Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #6766
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
That's very interesting ... in 1919, Pétain was of a "national hero" status in France, as I understand it ... with the Vichy Government of WWII and afterwards, history was (and historians were) not so kind to him ... still a topic of "debate" at times IMHO ... J
Oooo! Oooo! WWII history buff here!!!

02-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #6767
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Are we talking about the soup or the boy band?
Well, I was talking about the soup, but you know how these things morph.
02-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #6768
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Either way works - I just wanted to be sure.

PS: After two days with a nasty stomach bug, this turn of subject... has no effect on me. I think I've lost all interest in food, good or bad.
02-27-2014, 11:05 AM   #6769
Site Supporter

Either way works - I just wanted to be sure.

PS: After two days with a nasty stomach bug, this turn of subject... has no effect on me. I think I've lost all interest in food, good or bad.
What's it the kids say these days? "Pictures, or it didn't happen"?

Bad idea...

02-27-2014, 11:16 AM   #6770
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
They also say "Too Much Information" - but I don't think they know what it means...
02-27-2014, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #6771
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

Bad idea...
They also say "Too Much Information" - but I don't think they know what it means...
The difference between the two responses to what can easily be the same subject is related to
  1. Who is in the picture
  2. Who is viewing the picture
Anything Dad did / does is subject to POIDH. Any Proof of Claim Dad offers is TMI.

Dad asking for same is Creeper. Dad seeing pictures is WAY TMI.
02-27-2014, 11:27 AM   #6772
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The difference between the two responses to what can easily be the same subject is related to
  1. Who is in the picture
  2. Who is viewing the picture
Anything Dad did / does is subject to POIDH. Any Proof of Claim Dad offers is TMI.

Dad asking for same is Creeper. Dad seeing pictures is WAY TMI.
...and no matter what you choose it's the wrong one.
02-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #6773
Veteran Member

Too much for kids works in your favor! Me and the Mrs. found if you want to clear the room, start making out!! Kids run away screaming!! If you have a holdout, start explaining how your love is what got them here! Works great every time!! That is my children's idea of tmi!

02-27-2014, 11:49 AM   #6774
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yup - A Moose Drool or two and off you go.
02-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #6775
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Too much for kids works in your favor! Me and the Mrs. found if you want to clear the room, start making out!! Kids run away screaming!! If you have a holdout, start explaining how your love is what got them here! Works great every time!! That is my children's idea of tmi!
Kyle: I thought you said the wonder of Mother Nature was a beautiful thing.
Stan: Yeah, when does Mother Nature go from beautiful to ugly?
Chef: Usually about 9:30 in the morning, children.
02-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #6776
Site Supporter

Oooo! Oooo! WWII history buff here!!!
I won the Holland Hall "History Award" in 11th grade and got Carl Sandburg's "Abraham Lincoln" book as a prize (both "The Prairie Years" and "The War Years") ... one of the few books that I bothered to bring to France with me from the States. J

---------- Post added 02-27-14 at 20:13 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I don't care if we talk about things like haggis, but please, no more bot fly videos? I'm getting totally grossed out here... UGH :P
What about "Tripoux" ... Tripoux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.google.fr/search?q=tripou&client=firefox-a&hs=UhS&rls=org.mozill...w=1366&bih=597

---------- Post added 02-27-14 at 20:18 ----------

And ... what about "Andouillette" ?! ... J

"Serving: Andouillettes can be served either hot or cold, with the former much more common. As with all lower intestine sausages, andouillettes are to some extent an acquired taste. Their smell may offend people unaccustomed to the dish. The texture is somewhat rougher than sausages, as the content is coarsely cut. ..." {Emphasis added}

Andouillette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 02-27-2014 at 12:19 PM.
02-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #6777
Veteran Member

I won the Holland Hall "History Award" in 11th grade and got Carl Sandburg's "Abraham Lincoln" book as a prize (both "The Prairie Years" and "The War Years") ... one of the few books that I bothered to bring to France with me from the States. J
The Civil war by shelby Foote!! Awesome!! And my personal favorite The one put out by Bill Mauldin Up Front!
02-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #6778
Veteran Member

02-27-2014, 01:03 PM   #6779

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Yup - A Moose Drool or two and off you go.
Did someone mention Moose Drool?

02-27-2014, 01:03 PM   #6780
Site Supporter

That's very interesting ... in 1919, Pétain was of a "national hero" status in France, as I understand it ... with the Vichy Government of WWII and afterwards, history was (and historians were) not so kind to him ... still a topic of "debate" at times IMHO ... J
Maybe the kindness of the historians for him declined when seeing, first the count back on casualties at places like Verdun (420,000 French dead defending against 380,000 German dead over 9 months in 1916 for a total exchange of about 3-4 sq miles of land). The Germans knew what would happen - Verdun was the site where Charlemagne divided his empire among his three sons - so the French would never relinquish it. And of course his WWII choices were something which in the hindsight of the outcome diminished him very much.

And to mention Charlemagne. In 1992 I went into the Air New Zealand office in Auckland, for some normal airline business. Something about my name, I forget now what, prompted the man behind the counter, middle aged, to say something which I recognised as an allusion to some literature, so I replied "Charlemagne, that mighty man of mould" (from Dorothy Sayers' translation of The Song of Roland) which really made his day because that was, he said, his favourite poem.

In the hills here we have a series of towns on the main highway towards Melbourne, Vimy Ridge, Verdun, and then German Town Hill followed by Hahndorf, named after the German captain of the ship that brought a group of German religious refugees in the 1840's.