Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2019, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #69211
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Yep!

And thanks for reading what I meant rather than what I wrote

Cheers!
I just thought it was the Norwegian way of spelling organized. You still spell it funny.
Truth though is, I was skim reading and wish like hell I would have caught that, and had fun with it.

07-22-2019, 02:13 PM   #69212
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
No, you don’t. The day after we got home, unpacked the RV, and returned it to our friends, my son and I set out on a turn-n-burn road trip. Roughly 1700 miles each way, aiming for under a week. Two days out, overnight at our old neighbors, pick up our newest four-legged family member, and then return home. Return trip is going to be slower because of the logistics of traveling with an 8 week old puppy...

Pics will be somewhat delayed as a result.
Safe travels!
07-22-2019, 02:17 PM - 2 Likes   #69213
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We know this breeder very well, our younger one (presently 10 yrs old) came from her. She and her daughter have been breeding and showing Golden’s for many years and their bloodlines are excellent (so there is a lot less worry about cancer and other problems the breed gets). So, why not do a road trip? Plus we get to visit our old neighbors
Why not indeed! 3,400 miles though. That is quite a road trip. We live on a small island so those sort of distances seem quite a ways. Then, I did drive 6,500 miles on my great USA / Canada road trip, so fully understand!
07-22-2019, 02:25 PM - 2 Likes   #69214
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
No, you don’t. The day after we got home, unpacked the RV, and returned it to our friends, my son and I set out on a turn-n-burn road trip. Roughly 1700 miles each way, aiming for under a week. Two days out, overnight at our old neighbors, pick up our newest four-legged family member, and then return home. Return trip is going to be slower because of the logistics of traveling with an 8 week old puppy...

Pics will be somewhat delayed as a result.
Forget the lighthouses, I wanna see the puppy.

07-22-2019, 02:32 PM - 2 Likes   #69215
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

All this talk of driving, like a few thousand miles is a long ways. I typically drive about 30k a year in my personal vehicles.

And while driving big trucks my yearly average was over 150k.

So for me, 3.4k is like a trip to the store for beer.
07-22-2019, 03:08 PM - 3 Likes   #69216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
07-22-2019, 03:25 PM - 3 Likes   #69217
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

All this talk of driving, like a few thousand miles is a long ways. I typically drive about 30k a year in my personal vehicles.

I bought my little 4x4 in early December of 2014. As of this morning, four years and seven months later, I've covered 23,500 miles - which means I'm doing an average of around 5,130 miles per year.

Of course, I'm not commuting to work, and most of my grocery shopping and errands are in town just a couple of miles away, or occasionally in other nearby towns or cities less than 10 - 12 miles from home. Each year, I have a few longer runs - anything from 50 to 200 miles (one way) - when I'm visiting with friends, enjoying a day out further afield, or heading off on a short in-country vacation. I don't think I've driven much further than 200 miles one way in the last three years

There are downsides to living in such a small country (population expansion vs available space is at the top of that list, along with the resulting road traffic), but one upside is that everything is relatively close by... cities, hills, fens, beaches, forests, airports, seaports and more... lots of variety and lots of facilities. Like most Brits, though, I'm a wimp so far as driving long distances is concerned. I consider a three hour journey (six hour round trip) about the most I'd choose to drive in one day. I would love to visit Lundy Island again for a vacation (having been many times when I lived down south), but it's a six-and-a-half hour drive from here to the heliport in Devon, and I just don't have the appetite for such a journey (you good folks in the USA would probably laugh at that ). And then there's the cost of fuel... We pay so much more than most other countries for our diesel and petrol... Enough that, for a longer run, it's a consideration

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-22-2019 at 04:04 PM.
07-22-2019, 07:30 PM - 3 Likes   #69218
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Mike

50 - 200 miles well thats just getting started on a short holiday...you know overnighter

Thats in Oz anyway...its hours before the next turnoff.

Dave
07-23-2019, 12:46 AM - 1 Like   #69219
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote

That’s a big 10-4 there Bandit. Looks like you got a Smokey rollin’ up on your back door, come on?
07-23-2019, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #69220
Pentaxian

For that distance you could find your choice of beer in the country. That is gourmet stuff.
07-23-2019, 04:52 AM   #69221
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Mike

50 - 200 miles well thats just getting started on a short holiday...you know overnighter

Dave

Or the day trip I did sometimes, 300 miles each way, to see my sister who had gone to live in a country town. The country town where our parents lived when they just got married.
07-23-2019, 05:06 AM - 3 Likes   #69222
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
"Honey, which box is the corkscrew in?"
It's built in to the side of my Swiss army knife!
07-23-2019, 05:09 AM - 5 Likes   #69223
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well you do have a bit of a drive up north of the Canadian border to pick up good beer. ;-)
07-23-2019, 05:14 AM   #69224
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I bought my little 4x4 in early December of 2014. As of this morning, four years and seven months later, I've covered 23,500 miles - which means I'm doing an average of around 5,130 miles per year.

Of course, I'm not commuting to work, and most of my grocery shopping and errands are in town just a couple of miles away, or occasionally in other nearby towns or cities less than 10 - 12 miles from home. Each year, I have a few longer runs - anything from 50 to 200 miles (one way) - when I'm visiting with friends, enjoying a day out further afield, or heading off on a short in-country vacation. I don't think I've driven much further than 200 miles one way in the last three years

There are downsides to living in such a small country (population expansion vs available space is at the top of that list, along with the resulting road traffic), but one upside is that everything is relatively close by... cities, hills, fens, beaches, forests, airports, seaports and more... lots of variety and lots of facilities. Like most Brits, though, I'm a wimp so far as driving long distances is concerned. I consider a three hour journey (six hour round trip) about the most I'd choose to drive in one day. I would love to visit Lundy Island again for a vacation (having been many times when I lived down south), but it's a six-and-a-half hour drive from here to the heliport in Devon, and I just don't have the appetite for such a journey (you good folks in the USA would probably laugh at that ). And then there's the cost of fuel... We pay so much more than most other countries for our diesel and petrol... Enough that, for a longer run, it's a consideration
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Mike

Dave
Yep, Canada is sorta like that too. The Forester has been in the laneway for 2 years as of June the 2nd and already it has 65,000 km...so 20,000 miles a year?
07-23-2019, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #69225
Veteran Member

Mrs Bob drove 50 miles round trip for work.
Retired 2 years ago, and her 2015 Explorer has under 50K on it now.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »