Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2019, 03:14 AM - 2 Likes   #72511
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
UPS just brought my Bisto, so I'm out of here for the night, time to make gravy before the sun shines.
Later y'all!
Edit, a small sample tasted darn good. I think it will be great to add to stock juice from a roast.
I wonder how close it will be to Greasy Granny’s Gopher Gravy?

11-28-2019, 03:29 AM   #72512
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Bisto is a good quick "go to" but it's a stop gap measure at best. A good stock will make a nice gravy without need of Bisto or any such cornstarch additives. And it all gets better when you toss in a cup of wine!
It's the time-consuming nature of making a reduction that puts me off... I'll do it occasionally, and I agree that it's better, but it takes time and I generally find I don't end up with enough of it to go around (maybe I'm doing it wrong). Bisto on its own is OK... Bisto with stock and/or as many meat juices as you can collect is - to my taste buds, at least - lovely...

Are you packed and ready for your trip, Mark?
11-28-2019, 04:33 AM - 4 Likes   #72513
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Happy Thanksgiving. {To those of us in the US, of course.}

11-28-2019, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #72514
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's the time-consuming nature of making a reduction that puts me off...
Anything worthwhile is never easy to achieve. One must be willing to put in the extra effort and time to net the best result.

Willin.

11-28-2019, 05:06 AM - 2 Likes   #72515
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Anything worthwhile is never easy to achieve. One must be willing to put in the extra effort and time to net the best result.
Quite so. And yet, just as the laziest solution rarely brings the greatest satisfaction, the constant pursuit of excellence and perfection can be tiresome and counter-productive. Often-times, a middle ground "good enough" is... well, good enough.

I wouldn't expect a $100 dinner to be accompanied by gravy made from Bisto. But I'm perfectly happy to use it for a casual family lunch or dinner at home. The result is... good enough
11-28-2019, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #72516
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Good morning gang, Happy Thanksgiving Eve to my fellow Americans!

Sunny, 49F, and wind gusts have been up to 60 mph.
Some tree branches down, and lots of leaves from neighbor's pin oak in our yard, after we had a guy do our ton of maple leaves on Monday.

Turkey Day again.

And all the turkeys (I do really mean the things with feathers and baldy heads that make Mrs Tim afraid to eat turkey) at the White House need only appeal their conviction for whatever it was that got them into captivity there, and the court is sure to make their appeals take so long to hear that, with the relatively short life-span of turkeys, the hearing of their appeals will take so long that they will have died of old age before the appeal process is exhausted, and all of them will be saved, not just the ONE of them that the tradition of Presidential Pardon saves.
11-28-2019, 05:24 AM - 2 Likes   #72517
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, I forgot it was Thanksgiving Day in the US.

Have a wonderful time, folks, whoever you're with, whatever you're doing and whatever you're eating and drinking. May your day be filled with even more to be thankful for
11-28-2019, 05:24 AM - 5 Likes   #72518
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Another good saying: what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
There's one more possibility.

What doesn't kill you may still maim you for life.

11-28-2019, 05:25 AM - 3 Likes   #72519
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Best of luck with it, Mark... and if it hurts too much, just ease off. That's what I always do I'd do Is there a cold beer at the end of it? Just keep that in mind while you're peddling your heart out...
There would be if I were doing the cycling; the trip would end the moment I encountered a cold beer.
11-28-2019, 05:33 AM - 2 Likes   #72520
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Turkey Day again.

And all the turkeys (I do really mean the things with feathers and baldy heads that make Mrs Tim afraid to eat turkey) at the White House need only appeal their conviction for whatever it was that got them into captivity there, and the court is sure to make their appeals take so long to hear that, with the relatively short life-span of turkeys, the hearing of their appeals will take so long that they will have died of old age before the appeal process is exhausted, and all of them will be saved, not just the ONE of them that the tradition of Presidential Pardon saves.
Oh, there are turkeys there, but they don't have feathers.
11-28-2019, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #72521
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

Having passed 63 years last August, I can say that both of Bert's mantras are helpful for me. I won't bore all of you with the details about all that ails my aging frame, but suffice to say that pain is a daily way of life, and having the right attitude about it helps me through each and every day.
I mostly get away with chronic aches interspersed with pains. But yes, the right attitiude is the way. Not necessarily an easy way, but still the right way.

The Serenity Prayer is a good guide, whether you choose to involve a deity or not is up to you. I think the hardest part is the "wisdom to know the difference".
11-28-2019, 05:42 AM - 6 Likes   #72522
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

By the way, we aren't having a traditional Thanksgiving feast today. No, since Mrs. Racer's son and his wife moved to Hawaii, her Daughter and her husband moved to Floriduh, her younger sister moved to Spokane, her brother is away in South Carolina spending the holiday with his daughter and her husband, her older sister is about a hundred miles away, my sister and her husband are in Sacramento, and my mom is playing snowbird somewhere in the desert Southwest, it is just us two. So she is fixing a roast beast, having marinated it for a couple of days. Some smashed taters, veggies of some ilk, and apple pie made from the apples off of our tree in the garden, we will have a delightful repast that will certainly please the palette.

We did invite a neighbor to join us, as he is single, and has no relatives in this state. He graciously accepted, and will be bringing a case of Stella Artois to wash down all the culinary delight that Mrs. Racer will be preparing.

It should be a great day of eating and resting.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 11-29-2019 at 10:18 AM.
11-28-2019, 06:31 AM - 4 Likes   #72523
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

By the way, we aren't having a traditional Thanksgiving feast today. No, since Mrs. Racer's son and his wife moved to Hawaii, her Daughter and her husband moved to Floriduh, her younger sister moved to Spokane, her brother is away in South Carolina spending the holiday with his daughter and her husband, her older sister is about a hundred miles away, my sister and her husband are in Sacramento, and my mom is playing snowbird somewhere in the desert Southwest, it is just us two. So she is fixing a roast beast, having marinated it for a couple of days. Some smashed taters, veggies of some ilk, and apple pie made from the apples off of our tree in the garden, we will have a delightful repast that will certainly please the palette.

We did invite a neighbor to join us, as he is single, and has no relatives in this state. He graciously accepted, and will be bringing a case of Stella Artois to wash all the culinary delight that Mrs. Racer will be preparing.

It should be a great day of eating and resting.
That sounds perfect. And very good of you to invite your neighbour... I'm sure he appreciates it immensely.

My cousin got divorced earlier this year, and though we see him regularly anyway, we've invited him to enjoy Christmas Day with us, stay overnight and then spend Boxing Day here too - or as long as he wants, really. I always enjoyed my own company after I got divorced, but Christmas isn't a time to be alone unless you really like it that way. I'd guess Thanksgiving is much the same...
11-28-2019, 08:11 AM   #72524
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
There's one more possibility.

What doesn't kill you may still maim you for life.
Well, yes, there's that too.
11-28-2019, 08:18 AM - 2 Likes   #72525
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, even if you're not in the USA it never hurts be be thankful.
One of the many things I'm thankful for is the friendship found here, and that you put up with me.

Stella Artois
No White Russians for The Dude today, eh?