Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2019, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #67471
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
More like 25 cents or less. When I started driving in 1971 it was less than 30 cents.
Our "gas" prices here are what you good folks have to look forward to in 20 - 30 years time That's if we're not all driving electric cars by then

06-02-2019, 01:25 PM - 2 Likes   #67472
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
We got a $140 wagon yesterday for $40...brand new!
Driven by pure girl power - nice!
06-02-2019, 01:26 PM - 3 Likes   #67473
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Truth is knowledge.

Knowledge is power.

Power will set you free.

Oh, and duck.
Ow!!
06-02-2019, 06:18 PM   #67474
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
More like 25 cents or less. When I started driving in 1971 it was less than 30 cents.
33 cents a gallon where Iived. And the Canadian dollar was worth more at that time.

06-02-2019, 06:30 PM   #67475
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Gasoline was probably fifty cents a gallon back then too.
I started driving in the early 1970ís. Remember the gas wars? I recall paying nineteen cents a gallon for around a week. It had been running around twenty five to thirty cents a gallon, until gas stations started undercutting each other.

And donít forget that gas stations provided more than just gas. They were service stations. Wipe the windows, check the oil (and other engine compartment items), check and adjust tire air pressures.

And they had service bays too, put your car up on the rack, change the oil, feline the brakes, rotate tires.

They werenít convenience stores, they were the place you got your car serviced. Yes, you could get a cold soda and a candy bar while you waited, but if you wanted chips, salsa, a carton of milk, diapers and cigarettes you had to go to the grocery store.
06-02-2019, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #67476
Pentaxian

I started driving in the early 1970’s. Remember the gas wars? I recall paying nineteen cents a gallon for around a week. It had been running around twenty five to thirty cents a gallon, until gas stations started undercutting each other.

And don’t forget that gas stations provided more than just gas. They were service stations. Wipe the windows, check the oil (and other engine compartment items), check and adjust tire air pressures.

And they had service bays too, put your car up on the rack, change the oil, feline the brakes, rotate tires.

They weren’t convenience stores, they were the place you got your car serviced. Yes, you could get a cold soda and a candy bar while you waited, but if you wanted chips, salsa, a carton of milk, diapers and cigarettes you had to go to the grocery store.
Why did they hate us so much?

One of my buddies father owned one of the last mechanic owned service station in the Toronto area, and also wrote the Car section for the Toronto Star. Then they started turning the mechanics bays into grocery stores and coffee shops.

But one near my house is still a mechanic owned and operated gas bar. And the office still smells like engine oil.

Last edited by normhead; 06-02-2019 at 07:03 PM.
06-02-2019, 06:40 PM - 4 Likes   #67477
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They weren’t convenience stores, they were the place you got your car serviced. Yes, you could get a cold soda and a candy bar while you waited, but if you wanted chips, salsa, a carton of milk, diapers and cigarettes you had to go to the grocery store.
But you could get condoms from the restrooms in many of the service stations.
Sure, I remember gas wars and gas prices under two bits, but thought Racer was younger than what he is, he's almost ready for induction into the Old Fart's Club.
06-02-2019, 06:43 PM   #67478
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Happy Sunday, all...

Mum cooked lunch today, and it was good. A wonderful leg of British lamb, slow cooked in the oven for nearly four hours. When I used my meat thermometer to test it, the point slid in with absolutely no effort, so I guessed it would be tender... but, oh my... Carving it was almost impossible, as chunks were just falling away from the bone. The only seasoning she used on it was Aromat, but that's all it needed. She made a lovely gravy with the juices, and served it with boiled new potatoes, butter carrots, mixed vegetables and Yorkshire puddings.

About half of the meat is left over, so I'll make a hot pot or perhaps a curry with it tomorrow
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Tonight for dinner we had a lamb leg I roasted this afternoon. It was a New Zealand leg we bought in the Sainsburys post Easter sale, GBP8.99/kg (which for foreigners is a pretty good sale price here for lamb). The only sheep meat I know of which is consistently cheaper is the mutton at the halal butchers. Their current price, both at New Malden and at Headington is GBP7.99 for mutton shoulder (all the fore leg and the shoulder, including the whole scapula. Mutton is good for curry, cooked long and slow. Lamb is better for roast. I prefer the meat texture of New Zealand lamb, it is less likely to fragment but still cooks tender. Today's was 1.86kg cooked in pre-heated oven at 185C for two hours followed by about 30 minutes at 160C, then rested for quite a while. I deboned it, took out the femur, after buying, then froze. Today, just before cooking I tied it up, and even the cut portion held together nicely when carved. Guess the desirable properties of the meat are a result of New Zealand sheep walking about, and being smart enough to find their own food, not like the local ones that queue in the shed waiting for the farmer to feed them.
So is Sunday lamb for dinner day in England?

Here the most common meat for Sunday is chicken.

06-02-2019, 06:45 PM - 5 Likes   #67479
Loyal Site Supporter

Sure, I remember gas wars and gas prices under two bits, but thought Racer was younger than what he is, he's almost ready for induction into the Old Fart's Club.
You thought Racer was younger?
No: he, like you, Norm, and I is so old he farts dust.
06-02-2019, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #67480
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Testing the mention thing with a BB code method.

Our good friend [mention]robtcorl[/mention] likes to smoke meats.

They look mighty tasty too.

Oh, and he smokes and grills lots of other stuff too. Stuff most people would never think of putting on a grill.

*edit*

Looks like the BB code method didn't work, so @robtcorl would not have gotten it.
06-02-2019, 06:51 PM - 4 Likes   #67481
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

You thought Racer was younger?
No: he, like you, Norm, and I is so old he farts dust.
I am a younger member of the Old farts Club.

But I don't feel old.

By the way, who is that old guy staring back at me in the morning when I'm brushing my teeth?
06-02-2019, 06:58 PM - 4 Likes   #67482
Loyal Site Supporter

By the way, who is that old guy staring back at me in the morning when I'm brushing my teeth?
This is weird.
I've had some old goat stalking me like that for a few years now.

<que The Twilight Zone theme>
06-02-2019, 07:08 PM   #67483
Pentaxian

The Cardinals finished a 3 game sweep of the Cubs today.
The Cubs first baseman, Anthony Rizzo, reminds me a bit of our NZ Mark.
Maybe it's the nose?

06-03-2019, 03:29 AM - 1 Like   #67484
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

The Cardinals finished a 3 game sweep of the Cubs today.
The Cubs first baseman, Anthony Rizzo, reminds me a bit of our NZ Mark.
Maybe it's the nose?
Certainly isnít the hair.
06-03-2019, 04:29 AM   #67485
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
So is Sunday lamb for dinner day in England?

Here the most common meat for Sunday is chicken.

Wouldn't say that, it just looks like that with our two posts so close.

Sheep meat is fairly popular here.