Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #7096
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Oh yeah, that'll work.
I smell dishonesty!

Of course, it would be $1000 less to spend on a K-3...

03-03-2014, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #7097

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
A Jay wrapped in bacon with a side of okra (fried, please) plus a beer ... that doesn't sound too bad. Sign me up, J (wonder if they taste like quail?)
A story on NPR a while back covered how in the medieval times the French would prepare a kind of pie with a squab in it. Feathers, beak, legs, the whole bird, freshly caught and not dressed out at all. They added some veggies and seasonings and cooked it.

Umm . . . . tasty??

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
WTH? OK, I think we need to take a census & evict the interlopers.
Yeah!

Who are these people? What do they think this is, the K3 forum?

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
I believe everyone proclaiming hate for hocir is secretly trying to get a K-3!
Not I.

I have the *stDL, K10 and now the K5IIs.

Oh, and the 35mm SLR, and the 4x5 Cambo SC.

If I bring another camera into the house Mrs. Racer will not be a happy camper.

Nope. Not gonna get a K3.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
After a walk with the park naturalist, he showed about a bazillion people how to attract Jays and Chickadees by pishing (look it up) with bread crumbs in his hand. SO a week later I'm standing in the middle of the parking lot at one of the birding sites, pishing away with my toast chopped into cute little cubes hoping to get some Jay pictures. Well another birder turns up with a handful of chopped cheese opens up his hand and about 5 jays come flying in out of nowhere, no pishing, no nothing, just instant birds. I also take them chopped toast, nuts and dried fruits... I have a healthy bird diet for them. But the cheese always goes first. I'm guessing the reasons for that are, pretty good fat content, they really need that in the winter, and lots of salt , which is really hard for wild animals to obtain. They eat the other stuff too, but only after all the cheese is gone. Once they discover you're a cheese person, they'll eat the birdie health food you bring too. As for those commercial bird feeds with all that corn and stuff, they leave that stuff on the ground. Sure the birds will eat that food... if they are starving, and there is nothing else.
That is a fascinating story Norm. I am going to have to try it.

The best I could ever do was when this little bird crashed into the side of my sleeper and was laying there dazed and confused.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SGH-A847  Photo 
03-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #7098
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Boy, hociR is gonna be mad.
Not really...burgers with bacon pre-installed was an early hociR innovation that missed wide market adaptation.

Steve

---------- Post added 03-03-14 at 10:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
SnowPocalypse turned into WAY SnowVerdone. Here's my wife's QHouse Photo from yesterday afternoon.
I see you have neglected to shovel the walk. Someone could get killed. HociR will not be pleased.

Steve

---------- Post added 03-03-14 at 10:59 AM ----------

I'm guessing the reasons for that are, pretty good fat content
I would guess that as well. Suet is hardly a natural food for birds, but they sure eat that stuff up too.

Steve

---------- Post added 03-03-14 at 11:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
OMG, I just bought a K-3.
The weather made me do it.
I bet it seemed like a good idea at the time, eh? Well, just wait until the black helicopters show up...the ones with hociR on the tail.

Steve
03-03-2014, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #7099
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, just wait until the black helicopters show up...the ones with hociR on the tail.
Spending all my money on bunker upgrades and supplies! You know cheese, bacon, carbonated drinks, chips and ammo!!That's why I'm not buying a K-3!!
Plus gotta have someplace to hide my sci-fi collection when civilization collapses!

03-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #7100
Site Supporter

A story on NPR a while back covered how in the medieval times the French would prepare a kind of pie with a squab in it. Feathers, beak, legs, the whole bird, freshly caught and not dressed out at all. They added some veggies and seasonings and cooked it. Umm . . . . tasty??

The best I could ever do was when this little bird crashed into the side of my sleeper and was laying there dazed and confused.
Thanks Racer ... I miss NPR; maybe I should seek out their "pod" cast ... and yes, the French will eat anything. And too bad for that lil' birdy ... would have been a nice appetizer (for me) J
03-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #7101

Well, just wait until the black helicopters show up...the ones with hociR on the tail.
The hociR has a tail?

