 9 or 10pm, I was already properly ill - cramps, fever, dizziness etc. and violently expelled everything in my gut and bowels. By midnight, or thereabouts, I was dry-retching and delirious. It took me a a day and a half to be semi-normal again, and I didn't feel so hot for a couple of days after that.

2) A large portion of raw rock oysters (something I really love), which I ate at a management Christmas lunch with the brokerage firm I worked for. Exact same symptoms as with the clam strips, but worsened by an over-indulgence in Champagne. Thankfully, the lunch was on a Friday, and I had the weekend to recover - which I fully needed, and how. After that, I told myself I'd never touch another raw oyster. By Christmas the following year, I'd broken my promise...
Was that at the next management Christmas show run by the same managers?

Look at it this way, they probably got a good deal on a 40 foot box of raw oysters.

I never liked oysters much but I do like other shellfish. Fortunately I have not had a problem. Taiwan is a good place to eat them. Everyone likes them and they are so knowledgable about how to recognise good and fresh that restaurants would not get away with selling dodgy. They usually ship fish and sell in the market still alive, even if a bit comatose because it has been in a crowded and chilly foam box from boat to market. Saves the customer from one cause of illness. The other is polluted waters.
05-23-2019, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #67023
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Were it not for the esteem in which I hold you, Bob, I should be horrified by such words... and yet, I must allow for and respect your personal culinary tastes (which otherwise seem to be unquestionable)

The first time I tried a raw oyster, I'll admit I was unconvinced... just like the first time I tried a well-prepared steak tartare, caviar, truffles, bone marrow, a dirty vodka martini, and other items of "acquired taste". They all necessitated a second or even third attempt before I warmed to them, but warm to them I did.

In my last six months or so of working in London, one of my antidotes to the daily Hell of banking was - one to three times a week, as my schedule allowed - repairing to a local hostelry for a brief lunch of half a dozen rock oysters and a pint of cloudy cider or glass of chilled Sauvignon Blanc. 45 minutes to call my own, enjoy an indulgent treat, and ruminate on the rest of the day's tortures...
FT100 down today.
05-23-2019, 04:52 AM - 2 Likes   #67024
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
You guys need to try ama ebi.

Start with two large scampi. De-vein, separate the heads from the tails. Dip the heads in panko breading and deep fry. Prepare the tails raw on rice with a smear of wasabi between the rice and prawn tail. Sprinkle with lime juice and ponzu, garnish with thinly sliced scallions and tobiko, and place a lime or lemon slice between the two. Serve with the freshly fried heads.

Have hot sake or nigori sake on the side.

Enjoy.

Go ahead, you can hack it. The heads taste like french fries. Crunchy.

The tails are awesome, a light, delicate prawn flavor, enhanced by the wasabi, scallions, tobiko, lime, ponzu and lemon.

And the sake pairs very well with it.
You picture reminded me of the time in Tainan when I had raw prawn as part of the sashimi selection. Prefer the fish with fins and scales prepared in sashimi.

05-23-2019, 05:24 AM   #67025
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
You picture reminded me of the time in Tainan when I had raw prawn as part of the sashimi selection. Prefer the fish with fins and scales prepared in sashimi.
Me too.

But without the fins and scales.

They are not palatable, too hard to chew, and don't digest well.
05-23-2019, 05:44 AM   #67026
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well we just got back from a road trip to Yellowstone a few day ago. The most exotic I got was a bag of Jack Links beef jerky. Had a very good filet mignon for dinner one night. It was supposed to be 8 ounces, but they must have been using Texas ounces. Culver's burgers are pretty good too. Much better than the average chain burger. Great onion rings there too.

I do not like the smell or the taste of most seafood. I never eat anything shelled and I have a strange reaction to the taste of shrimp. It has the same effect on me (for those of us old enough to remember such things) as fingernails being dragged across a blackboard.
05-23-2019, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #67027
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I have a strange reaction to the taste of shrimp. It has the same effect on me (for those of us old enough to remember such things) as fingernails being dragged across a blackboard.
Peel 'em next time.

05-23-2019, 07:55 AM - 2 Likes   #67028
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I worked in San Francisco. I used to go to Fisherman's Wharf regularly and get fresh caught clams and oysters from the street vendors. I'd just pry them open and eat them as I wandered around the docks.
I never suffered any ill effects but, in retrospect, it was a really stupid thing to do.
Did you wear a flower in your hair?

05-23-2019, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #67029
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I worked in San Francisco. I used to go to Fisherman's Wharf regularly and get fresh caught clams and oysters from the street vendors. I'd just pry them open and eat them as I wandered around the docks.
I never suffered any ill effects but, in retrospect, it was a really stupid thing to do.
Why stupid? At least they would be fresher than anything you can buy in the store. And as long as they don't smell bad, they'd be good to eat!
05-23-2019, 10:39 AM - 2 Likes   #67030
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
And as long as they don't smell bad, they'd be good to eat!
With the smog and wildfire smoke out there I'm not sure if you can trust your nose to sniff out a bad sea booger..
05-23-2019, 11:06 AM - 2 Likes   #67031
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I do not like the smell or the taste of most seafood. I never eat anything shelled and I have a strange reaction to the taste of shrimp. It has the same effect on me (for those of us old enough to remember such things) as fingernails being dragged across a blackboard.
We must be related. Ok, maybe I'm not quite with you on the fingernails-on-blackboard thing, but I've always thought shrimps taste like, I don't know, swampy brackish water. Sure I can eat them if I feel I have to be polite to the hosts (which doesn't happen often...), but I really don't enjoy the taste. Nor smell.

Lately I have wondered if it might be a specific anosmia thing. I mean, some people are wild about shrimps. Or avocado - which I don't really think taste much of anything at all. And some think their pee doesn't smell of sulfur after having eaten asparagus, but trust me: it does! But about a third os us can't sense that smell. My wife's one of them, and I very much am not!

I also can't remember anosmia having been discussed in The Threa™ before. Or was that amnesia? Can't remember...
05-23-2019, 01:03 PM   #67032
Veteran Member

My late mother in law developed anosmia, so food didn't have much taste to her.
She also had total hearing loss in one ear, like me, but hers was left, mine is right, so at the dining table I always sat to her right.
05-23-2019, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #67033
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
My late mother in law developed anosmia, so food didn't have much taste to her.
She also had total hearing loss in one ear, like me, but hers was left, mine is right, so at the dining table I always sat to her right.
Eh? What did you say Bob?
05-23-2019, 02:33 PM   #67034
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
We must be related. Ok, maybe I'm not quite with you on the fingernails-on-blackboard thing, but I've always thought shrimps taste like, I don't know, swampy brackish water. Sure I can eat them if I feel I have to be polite to the hosts (which doesn't happen often...), but I really don't enjoy the taste. Nor smell.

Lately I have wondered if it might be a specific anosmia thing. I mean, some people are wild about shrimps. Or avocado - which I don't really think taste much of anything at all. And some think their pee doesn't smell of sulfur after having eaten asparagus, but trust me: it does! But about a third os us can't sense that smell. My wife's one of them, and I very much am not!

I also can't remember anosmia having been discussed in The Threa™ before. Or was that amnesia? Can't remember...
I am the opposite...a shrimp plate is like a magnet to me....love the little buggers...and avocado! YUM!
05-23-2019, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #67035
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
I am the opposite...a shrimp plate is like a magnet to me....love the little buggers...and avocado! YUM!
There are 13 genetically determined taste sensor that we may or may not have. everyone has some combination o those 13, all or none, or something in between. The makes for a lot of possible combinations.