Airbus!?!?!
Yes, with sharklets.
That would worry me over water.

07-12-2019, 02:51 PM - 5 Likes   #68912
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Just had an earthquake here. Just a little before 3AM local time, 4.7 magnitude, centered about 5 miles from my home.

Scared the **** out of me.
In the 1980s, shortly after marrying Mrs. P, I got stationed in Southern California. Having grown up in California I was used to earthquakes. Mrs. P grew up in the Midwest and had never experienced one. One night I woke up to her rather excitedly calling my name. When I woke up I saw her braced in a doorway saying "Can't you feel that?! Can't you feel that!?!" I said "yeah, it's an earthquake", rolled over and went back to sleep.
How did I know that wasn't the right reaction?
07-12-2019, 02:59 PM - 2 Likes   #68913
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You answered your own question, you hadn't finished basic training yet.
shortly after marrying Mrs. P
07-12-2019, 03:48 PM - 5 Likes   #68914
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Marriage basic, anyway.
Still haven't, 34 years later.

07-12-2019, 04:03 PM - 2 Likes   #68915
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I was tracking the animated plane when it did a 180, pointing back to LA, then after a bit it turned back on track.
Any idea what that was all about? Kind of freaked me out a bit.
Loop the loop?
07-12-2019, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #68916
Veteran Member

Loop the loop?
Everything looks fine, I deleted my post.
The plane's speed did kick it up a few knots right after the turn around.
07-12-2019, 04:14 PM - 4 Likes   #68917
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

In the 1980s, shortly after marrying Mrs. P, I got stationed in Southern California. Having grown up in California I was used to earthquakes. Mrs. P grew up in the Midwest and had never experienced one. One night I woke up to her rather excitedly calling my name. When I woke up I saw her braced in a doorway saying "Can't you feel that?! Can't you feel that!?!" I said "yeah, it's an earthquake", rolled over and went back to sleep.
I too am from So Cal, and had gotten quite used the the almost daily tremors. We would be sitting at the dinner table, and the dishes in the cupboard would begin to rattle. Everyone would stop, forks paused halfway between the plate and mouth. When the rattling dishes subsided, we went back to the meal, as if it had never happened.

But they don't happen with the frequency here that California gets them, so when they do happen, it can be unnerving. Especially at 2:53AM.

Especially when the approaching shock wave causes me to think it is a large helicopter approaching, but not all the associated sounds go with it. And since the house is mostly concrete it doesn't respond like a stick framed structure does.

I don't like it Sam I am.

Not even with green eggs and ham.

No way.

07-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #68918
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Everything looks fine, I deleted my post.
The plane's speed did kick it up a few knots right after the turn around.
So you don't think there was some extra curricular aerobatics going on then?
07-12-2019, 04:24 PM   #68919
Veteran Member

So you don't think there was some extra curricular aerobatics going on then?
No clue.
I'll ask my daughter when they get there in about an hour if she knows.
07-12-2019, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #68920
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I too am from So Cal, and had gotten quite used the the almost daily tremors. We would be sitting at the dinner table, and the dishes in the cupboard would begin to rattle. Everyone would stop, forks paused halfway between the plate and mouth. When the rattling dishes subsided, we went back to the meal, as if it had never happened.

But they don't happen with the frequency here that California gets them, so when they do happen, it can be unnerving. Especially at 2:53AM.

Especially when the approaching shock wave causes me to think it is a large helicopter approaching, but not all the associated sounds go with it. And since the house is mostly concrete it doesn't respond like a stick framed structure does.

No way.
In light if the recent CA quakes yours concern me. It's as if the whole coastline is giving way.
07-12-2019, 09:42 PM - 2 Likes   #68921
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No way.
We have many shakes. Usually little ones. They don't call us "The Shakey Isles" for nothin'.
See here: GeoNet: Quakes - Weak and above
07-12-2019, 10:24 PM - 3 Likes   #68922
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In light if the recent CA quakes yours concern me. It's as if the whole coastline is giving way.
He’s in/near Mt. St. Helens country and on a geologic scale you are close enough to Yellowstone, which is acting up again. Yikes!
07-12-2019, 10:51 PM   #68923
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No planned trips to west coast. Boss’s budget has almost stopped travel for the last 2 years. Too bad about that. Only work trip other than driving 100 miles was to Philippines in April. First time there. Very interesting even though I was there for 3 days and most of every day day was meetings in the same room.
07-13-2019, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #68924
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Daughter and hubby are currently in flight, on an Airbus A321, from LAX to Lihue, Kauai. Staying there for 2.5 weeks.
Looks like a flat flight to me.

AA265 - American Airlines AA 265 Flight Tracker
A six hour flight? Sounds like enough on an A321... But I'd think the stay on Kauai will be worth it - and then some
07-13-2019, 05:24 AM - 3 Likes   #68925
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
A six hour flight? Sounds like enough on an A321... But I'd think the stay on Kauai will be worth it - and then some
If they had to fly around the earth it would have taken 6 hours, but with the earth being flat it only took 3 hours.
They left LA at about 11:40 and arrived at 14:40.
So many FE doubters!