Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2019, 07:52 AM - 3 Likes   #67771
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,415
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Bonjour y'all ... just droppin' in to share a bit of info. I made the local paper(s) this morning ... !

https://www.lanouvellerepublique.fr/vienne/les-photons-john-harris-s-expose-...dfRpQaXlphYZM0

Here's a quick Google translate that I cleaned up a bit ...

"As every year, the Sancto-Benedictine photographic club, "The Photons", exhibits throughout the month of June its work of the year in the lobby of La Hune (at Saint-Benoīt) (it's a theater). Among the themes presented, a series "In the manner of ...", gives rise to beautiful shots around prestigious names of photographers such Franco Fontana, Sabine Weiss, Martin Parr, Raymond Depardon ... or painters like Andy Warhol, Claude Monet or Gustav Klimt. John Harris is a newcomer to the club. Of American origin, it (he) is installed at Poitiers since about fifteen years. Until 2018, he taught law and management at the School of Business and Management of Poitiers (Escem). "Photography has always been a hobby for me. In recent years, I have taken it a bit more seriously. I was looking for a club where I could meet other photography enthusiasts and discuss our respective practices. To have a third eye on my work. "
As part of the Photons exhibition, John Harris offers a series of digital photographs of flowers, made partly in the "Garden of Plants" of Poitiers, treated in the manner of Klimt (Flower Garden series) and Impressionist colorists, with delicate "Bokeh", areas of progressive blur in the background, highlighting the main subject. As part of the National Day of Blood Donor, Thursday, June 13 and Friday, June 14, the photographer (John) will exhibit at Blossac Salons in Poitiers, his black and white film images, street snapshots, captured during his wanderings (walks).
Exhibition of the club "Les Photons", reception hall of La Hune in Saint-Benoīt, until Saturday, June 30th. Free entry. Open on weekdays from 9 am to 12:30 pm, from 2 pm to 5:30 pm and during show hours. Free entry. Contact: Chantal Ciupa, President. Such. 06.07.74.30.87 or 05.49.36.03.41. Email: lesphotons86@gmail.com - John Harris website: Flickr: www.flickr. com / photos / 139020494 @ N02"

NB - The "beard" attempt is a first for me and only three weeks old when the photo was taken. It looks better now. Really. Trust me.
Way cool John!

I was a late bloomer, and couldn't grow a decent beard until my late 20's. When I could, I sported a beard almost continuously until about 10 years ago, and then still kept a mustache.

In fact I have't seen my upper lip without hair since my twenties.

Oh, and the t-shirt was the first thing I noticed.

Then I saw some of your great work on the wall in the photo.

Again, awesome!



06-09-2019, 08:01 AM - 3 Likes   #67772
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lowlands of Norway
Posts: 13,309
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Bonjour y'all ... just droppin' in to share a bit of info. I made the local paper(s) this morning ... !

https://www.lanouvellerepublique.fr/vienne/les-photons-john-harris-s-expose-...dfRpQaXlphYZM0

Here's a quick Google translate that I cleaned up a bit ...

"As every year, the Sancto-Benedictine photographic club, "The Photons", exhibits throughout the month of June its work of the year in the lobby of La Hune (at Saint-Benoīt) (it's a theater). Among the themes presented, a series "In the manner of ...", gives rise to beautiful shots around prestigious names of photographers such Franco Fontana, Sabine Weiss, Martin Parr, Raymond Depardon ... or painters like Andy Warhol, Claude Monet or Gustav Klimt. John Harris is a newcomer to the club. Of American origin, it (he) is installed at Poitiers since about fifteen years. Until 2018, he taught law and management at the School of Business and Management of Poitiers (Escem). "Photography has always been a hobby for me. In recent years, I have taken it a bit more seriously. I was looking for a club where I could meet other photography enthusiasts and discuss our respective practices. To have a third eye on my work. "
As part of the Photons exhibition, John Harris offers a series of digital photographs of flowers, made partly in the "Garden of Plants" of Poitiers, treated in the manner of Klimt (Flower Garden series) and Impressionist colorists, with delicate "Bokeh", areas of progressive blur in the background, highlighting the main subject. As part of the National Day of Blood Donor, Thursday, June 13 and Friday, June 14, the photographer (John) will exhibit at Blossac Salons in Poitiers, his black and white film images, street snapshots, captured during his wanderings (walks).
Exhibition of the club "Les Photons", reception hall of La Hune in Saint-Benoīt, until Saturday, June 30th. Free entry. Open on weekdays from 9 am to 12:30 pm, from 2 pm to 5:30 pm and during show hours. Free entry. Contact: Chantal Ciupa, President. Such. 06.07.74.30.87 or 05.49.36.03.41. Email: lesphotons86@gmail.com - John Harris website: Flickr: www.flickr. com / photos / 139020494 @ N02"

NB - The "beard" attempt is a first for me and only three weeks old when the photo was taken. It looks better now. Really. Trust me.
Congrats, John! Your images must have made quite an impression when even the beard couldn't scare them away
06-09-2019, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #67773
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,505
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
He who dies with the most toys, still dies.
True ... and one can only put so many into the coffin to go along with you.