I knew it!
03-03-2014, 01:15 PM   #7102
Veteran Member

I thought in medieval times the French were occupying English castles, calling people names and farting in their general directions!!
Oops! forgot to link it to the French food quote!
03-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #7103
Site Supporter

I thought in medieval times the French were occupying English castles, calling people names and farting in their general directions!!
"Now go away or I will taunt you a second time!" (Emphasis added for an outrageously thick French accent )

Remember the "rabbit" ... ssshhh, but that's hociR herself, and she has a tail ...

03-03-2014, 01:37 PM   #7104
Veteran Member

Remember the "rabbit"
Bring out the holy hand grenade!
03-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #7105

Thanks Racer ... I miss NPR; maybe I should seek out their "pod" cast ... and yes, the French will eat anything. And too bad for that lil' birdy ... would have been a nice appetizer (for me) J
Y'all don't eat squab pie these days do ya?

Oh, and the little sparrow on my finger flew off after a bit. I'm pretty sure it just dazed him some, and after his eyes stopped rolling around in his little bird head he was ready to get back to eating worms and bugs.

Oops! forgot to link it to the French food quote!
The Monty Python version of history always has been better than the one taught in school.
03-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #7106
Loyal Site Supporter

I see you have neglected to shovel the walk. Someone could get killed. HociR will not be pleased.
At the time of the photo we were still under the impression Round 2 of Snowpocalypse was still on the way. I tried to subsitute water softener salt for NaUnobtaniumCl. Neat little pellets but they make a little 1" circle in the ice - then the temperature dropped to -4 and I'm just not going out there.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-03-2014 at 01:47 PM.
03-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #7107
Site Supporter

The Monty Python version of history always has been better than the one taught in school.
They taught history in school?

Steve
03-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #7108
Loyal Site Supporter

Steve
Must've slept through that one!
03-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #7109
Veteran Member

History taught by a hippie was torture!! 1 week on WWI one week on WWII and a whole quarter on the 60's and how the counter culture ended the Vietnam war! (gag)
Even then I smelled an agenda! But that's alright, I went out and studied real history in spite of him!!
03-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #7110
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
After a walk with the park naturalist, he showed about a bazillion people how to attract Jays and Chickadees by pishing (look it up) with bread crumbs in his hand. SO a week later I'm standing in the middle of the parking lot at one of the birding sites, pishing away with my toast chopped into cute little cubes hoping to get some Jay pictures. Well another birder turns up with a handful of chopped cheese opens up his hand and about 5 jays come flying in out of nowhere, no pishing, no nothing, just instant birds. I also take them chopped toast, nuts and dried fruits... I have a healthy bird diet for them. But the cheese always goes first. I'm guessing the reasons for that are, pretty good fat content, they really need that in the winter, and lots of salt , which is really hard for wild animals to obtain. They eat the other stuff too, but only after all the cheese is gone. Once they discover you're a cheese person, they'll eat the birdie health food you bring too. As for those commercial bird feeds with all that corn and stuff, they leave that stuff on the ground. Sure the birds will eat that food... if they are starving, and there is nothing else.
You guys know about peanut butter balls and corn cob feeders, right? I'm not surprised they like cheese. Birds love peanut butter balls and corn cobs smeared with it. Again, a high fat food. You want a bird party? You take bird seed and you roll a big ball of peanut butter that you've put into the fridge to harden it enough to work with in it. Then you poke a hole through the middle and put a string through it and hang it outside in the trees. You can do the same thing with corn, just take the husk and string off, let it dry out a little, cover it with peanut butter and bird seed and hang them outside. They love sunflower seeds and raisins a lot too so what I do sometimes is mix those up and add those to the mix. I put up milk jugs for them in the winter too. I just cut a big enough hole for small birds to get in and fill it up, hang it. But you have to be careful to make the hole too small for big birds and squirrels or they'll rob the feeders blind and the little birds will get none.