Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2019, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #70516
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Um, bacon, eh?
Definitely.

It seems our favourite Big Brother is getting more helpful by the minute. I got an email asking me to confirm my address. I started typing the response "Yes, that is..." when the app auto-filled in "...the correct address."

Yes, convenient.

Yes, creepy.

09-23-2019, 05:53 AM - 2 Likes   #70517
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Ah, now that would be most people living outside the few areas suffiiciently urban to have hipster communities

Not really, though. I think our society is a tad too small and close knit to have that kind of (social) remoteness to any large degree. The reason I'm ribbing the population on the west side of the fjord is really that we are all the same - there's always been close contact between the two sides, but perhaps more in earlier times when sea faring was the main mode of transport. Now that road travel is the norm the fjord has become an obstacle rather than the means of contact.

Fjord has the same ancestry as firth and ford (see that, Mark?) - to cross - and also to fare.

Heh, that's what we call a digression, isn't it Always good to help staying off-topic!
Fear not I see that Norway is spending a hundred gazillion Euros building a highway to run along the entire west coast of the country. If completed it will be one engineering marvel. Greatly enhance the ability to spread bacon all over the country too.
09-23-2019, 06:01 AM - 2 Likes   #70518
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Fear not I see that Norway is spending a hundred gazillion Euros building a highway to run along the entire west coast of the country. If completed it will be one engineering marvel. Greatly enhance the ability to spread bacon all over the country too.
Marvel? Nah, I'm sure they'll just go on building silly things like this:

(Not my image)
09-23-2019, 06:53 AM - 2 Likes   #70519
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
On Saturday Oktoberfest is starting again here in Munich - crowds of people will be descending onto the city centre in search of completely overpriced beer (why, €11 for a litre of beer, yes please!), drunk tourists in cheap Dirndls and fake Lederhosen will be jumping onto the cycling tracks like they're suicidal and force me into F1-like evasive manoeuvres, the trains will be full of vomit, you'll need about half an hour to strong arm your way across the 150m of Mary's Square ... can I apply for asylum for three weeks in any of you guys' places? Preferences would be Norway, New Zealand, or Washington State/Montana/Minnesota.
Deep River Ontario Canada....far far away from any insanity

09-23-2019, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #70520
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
The Band. I still have their original LP.
It you don't like this rendition of The Weight, then there's something wrong with you.
Edit to add, Yes Charlie, I know Robbie is a Canuckian.

The Weight | Featuring Robbie Robertson | Playing For Change | Song Around The World - YouTube
GREAT stuff....hey, I think Ringo has upped his game on the drums!
09-23-2019, 07:06 AM - 4 Likes   #70521
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, Thursday to Saturday was a long running tradition amongst a few friends of mine; MudFest(tm). Sunday was recovery and cleaning of the SxS.
Attached Images

09-23-2019, 08:13 AM - 4 Likes   #70522
Veteran Member

At first I thought that was one of your theta shots.

09-23-2019, 08:21 AM - 2 Likes   #70523
Veteran Member

I love the Google search for image feature. Pretty interesting bridge.
"Storseisundet Bridge is a cantilever bridge that is 260 metres (850 ft) long and with a maximum clearance to the sea of 23 metres (75 ft). It was opened on 7 July 1989, and it was a toll road until June 1999.[3][4]

Over the six years that it took to construct, workers struggled with the region's wild weather and were interrupted by twelve hurricanes.[5] One hundred and twenty-two million Norwegian krone were spent completing the project, seventy-five percent of which came from public grants."
Storseisundet Bridge - Wikipedia
09-23-2019, 11:51 AM - 4 Likes   #70524
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I love the Google search for image feature. Pretty interesting bridge.
"Storseisundet Bridge is a cantilever bridge that is 260 metres (850 ft) long and with a maximum clearance to the sea of 23 metres (75 ft). It was opened on 7 July 1989, and it was a toll road until June 1999.[3][4]

Over the six years that it took to construct, workers struggled with the region's wild weather and were interrupted by twelve hurricanes.[5] One hundred and twenty-two million Norwegian krone were spent completing the project, seventy-five percent of which came from public grants."
Storseisundet Bridge - Wikipedia
Some roads are more costly than others. One of the nicest roads I have driven was up to Nørdstedalseter a couple of years ago. We had no idea how far it was or that the road was quite narrow with few places fit for meeting oncoming traffic. We also passed a sign telling us not to stop as falling rocks occurs frequently. Parts of the guard rail was down due to rock slides when we were there. But definitely worth the time and effort.

Of course, it's a dead end road, so we had to return the same way

I found this clip from an MC going up that road.

09-23-2019, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #70525
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

(Not my image)
Yeah, Things like tunnels suspended from pontoons.

09-23-2019, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #70526
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Yeah, Things like tunnels suspended from pontoons.

Mmmyes... I don't think $47bn is very realistic - it will cost more than that. No wonder the engineers are happy

09-23-2019, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #70527
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some roads are more costly than others. One of the nicest roads I have driven was up to Nørdstedalseter a couple of years ago. We had no idea how far it was or that the road was quite narrow with few places fit for meeting oncoming traffic. We also passed a sign telling us not to stop as falling rocks occurs frequently. Parts of the guard rail was down due to rock slides when we were there. But definitely worth the time and effort.

Of course, it's a dead end road, so we had to return the same way

I found this clip from an MC going up that road.

Mountain Road to Nørdstedalseter, Norway July 2014 - YouTube
That is fantastic! It would be fun with the Side by Side
09-23-2019, 01:09 PM - 2 Likes   #70528
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
???
I didn't see any mud puddles.
Beautiful country though!
09-23-2019, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #70529
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
That would be the perfect vehicle for the trip

You can even stay the night at the top. They have cold beer, too. Not that I had any - I had to drive down afterwards
09-23-2019, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #70530
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

???
I didn't see any mud puddles.
Beautiful country though!
No mud (at that time of year, anyway), but the SxS would offer a nice panoramic view!