Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
07-18-2019, 04:00 AM   #69121
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Why is there not a guardrail there?
What for? In case somebody is stupid enough to back over the edge when they park? Come on, nobody will do that

Well, almost nobody.

Yeah, I guess a guardrail could fulfil a mission.

But it would spoil the view. And the parking is there for those who want to stop and admire the view, after all.

07-18-2019, 04:43 AM   #69122
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Are there no auto parts stores there?

Or the parts department at the auto dealer for the car make you have?

When I bought my Subaru Legacy my first stop, before driving home was the parts department at the dealer I bought the car from. I purchased 20 sets of wiper refills (the car has 3 wipers and all 3 are different lengths), and 20 engine oil filters. I still have a few sets of wiper refills left, but had to buy another 20 oil filters several years ago. I will need to restock soon, as I just passed 175,000 miles on the odometer.

There are some auto part shops. The only one in town I knew was famous for high prices. Have discovered another shop in town.

A real problem here is that with the distributed population in many small towns, none have the critical mass of population to sustain occasional visit type shops, and there is a very controversial tax here. They tax people who set up business a tax based on the size (floorspace) and kind of business they are trying to do. A tax on the resources they are spending money to use (either if they own or if they rent, the business owner pays), not a tax on the profit from the business. It seems often this tx is similar in value to the rent the business pays to the landlord. Therefore many shops are closing and those that are still there are expensive.
07-18-2019, 04:48 AM - 2 Likes   #69123
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
We call them power points.
Hotpoint used to be an electrical appliance brand name. - now gone the way of lots of other brands.

Hotpoint is still a brand here.

Made in China. Sometimes they get VERY hot and burn down the house.
07-18-2019, 04:51 AM - 3 Likes   #69124
Pentaxian

Why is there not a guardrail there?

It is something Darwinian.

07-18-2019, 04:59 AM   #69125
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
There are some auto part shops. The only one in town I knew was famous for high prices. Have discovered another shop in town.

A real problem here is that with the distributed population in many small towns, none have the critical mass of population to sustain occasional visit type shops, and there is a very controversial tax here. They tax people who set up business a tax based on the size (floorspace) and kind of business they are trying to do. A tax on the resources they are spending money to use (either if they own or if they rent, the business owner pays), not a tax on the profit from the business. It seems often this tx is similar in value to the rent the business pays to the landlord. Therefore many shops are closing and those that are still there are expensive.
Excess taxes.

Without getting into a taboo discussion, is it any wonder the Colonies revolted?
07-18-2019, 05:35 AM - 3 Likes   #69126
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
As in electrical outlets, or just outlets?
Still 110V?
Usually shortened to just outlet or power outlet.
110/111, whatever it takes.
We let you know if none are available.

07-18-2019, 12:30 PM - 4 Likes   #69127
Veteran Member

07-18-2019, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #69128
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
It is something Darwinian.
Yes, we try not to reward stupidity.

Or used to. We're quickly heading down the "blame society" road whenever some dullwit does something mindbogglingly stupid.

Oh well, at least we're not in full "who can I sue" mode yet where stupidity is the road to riches
07-18-2019, 01:39 PM - 4 Likes   #69129
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Usually shortened to just outlet or power outlet.
110/111, whatever it takes.
We let you know if none are available.
There are occasions when I'm feeling frustrated or angry about something, and it's nice to be able to get things off my chest. But sometimes, there's no-one around to discuss with. It's good to see you folks have signage for that too

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-18-2019 at 02:30 PM.
07-18-2019, 01:42 PM - 4 Likes   #69130
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

07-18-2019, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #69131
dbs
Pentaxian

Good Morning All

Well.....
World Cup is won and run.....sort of...and the Ashes are now on for the women and next for the men
The hills are waiting for the sound of .....wheels in France
While all that has been happening..kitchen reno's of the world are in full swing
4X4's left in the shed
Maple syrup mayhem and BACON butchery

Dave
07-18-2019, 02:14 PM - 2 Likes   #69132
Veteran Member

It's currently 95 with a Heat Index of 115.
You can imagine how enthused I would have been about playing golf after trying to survive each summer working outside.
It never happened, and it will never happen.
07-18-2019, 02:23 PM - 2 Likes   #69133
dbs
Pentaxian

You can imagine how enthused I would have been about playing golf after trying to survive each summer working outside.
Perfect golf weather........and a barbie after
07-18-2019, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #69134
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

That's hot, hot, hot, Bob!

We've had a run of - for this part of the UK - really nice weather this last week. Which is to say, it's been good and warm... in the 70s, even up into the low 80s on a couple of occasions, mostly dry and sunny with some cloud and the odd mild-to-heavy shower. Tomorrow afternoon is supposed to let loose with heavy rain, and on Saturday we've thunderstorms to look forward to... but all the while, with pleasant temperatures around 68 - 70F. Then from Sunday, through the rest of the week, it's forecast to be dry and sunny with temperatures gradually ramping up to, and staying around, high 70s, nudging 80s.

We get a real mix of weather here in the UK (as I'm sure you folks know), and especially up here in the North East. Honestly, I like the variety... but we can sometimes feel just a little cheated where summer is concerned Not this year, though. It's been lovely... and still only mid July. Fingers crossed for the rest of summer

Our regional schools finish up for the summer break tomorrow... which is great for the kids, of course, but it means the little ****** will be swarming around a lot of the places of interest I like to visit. They're back in classes from 3rd September, so until then I'll have to enjoy those places where there's very little for kids to do Do I sound grumpy? I'm not. I love kids, and I don't begrudge them one moment of enjoyment during their summer break. But, increasingly, I like peace and quiet, and privacy...
07-18-2019, 03:18 PM - 2 Likes   #69135
dbs
Pentaxian

Mike
That sounds like spring when does summer start ?.....