Which reminds me that I need to make a "short list" of which lenses I shall be buried and/or burned with ...
06-09-2019, 08:43 AM - 2 Likes   #67774
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,505
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Way cool John!

I was a late bloomer, and couldn't grow a decent beard until my late 20's. When I could, I sported a beard almost continuously until about 10 years ago, and then still kept a mustache.

In fact I have't seen my upper lip without hair since my twenties.

Oh, and the t-shirt was the first thing I noticed.

Then I saw some of your great work on the wall in the photo.

Again, awesome!
Late bloomer ... ?! And thanks, too.

This is my first real try at growing one ... heck, everyone around me has one, more or less. And some much, much less than me after only three weeks ...

06-09-2019, 08:45 AM   #67775
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,505
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Congrats, John! Your images must have made quite an impression when even the beard couldn't scare them away
Merci !

And my B&W beard-ette was a nice contrast as to my colorful images ...
06-09-2019, 09:35 AM - 4 Likes   #67776
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,415
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Late bloomer ... ?!
Puberty doesn't come to everyone at 12 years of age. For me it didn't begin until I was nearly 18. I didn't have to really shave much until I was in my late twenties.

Here I am at about 25.




Mostly peach fuzz, lather up and scrape once a week.
06-09-2019, 09:53 AM - 2 Likes   #67777
Pentaxian
robtcorl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,289
Mrs Bob has never seen me without a 'stache, I'd feel nekkid without it.
06-09-2019, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #67778
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,936
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Merci beaucoup ... and did you see the T-shirt ?!
Great t-shirt! Congratulations!

06-09-2019, 01:16 PM - 5 Likes   #67779
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,936
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
He who dies with the most toys, still dies.
Well, aren't you a ray of sunshine this morning!
06-09-2019, 01:23 PM   #67780
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,415
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Well, aren't you a ray of sunshine this morning!
Why yes.

Yes I am.

In other news, Sebastien Vettel led the entire Canadian GP, flag to flag, but a penalty gave the win to Lewis Hamilton who actually crossed the line second.

I think Vettel was robbed.

So does he.
06-09-2019, 02:23 PM - 4 Likes   #67781
dbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Clare Valley S A
Posts: 2,535
Good Morning All

Well.....
Lots to read through, don't you just love public holiday weekends
Bob started the O.F.C. I'm almost there.....and bbqing of course
Racer has been showing off his toys....moderately of course
Mark ...well.....he's still on his bike.......must have a 'booty' like Bobs 'friends' picture.......;all that riding
Charlie........Holidays for him and family...dropped under the 48th and kept on going to......Mexico
Savouche....Moving house oh what fun
And congrats to Jean and Ken for winning and or articles in local papers

Dave
06-09-2019, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #67782
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 12,719
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Bonjour y'all ... just droppin' in to share a bit of info. I made the local paper(s) this morning ... !
Awesome, John - just awesome! Well done and congratulations, my friend
06-09-2019, 06:57 PM - 2 Likes   #67783
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,415
Something for the man for whom a fifth just isn't enough.



By the way, who wears a wool suit in the French Quarter, anyway?
06-09-2019, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #67784
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,452
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Why yes.

Yes I am.

In other news, Sebastien Vettel led the entire Canadian GP, flag to flag, but a penalty gave the win to Lewis Hamilton who actually crossed the line second.

I think Vettel was robbed.

So does he.
I saw that too. I agree. Next time you just might was well take another car out of the race with you. Heck, I don't even recognize that as F1 racing. Not sure what it is. Way too many rules and something weird about having to race on both hard and soft tires. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is that all about?
06-10-2019, 01:21 AM   #67785
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,505
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Awesome, John - just awesome! Well done and congratulations, my friend
Merci bien, mon ami !
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bacon, bagpipes, beer, breakfast, canada, catch 22, cheese, drink, dslr, ford, general talk, gin, guns, igunaq, k-3, k-mount, k3, kids, lutefisk, lycra, marital relations, pentax k-3, possums, sandwich, scotch, shirley, snoring, spam, squirrels, toilet, tokyo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
why I will buy a K3 chicagojohn Pentax K-3 80 09-18-2016 08:42 AM
Suggestion Neutralize the 'why I won't buy a k-3' thread crewl1 Site Suggestions and Help 61 10-04-2014 05:08 PM
Why I Won't Be Buying A K5IIs Racer X 69 Pentax K-5 40 02-03-2014 08:12 PM
Why I don't buy Pentax lenses keyser Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 44 12-20-2012 01:58 AM
I feel so old: 8 things the facebook gen won't buy Nesster General Talk 27 04-22-2012 11:01 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:45 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top