Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
07-17-2019, 10:06 AM - 2 Likes   #69091
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Deep...but a little early to be into the bourbon, no?
At that hour it would have been scotch, eh?

07-17-2019, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #69092
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
And the bother of trying to buy some windscreen wipers on Amazon. I inserted my car registration number and their system correctly identified the model of my car.
The first wipers I bought were from a German maker, Heyner. They comprised wiper blades and several plastic adapter mouldings. One of the adapters fitted into my wiper arms, but the people at Heyner had been so lazy they never checked that the adapters they shipped as part of their product actually fitted with the other part of their product. Pure laziness.
The next one I bought was Bosch. The pictures on Amazon were not good enough to see exactly the connecting bit that fits into the wiper arms. On arrival I found that it did not fit.

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a strip of wiper rubber and slide it into the wiper blades myself, just like the old days? That would solve my problem because there is nothing wrong with the structure, it is only the rubber that has failed.
Are there no auto parts stores there?

Or the parts department at the auto dealer for the car make you have?

When I bought my Subaru Legacy my first stop, before driving home was the parts department at the dealer I bought the car from. I purchased 20 sets of wiper refills (the car has 3 wipers and all 3 are different lengths), and 20 engine oil filters. I still have a few sets of wiper refills left, but had to buy another 20 oil filters several years ago. I will need to restock soon, as I just passed 175,000 miles on the odometer.
07-17-2019, 10:30 AM - 2 Likes   #69093
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
That brought a smile to this old man's face.

Sheesh Bob, you look so much different without your warface on.
07-17-2019, 12:03 PM - 4 Likes   #69094
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why don’t Canadians have group sex?
Too many thank-you notes to write afterward.

07-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #69095
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Too early in the season for crickets. We start hearing them later in August. And we don't rob them or over throw them, we just let them chirp. I think I am confused again; poms? And we eat Kiwis here in Canada. I hope that does not disgust anyone.
Pommes. I'm sure he meant pommes.
07-17-2019, 01:20 PM - 2 Likes   #69096
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm here... I just tend not to get "into it" on sport But I do have my opinions, so here goes:

- Everyone knows that every sport and every tournament / contest / match is regulated by well-documented rules (we don't have to like 'em, but they exist, and for good reason)
- Everyone knows that umpires / referees / judges in every sport make mistakes, which is hardly surprising given the range and volume of aspects they're monitoring
- Everyone knows that finals in any tournament or league contest attract far more critique than earlier legs where, no surprise, umpiring and judging mistakes occur too
- Everyone knows that, despite mistakes, an umpire or judge's word is final (someone has to be ultimately responsible)

... and then:

- Everyone knows that NZ and England played absolutely neck and neck with nothing to choose between them... In that sense, they were both winners, and aside from the rules, I'd be happy if a draw was declared
- Everyone knows that the ICC rules mean there must be a single winner for the World Cup
- Everyone knows that the umpires missed something in the final, but no-one knows how that decision (or a different one) would / could have affected the match
- Everyone knows that a whole bunch of other umpiring mistakes were probably made in earlier legs, that didn't get the same attention for obvious reasons

... and finally:

- No-one should be too surprised when the losing team(s) and supporters pore over every detail to see how the winning team's victory might be bogus - but it's hardly endearing...
- Gentlemen should, IMHO, accept whatever official decisions are made with grace
- There aren't too many gentlemen around these days, especially where sport's concerned
- The winning team and their supporters really appreciate when the losing team and their supporters simply respect the result, congratulate them, and are happy for them

Cricket isn't a big sport for me (few are, actually). I'm a boxing guy, primarily. Now, there's a sport where big events - big title fights - can be won or lost on the decisions of referees and judges... and, frequently, mistakes and poor decisions are made. But they are what they are. They're part of the sport, an acknowledged risk. So long as there's no foul play, one accepts the decision gracefully, congratulates the winner, and shows absolute respect for the competitor. At least, that's what I'd do...

One could tear apart the victory and hold up the victor's win as somehow false. One could analyse every second of every game leading up to the final from start to finish, looking for mistakes. But... well, it seems rather churlish and unsportsmanlike, no?

EDIT: I've read from some quarters that the correct result should have been a draw... but that's against the rules of the tournament. Yet, the same folks suggesting it are very tight on the umpires' application of rules. So which is it to be? It all seems rather ungentlemanly and against the whole character of cricket as a sport
Congrats, eh
07-17-2019, 01:26 PM - 4 Likes   #69097
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

We have the same predicament. the roof was not built with trusses but with rafters. The wall we are removing is load bearing so a post and beam (LVL) will have to replace it. Hopefully, the whole thing does not come down around our ears
Now, of it indeed does come down I certainly hope it comes down around you

Oh, and...

Last edited by savoche; 07-17-2019 at 01:58 PM.
07-17-2019, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #69098
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Cecil Rhodes tried to get the land to make that possible but the scheme fell apart.
That it did. The parts he did finish work well enough, though. The old 1st class sleeper carriages in Zimbabwe are beautiful, complete with the Rhodesian Railways logo on the mirrors - or at least they were when I traveled around the country in them some 23 years ago.

The trains in Tanzania were a tad more worn down. If anyone thinks the railway journey from Lake Victoria to Dar es Salaam is a quick one... Well, it isn't.
07-17-2019, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #69099
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Pommes. I'm sure he meant pommes.
pommes de terre?
07-17-2019, 04:10 PM - 4 Likes   #69100
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

pommes de terre?
Pommes frites
07-17-2019, 04:13 PM - 3 Likes   #69101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Why don’t Canadians have group sex?
Too many thank-you notes to write afterward.
Sorry
07-17-2019, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #69102
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice! I guess I was wondering why you had to remove the drywall.
The sink is in very nearly the same location as before, but the new sink will have a bench mounted mixer tap, while the previous sink had two wall taps. So, we needed to move the hot and cold feeds and also move the waste slightly. On the other wall, we had two (old style) double hotpoints and that's changing to three new (smaller modern style) double hotpoints. Also, I needed to install the feed for the new concealed under-cabinet lighting. And I needed to move the supply pipe for the fridge icemaker. So, yes, the drywall had to come off.
07-17-2019, 04:26 PM - 3 Likes   #69103
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does that gas pump serve stout?
Funny how everyone wants me to install a keg in the 1950's Shell pump! The answer is still no!
07-17-2019, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #69104
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We have the same predicament. the roof was not built with trusses but with rafters. The wall we are removing is load bearing so a post and beam (LVL) will have to replace it. Hopefully, the whole thing does not come down around our ears
I trust you have a suitably qualified person to correctly size the LVL for the load. (One of the things I can do - but not in your jurisdiction.)
07-17-2019, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #69105
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I have been away for a few days...
Not one mention of the cricket!!!!
The Saffer-Kiwi must be too distraught to speak about it.
In Oz we don't like the Kiwis (only in sport, I hasten to add), but we didn't like the poms first; so we think the Kiwis were robbed.
- Robbed on several counts; the four overthrows, the idiotic countback system, the lack of another few overs to establish a winner, the cheapskate ICC who obviously can't afford a second trophy so it could be declared a draw.
Did I say it was a farce? NO? Well it was.

It was almost enough for us to be sorry for the Kiwis.
The Saffer-Kiwi was watching the Tour de France. So, I missed the general unhappiness of others caused by watching the cricket.