Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2019, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #67996
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,043
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
You are saying Charlie really is Uri Geller? :confused;
You don't have to be Uri Geller to do the fork thing, I learned it. Restaurant owners hate it, and you don't want tot do it at home.

06-13-2019, 02:00 PM   #67997
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lowlands of Norway
Posts: 13,285
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Backpackers cut the labels off their shirts to reduce weight, maybe you could ride faster if you did shave there?
Nah. Real backpackers don't have shirts. One shirt is plenty.
06-13-2019, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #67998
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,400
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Bacon
Three hours and none of you other mokes have given this a like?

Come on man, all y’all are slippin’!
06-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #67999
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,400
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Nah. Real backpackers don't have shirts. One shirt is plenty.
I always take one change of clothes when I go into the woods.

Always have a contingency plan.

06-13-2019, 03:26 PM - 2 Likes   #68000
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,154
At my age I take a clean set of clothes everywhere.
06-13-2019, 03:34 PM - 4 Likes   #68001
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,400
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
and bull hockey is played in a pasture.
When I was growing up my family met up with some of my moms family and we camped in the Lassen Volcanic National Park. There were cattle roaming freely in the park, grazing the mountain meadows. My cousins and I collected all the cow chips we could find and used them as firewood for the campfire.

Worked awesome, and the smell was like fresh baked brownies.

We all had B.B. guns, and lacking much for targets, we tried shooting fresh cow pies. Produced some interesting results, and made us all bust out laughing. We laughed so much our sides hurt.
06-13-2019, 04:35 PM - 3 Likes   #68002
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,908
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
When I was growing up my family met up with some of my moms family and we camped in the Lassen Volcanic National Park. There were cattle roaming freely in the park, grazing the mountain meadows. My cousins and I collected all the cow chips we could find and used them as firewood for the campfire.

Worked awesome, and the smell was like fresh baked brownies.

We all had B.B. guns, and lacking much for targets, we tried shooting fresh cow pies. Produced some interesting results, and made us all bust out laughing. We laughed so much our sides hurt.
My dad said that, when they were kids (in the Great Depression) they could not afford shoes, so went everywhere barefoot, even in winter. So, when walking to school they warmed their feet in fresh cowpats.
The classroom must have had an interesting odour.
06-13-2019, 04:51 PM - 6 Likes   #68003
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,154
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
My dad said that, when they were kids (in the Great Depression) they could not afford shoes, so went everywhere barefoot, even in winter. So, when walking to school they warmed their feet in fresh cowpats.
The classroom must have had an interesting odour.
My grandfather said that by the time he got his first pair of shoes he had to put rocks in them to be comfortable.

06-13-2019, 05:00 PM - 2 Likes   #68004
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,908
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
My grandfather said that by the time he got his first pair of shoes he had to put rocks in them to be comfortable.
06-13-2019, 05:20 PM   #68005
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,400
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Here they call soccer football.

There needs to be a brand descriptor for kinds of football.
Australian
Rugby League
Rugby Union
Gaelic
American
Soccer
So here is how I see it.

The game as played in North America, we will continue to call American Football. Pretty sure everyone would be onboard with that.

The other game, played with a ball similar to the American Football in shape, although not size, played by a bunch of hooligans who refuse to wear any protection or helmets (and I would guess they don't even wear an athletic supporter or a cup, those boys are that tough), and put up much more of a fight over the ball than those Americans ever did, well, i think Rugby is a perfect name for that game. And I bet everyone else would agree, for the same reasons

The other game, where a bunch of guys kick around a ball that isn't really round, but a truncated icosahedron, and bounce it off their heads, but don't dare touch it with their hands, well, I think we should call that game No Hands.

Does anyone want to second that motion?
06-13-2019, 05:34 PM   #68006
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,908
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So here is how I see it.

The game as played in North America, we will continue to call American Football. Pretty sure everyone would be onboard with that.

The other game, played with a ball similar to the American Football in shape, although not size, played by a bunch of hooligans who refuse to wear any protection or helmets (and I would guess they don't even wear an athletic supporter or a cup, those boys are that tough), and put up much more of a fight over the ball than those Americans ever did, well, i think Rugby is a perfect name for that game. And I bet everyone else would agree, for the same reasons

The other game, where a bunch of guys kick around a ball that isn't really round, but a truncated icosahedron, and bounce it off their heads, but don't dare touch it with their hands, well, I think we should call that game No Hands.

Does anyone want to second that motion?
Well, Football is easy: You play it with your feet, and occasionally bouncing it on your head. But you don't touch it with your hands except for the goalkeeper or if the ball is out of play. That's why it's called "football". As in "foot" and "ball".

Rugby is rugby. No pads and so on.

As for American football: I can't help you with that!
06-13-2019, 05:35 PM - 2 Likes   #68007
dbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Clare Valley S A
Posts: 2,521
Well..........

No hands.........thats Soccer or Football in Greater Europe..
Gaelic......thats a cross of soccer and Aussie Rules..
Rugby Union......A brawl called a game...
Rugby League........same as above with more breaks...
American Football......ah I won't offend....
Aussie Rules.....sometimes called ariel ping pong.....

Thats the games according to a NASA actor..........who he is no one knows


Dave
06-13-2019, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #68008
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,400
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Well, Football is easy: You play it with your feet, and occasionally bouncing it on your head. But you don't touch it with your hands except for the goalkeeper or if the ball is out of play. That's why it's called "football". As in "foot" and "ball".
Foot and ball leaves out the head.

Like I said, No Hands.

They should only allow players who have no arms. I remember a lot of kids growing up who had no arms. Some kind of birth defect thing that was going around.

They would have made perfect No Hands players.

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Rugby is rugby. No pads and so on.
Rugby is awesome.

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
As for American football: I can't help you with that!
I can't help me with that.

I don't follow it.

Bunch of wusses with helmets and shoulder pads, anyway.
06-13-2019, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #68009
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,400
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Well, Football is easy: You play it with your feet, and occasionally bouncing it on your head. But you don't touch it with your hands except for the goalkeeper or if the ball is out of play. That's why it's called "football". As in "foot" and "ball".
OK.

A compromise.

Foot And Head Ball

Wait a minute.

It isn't a ball, it is a truncated icosahedron.

So it is Foot And Head Truncated Icosahedron

Game
06-13-2019, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #68010
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,400
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
American Football......ah I won't offend....
That's very nice of you Dave.

But I don't think it would offend me.

Nope.
Reply
« Cleaning Sensor | - »

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bacon, bagpipes, beer, breakfast, canada, catch 22, cheese, drink, dslr, ford, general talk, gin, guns, igunaq, k-3, k-mount, k3, kids, lutefisk, lycra, marital relations, pentax k-3, possums, sandwich, scotch, shirley, snoring, spam, squirrels, toilet, tokyo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
why I will buy a K3 chicagojohn Pentax K-3 80 09-18-2016 08:42 AM
Suggestion Neutralize the 'why I won't buy a k-3' thread crewl1 Site Suggestions and Help 61 10-04-2014 05:08 PM
Why I Won't Be Buying A K5IIs Racer X 69 Pentax K-5 40 02-03-2014 08:12 PM
Why I don't buy Pentax lenses keyser Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 44 12-20-2012 01:58 AM
I feel so old: 8 things the facebook gen won't buy Nesster General Talk 27 04-22-2012 11:01 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:24 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top