Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2019, 01:13 AM - 1 Like   #70336
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Racer

I have seen it on a map before I think it was near the Belgum border and near the sea so south west of Holland.
Holland like Italy was not always a unified country but rather regions with there own goverments before becoming one unified country
As I understand it

Dave

BACON
Quite right, Dave. Hence the name "the Netherlands" - with an s. The name is in plural in German, Spanish, and French, too. And in Portuguese. And probably some others.

The full Dutch name is "het Koninkrijk der Nederlanden" - the kingdom of the Netherlands - but I believe that's for a different reason. The European part of the kingdom is called "Nederland", singular, while the other Nederlande are overseas territories. I think

09-11-2019, 03:21 AM - 2 Likes   #70337
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Probably own a k3 too, huh?
Nono, the original one, without the astrotracer!
09-11-2019, 03:30 AM - 2 Likes   #70338
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Quite right, Dave. Hence the name "the Netherlands" - with an s. The name is in plural in German, Spanish, and French, too. And in Portuguese. And probably some others.

The full Dutch name is "het Koninkrijk der Nederlanden" - the kingdom of the Netherlands - but I believe that's for a different reason. The European part of the kingdom is called "Nederland", singular, while the other Nederlande are overseas territories. I think
Die Nederlanden, or The Netherlands, is the group of provinces, of which North Holland and South Holland are two. Collectively, these provinces, along with some islands in the Caribbean make up the country, the Kingdom of the Netherlands. Netherlands because of it's low-lying nature.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 09-11-2019 at 03:36 AM.
09-11-2019, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #70339
Veteran Member

A fascinating country with an even more fascinating history. I grew up about three miles from the border - if you go on a bike trip and don't pay attention to where you are going, you may end up in a village where everyone suddenly speaks Dutch around you.

From the first major stock market crash (the tulip mania of 1637), to the largest corporation in world history (the Dutch East India Company's value at its height would equal $7.9 trillion today, almost ten times Apple's value), and their impressive history of land reclamation:

09-11-2019, 03:36 AM - 3 Likes   #70340
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Nederlanden, or Netherlands, is the group of provinces, of which North Holland and South Holland are two. Collectively, these provinces, along with some islands in the Caribbean make up the country, the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
Funny enough, my now relatively insignificant hometown of Geldern was once the seat of a powerful medieval duchy, the Duchy of Guelders. It was so influential and had such a vast territorial extent, that an entire province of the Netherlands was named after it: Gelderland
09-11-2019, 04:39 AM - 4 Likes   #70341
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Funny enough, my now relatively insignificant hometown of Geldern was once the seat of a powerful medieval duchy, the Duchy of Guelders. It was so influential and had such a vast territorial extent, that an entire province of the Netherlands was named after it: Gelderland

Was that a country for making geldings?
09-11-2019, 07:41 AM - 2 Likes   #70342
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was home with some kind of ailment. Flipping around channels I hit a Mexican station with live pictures of the towers and the words Nuevo York. Took a few seconds to sink in what was happening and where.

09-11-2019, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #70343
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ny-Ålesund has Ålesund.

But...

The part of Oslo called Nydalen has no counterpart Dalen. It's just short for Nygårdsdalen - 'the valley of Nygård'. Nygård simply means "new farm". So I guess sometimes 'new' just means 'new'.
Sounds like something out of Led Zep song
09-11-2019, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #70344
Pentaxian

That was a little more than 15 grams.
09-11-2019, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #70345
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Die Nederlanden, or The Netherlands, is the group of provinces, of which North Holland and South Holland are two. Collectively, these provinces, along with some islands in the Caribbean make up the country, the Kingdom of the Netherlands. Netherlands because of it's low-lying nature.

Limburg...is that where the cheese comes from?
09-11-2019, 07:57 AM - 3 Likes   #70346
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

House is starting to take shape. Counters go in tomorrow...and kitchen sink and dishwasher...yay!
Attached Images

09-11-2019, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #70347
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
House is starting to take shape. Counters go in tomorrow...and kitchen sink and dishwasher...yay!
Looking good, very good, Charlie!
09-11-2019, 08:11 AM - 2 Likes   #70348
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That was a little more than 15 grams.
The metric system has always been problematic for me.
09-11-2019, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #70349
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well from my high school daze, I remember that there are 28 grams in an ounce.....only bought an ounce once

:devilish: ...is this a mod only thing?
09-11-2019, 08:43 AM   #70350
Pentaxian

After 40 years of metric in Canada, it still is for me. I still don't know how tall I am or how much I weigh in metric.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »