Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2019, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #69151
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
We’re not?
Well, on this side of the Atlantic we're not. Yet.

07-19-2019, 01:06 AM - 2 Likes   #69152
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
How did he (or his passenger) get out of the vehicle?
It might be that he looked down before stepping out and then crawled over to the passenger side. Those Germans are a careful lot, you know.
07-19-2019, 01:10 AM   #69153
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Although type M is the main one used in South Africa, Type C is commonly used too. But, almost always on adapters, almost no type C wall sockets, except for shaver points in bathrooms.
Yep. It seems most places accommodating for tourists have adapters installed, though. We bring our own adapters anyway. There's always some gadget needing recharging. I think it's called progress
07-19-2019, 01:14 AM - 1 Like   #69154
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Our son-in-law's ex-business partner, and his wife, are trying to address this issue.
Missouri Kids Unplugged – Get Unplugged, Get Outdoors
There are a few of those initiatives, and they seem to work quite well. It's not as if kids won't enjoy "real life" if given a chance. Mostly we are too busy (with our phones) to give them that chance. though...

07-19-2019, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #69155
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Excess taxes.

Without getting into a taboo discussion, is it any wonder the Colonies revolted?

I was careful to try to describe that as like news, not with the passion of the taboo matter.

It does rather reinforce a line I once thought of: "Some people so hate paying tax that if you want to distort their behaviour to make them do something they otherwise would not do, put a tax on it."

I am not so averse to paying tax that I would do strange things to avoid paying tax. Rather, I look at tax as part of the price of doing what I choose to do. Tell me upfront how much I pay to do what I want to do and I do not really care how much is received by the producer and how much is tax. I make my decision to buy on the basis of total cost to me. What I really hate are places, like most shops in America, who display the 'no tax' price but then insist I pay some extra amount to get the stuff, and I similarly dislike the restaurants who put a price on a menu and then expect me to pay their employee to work there as separate item, In the latter case, why not pay their employee properly and then include that in the menu price. If the employee gives exceptional service a tip may be in order.

BTW: I saw a restaurant in Singapore with a BIG sign instructing customers NOT to tip the staff. I wonder if in Singapore there was some tax implication for the restaurant if customers tipped the staff?
07-19-2019, 04:32 AM   #69156
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Good Morning All

Well.....
World Cup is won and run.....sort of...and the Ashes are now on for the women and next for the men
The hills are waiting for the sound of .....wheels in France
While all that has been happening..kitchen reno's of the world are in full swing
4X4's left in the shed
Maple syrup mayhem and BACON butchery

Dave

It rained heavily here this morning which may be helpful to us in the current ashes campaign. Australia already ahead in the series and doing well in the test.
07-19-2019, 04:38 AM   #69157
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That's hot, hot, hot, Bob!

We've had a run of - for this part of the UK - really nice weather this last week. Which is to say, it's been good and warm... in the 70s, even up into the low 80s on a couple of occasions, mostly dry and sunny with some cloud and the odd mild-to-heavy shower. Tomorrow afternoon is supposed to let loose with heavy rain, and on Saturday we've thunderstorms to look forward to... but all the while, with pleasant temperatures around 68 - 70F. Then from Sunday, through the rest of the week, it's forecast to be dry and sunny with temperatures gradually ramping up to, and staying around, high 70s, nudging 80s.

We get a real mix of weather here in the UK (as I'm sure you folks know), and especially up here in the North East. Honestly, I like the variety... but we can sometimes feel just a little cheated where summer is concerned Not this year, though. It's been lovely... and still only mid July. Fingers crossed for the rest of summer

Our regional schools finish up for the summer break tomorrow... which is great for the kids, of course, but it means the little ****** will be swarming around a lot of the places of interest I like to visit. They're back in classes from 3rd September, so until then I'll have to enjoy those places where there's very little for kids to do Do I sound grumpy? I'm not. I love kids, and I don't begrudge them one moment of enjoyment during their summer break. But, increasingly, I like peace and quiet, and privacy...

It already rained heavily down here so your turn next. Forecast is for continuing through the day.

So the schools start back to celebrate the 80th anniversary of WWII, or my now deceased grandfather's 119th birthday.

07-19-2019, 04:39 AM   #69158
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Mike
That sounds like spring when does summer start ?.....

Summer has started, the cricket is on. They even use the phrase "summer of cricket" here.
07-19-2019, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #69159
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Yep. It seems most places accommodating for tourists have adapters installed, though. We bring our own adapters anyway. There's always some gadget needing recharging. I think it's called progress

Problem with many hotel rooms I stay in is that they only have enough power sockets for the stuff the hotel provides, and those are hidden behind furniture so it is really inconvenient to charge your own devices. Kind of like they are worried about the price of the power you might consume, even though you are paying a week's rent of a house to stay in the room one night.
07-19-2019, 05:09 AM - 4 Likes   #69160
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ah yes. Golf. The game that keeps you away from home all day, for people who really don't like their significant others.
And some of us real crazy types not only play golf, but play golf with our significant others :-D
07-19-2019, 05:20 AM - 2 Likes   #69161
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
A friend, when she moved from Canada to Switzerland, bought a bunch of those "adapters". Of course those adapters are simply gender benders and do nothing for voltage and/or frequency. These adapters are all well and good for new electronics that are promiscuous enough to accept any voltage or frequency. Her very expensive 120V stand up kitchen mixer was not so accepting of the 230V intrusion. After much black smoke and coughing it was pronounced dead by adapter mis-use. Hubby bought her another the following Christmas.
07-19-2019, 05:26 AM - 3 Likes   #69162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good morning threadsters. Daughter spent the night and will be exploiting one of her many super-powers, this one which is packing, to starting filling boxes full of stuff to be trucked to our new abode. I am diligently teleworking today but have to take a quick trip to the eye doctor to get another eye exam. My new glasses just are not working out and I think the previous doctor messed up the prescription for my left eye. It makes working at a computer almost unbearable. Anyway, enough of my moaning. Have a great day everyone, and don't let your meat loaf!
07-19-2019, 05:52 AM - 3 Likes   #69163
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That's hot, hot, hot, Bob!
Hot! Hot! Hot! ???

07-19-2019, 05:54 AM - 3 Likes   #69164
Veteran Member

07-19-2019, 07:04 AM - 2 Likes   #69165