Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
05-26-2019, 06:01 PM - 3 Likes   #67186
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We’ll see what Son#2 (my daughter’s husband) comes up with. I’ll either like it or smile and eat it.
The sweet potatoes were for the tacos ground turkey was the meat Son #2 fancies himself a chef and a mixologist. I kid you not there is a load of cooking and bar utensils and a second load of dishes and flatware. It took me more than an hour to clean up, which is my job because, “Dad, since we cooked are you going to clean?” When they came in the kitchen after relaxing and digesting while I cleaned (the actual moment I finished wiping down the counter) they each deposited a sticky Margarita glass on the island and walked out.

Kids these days.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-26-2019 at 09:12 PM.
05-26-2019, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #67187
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Does it get warm in the Nomex suit?
Well, there is the Nomex™ underwear. Like thermal long johns, only made from Nomex™. And socks and the balaclava made from Nomex™.

Then the suit is usually three layers of Nomex™, some sanctioning bodies require more, like 5 or 6 layers. It is like wearing a suit made from a moving blanket.

Then consider the race car is quite spartan. In recent years much has been done to deflect the heat away from the driver, and provide some insulation from it. But still, there isn't much to reduce it. And 800 horsepower race engines generate a considerable amount of heat.

The brakes also generate a lot of heat.

The tires also make heat as they scrub around the track at speed.

Like sitting in an oven.

The track gets hot in the heat of the day, and radiates heat up into the cars too.

So yeah, it gets warm in a Nomex™ suit.
05-26-2019, 06:10 PM - 4 Likes   #67188
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The sweet potatoes were for the tacos
What fresh Hell is this?
05-26-2019, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #67189
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Well, there is the Nomex™ underwear. Like thermal long johns, only made from Nomex™. And socks and the balaclava made from Nomex™.

Then the suit is usually three layers of Nomex™, some sanctioning bodies require more, like 5 or 6 layers. It is like wearing a suit made from a moving blanket.

Then consider the race car is quite spartan. In recent years much has been done to deflect the heat away from the driver, and provide some insulation from it. But still, there isn't much to reduce it. And 800 horsepower race engines generate a considerable amount of heat.

The brakes also generate a lot of heat.

The tires also make heat as they scrub around the track at speed.

Like sitting in an oven.

The track gets hot in the heat of the day, and radiates heat up into the cars too.

So yeah, it gets warm in a Nomex™ suit.
Sounds like you have lightly simmered race car driver by the end of the race!

05-26-2019, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #67190
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In other news:

Air New Zealand spends billions buying new fleet of Boeing Dreamliner long-haul jets | Stuff.co.nz
05-26-2019, 07:20 PM   #67191
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

That's pretty cool Mark. They already have quite a few earlier 787's, and I think some 777's too.
05-26-2019, 08:04 PM - 1 Like   #67192
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's pretty cool Mark. They already have quite a few earlier 787's, and I think some 777's too.
Yes, they say these 787s will replace the 777s. Which will mean they'll be flying mainly 787s along with the Airbus A320/A321 for domestic routes.
They want to do a direct Auckland - LA route with the new 787 airplanes.

05-26-2019, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #67193
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Martin Truex Jr. has covered the 600 miles in less time than his competitors and won the Coca Cola 600, driving for Coach Joe Gibbs.

Way to go Martin!

Like all drivers at Charlotte today, Martin carried remembrance for one of the fallen.

Chief Petty Officer Nicholas H. Null
Military branch: United States Navy
Date of birth: 3-30-1981
Date of death: 8-6-2011 (Afghanistan)
Null enlisted in the Navy in 2000 and served as a chief explosive ordnance disposal technician. He was a highly decorated combat veteran with numerous awards including (2) Bronze Star Medal with Valor and Exceptional Heroism, Joint Service Commendation Medal with Valor, Purple Heart Medal, (2) Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medals with Valor and (2) 2 Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 05-26-2019 at 08:34 PM.
05-27-2019, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #67194
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good Tea Time All

Well....
All this food talk I'm getting hungry
And then theres the pictures of food.
Whats a guy got to do............
Seeya its cooking time....
Bye for now

Dave
05-27-2019, 01:15 AM   #67195
Pentaxian

I wouldn't say that STD's are popular.

I know I don't want any.
‘Popular usage ‘ refers to the use of the words, not that which is signified.
05-27-2019, 01:31 AM - 2 Likes   #67196
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
In a twist on the traditional English "Sunday roast" lunch, the pub just up the road from my apartment in London used to serve slow-cooked pork belly with pickled red cabbage, Yorkshire puddings, chantenay carrots, fresh garden peas, caramelised onions and buttery, well-seasoned, mashed sweet potato, along with a thick pork gravy. It was sublime... In the couple of years I lived there, I must have had that same meal fifty times - once every couple of weeks or so...
So, as a City type he had to eat the pork bellies he got from Chicago and did not sell while they were still future.
05-27-2019, 01:39 AM - 1 Like   #67197
Pentaxian

It was. I love spinach. It was meant to be the lamb, but the server's mistake did not bother me. The chicken was lovely.
I ordered it "medium" but I should have asked for "Indian medium" as "Kiwi medium" is really very mild.
Always hard to know what the hotness ratings really mean.
05-27-2019, 02:16 AM - 2 Likes   #67198
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
So, as a City type he had to eat the pork bellies he got from Chicago and did not sell while they were still future.
Thankfully, I was never trading or broking... I looked after technology and some operational areas (I've done some FX and stocks trading on my own account over the years, but was never employed professionally to do that). But I have plenty of experience eating pork bellies
05-27-2019, 02:20 AM - 2 Likes   #67199
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It was. I love spinach. It was meant to be the lamb, but the server's mistake did not bother me. The chicken was lovely.
I ordered it "medium" but I should have asked for "Indian medium" as "Kiwi medium" is really very mild.
Although I generally prefer very spicy curries, often with chillies, where spinach is concerned I actually prefer milder dishes... buttery, juicy and just lightly spiced. Much stronger and my taste buds don't get quite enough of that lovely spinach flavour...
05-27-2019, 02:55 AM - 5 Likes   #67200
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Although I generally prefer very spicy curries, often with chillies, where spinach is concerned I actually prefer milder dishes... buttery, juicy and just lightly spiced. Much stronger and my taste buds don't get quite enough of that lovely spinach flavour...
I feel slightly cheated if a curry does not have a bit of a bite going in. It's the bit of a bite going out that I don't care for!