Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
05-27-2019, 12:12 PM - 2 Likes   #67216
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That looks amazing, Bob. Is the beautiful colouring around the edge of each slice due to smoking or marinade? I assume the latter...
Thanks Mike!
It's called a smoke ring. Some will try to tell you it's a sign of good bbq, when it fact it adds no taste.
I didn't use a marinade, only a dry spice rub.
"The smoke ring is already within the meat in the form of myoglobin. It’s the protein that makes raw meat red or pink. As the meat cooks, myoglobin turns brown, but if enough nitric oxide (NO) from the wood smoke condenses on your meat, it will bind with the still-red myoglobin and allow it to hold onto its color. So the smoke ring is really a remnant. It’s a biological marker of how quickly the meat cooked, and how much NO was able to stick to the meat before it turned brown throughout."
The Science of the Smoke Ring ? Texas Monthly

05-27-2019, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #67217
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Today I walked by the Royal Artillery memorial next to the Australian forces memorial and near Wellington Arch, and saw the Royal Artillery lost 46072 between 1914-1918. And they were in action again just over 20 years later.
Ah, yes.
WWI, AKA "The war to end all wars".
05-27-2019, 01:08 PM - 3 Likes   #67218
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Taken today in Durham at a small classic motorcycle show held in the market square... this beautifully-restored 1927 AJS 350cc Side Valve - next to the Durham Light Infantry memorial...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XF1  Photo 

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-27-2019 at 01:39 PM.
05-27-2019, 01:46 PM - 2 Likes   #67219
Veteran Member

Taken today in Durham
XF1 picture taker, eh?
I got one for $180 with an Amazon lightning deal back in 2013.
Liked it a lot, but sold it to thin the herd a couple of years later.
Rupert, as I'm sure you knew, loved his little Fujifilm cameras.
Mine was brown, or fried BACON color.

05-27-2019, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #67220
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
XF1 picture taker, eh?
I got one for $180 with an Amazon lightning deal back in 2013.
Liked it a lot, but sold it to thin the herd a couple of years later.
Rupert, as I'm sure you knew, loved his little Fujifilm cameras.
Mine was brown, or fried BACON color.
Yeah, I remember Jim loved his Fujis

I bought my XF1 in late 2014 or early 2015. Our local electronics "mega store" had it on special at GBP £109 which, at the time, would have been around USD $170 (much less now, with the horrendous GBPUSD exchange rate ). Anyway, it was cheaper than most compacts in the store because of the discounted deal. I was only browsing at the time and didn't buy it immediately, but when I got home I looked up some of the reviews and went back the following day to buy one.

In hindsight, I wish I'd picked up a couple of them... I'm not a Fuji guy (I don't dislike them, just never really been tempted), but the little XF1 has served me extremely well. It's been the only camera with me on several vacations, and has lived in the glove box of my car so I have something with me "just in case". The "fried bacon" model looks a bit more attractive - mine's just the simple black and silver But four-and-a-half years on, with frequent use, it still looks and works as good as new. And the battery is interchangeable with the Pentax Q series
05-27-2019, 02:09 PM - 3 Likes   #67221
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
I think we've discussed this before....happy wife happy life...and I don't mind going the extra length for my lady.
I’ve never had to be concerned about extra length. Always had plenty, and never even a whimper of a complaint.
05-27-2019, 02:15 PM - 3 Likes   #67222
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Mike!
It's called a smoke ring. Some will try to tell you it's a sign of good bbq, when it fact it adds no taste.
"The smoke ring is already within the meat in the form of myoglobin. It’s the protein that makes raw meat red or pink. As the meat cooks, myoglobin turns brown, but if enough nitric oxide (NO) from the wood smoke condenses on your meat, it will bind with the still-red myoglobin and allow it to hold onto its color. So the smoke ring is really a remnant. It’s a biological marker of how quickly the meat cooked, and how much NO was able to stick to the meat before it turned brown throughout."
Probably wouldn’t get that tasty looking smoke ring if you boiled that brisket first, eh?

05-27-2019, 02:15 PM - 3 Likes   #67223
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I’ve never had to be concerned about extra length. Always had plenty, and never even a whimper of a complaint.
I've had to rely on the "it's what you do with it that counts" argument, I'm afraid

If you're not hearing any whimpers, though, Racer... maybe time to work on that technique a little
05-27-2019, 02:22 PM - 2 Likes   #67224
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Mike!
Thanks for the explanation and link, Bob - most interesting

You good folks in the US - well, many of you - have taken BBQ way beyond what's typical here in the UK, even now...

When I was a kid, a "beef joint" was cooked slowly until it was dark brown on the outside and a lighter brown all the way through, with nothing more than salt and pepper for seasoning. On the rare occasions we had steak at home, it was cooked until it looked - and responded to cutting - like a piece of coal... and that's still how my Dad prefers it I was 18 before I had a medium rare steak, and that was after I'd left home and gone to live and work in London Around that same time, I learned that steak wasn't just steak - that there were different cuts, cooking levels and methods appropriate to each, etc.
05-27-2019, 02:45 PM - 4 Likes   #67225
Veteran Member

First liar never stands a chance.
05-27-2019, 05:33 PM - 2 Likes   #67226
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had to rely on the "it's what you do with it that counts" argument, I'm afraid

If you're not hearing any whimpers, though, Racer... maybe time to work on that technique a little
First liar never stands a chance.
A woman once told me that men come in small, medium, and OMG!.

She said I was a medium.

I already knew that.
05-27-2019, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #67227
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Taken today in Durham at a small classic motorcycle show held in the market square... this beautifully-restored 1927 AJS 350cc Side Valve - next to the Durham Light Infantry memorial...
Can you imagine zipping about the countryside on one of those? Especially in the spring, all the sweet spring smells.
05-27-2019, 05:36 PM - 2 Likes   #67228
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

A woman once told me that men come in small, medium, and OMG!.

She said I was a medium.

I already knew that.
For some years now, I've preferred tailor-made suits and shirts. When tailoring isn't easily available, practical or affordable, a careful choice of well-fitting garment is he next best thing
05-27-2019, 05:38 PM - 3 Likes   #67229
Pentaxian

There's a doctor in the GTA, Dr. Stubbs

When Dr. Stubbs met Dr. Long | Maclean's | JANUARY 31, 1994
05-27-2019, 05:44 PM - 6 Likes   #67230
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

As we end this day of remembrance, I just want to say how happy I am to be a part of such a great group of people. You guys are awesome.

Stopping by here is like stopping at the bar for a quick one after work and seeing the gang.

Now, it is time to think about the coming week. Set out everything for the morning, check the alarm, and hit the hay at about 7.

Say goodnight Gracie.