Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2019, 09:52 AM - 2 Likes   #72541
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Might take more than two, as they are quite small.

Probably about 4 dozen, eh?
Maybe Tom turkey eggs would be better.
Sorry I missed gong to this yesterday, need to set a reminder for next year.
Turkey Testicle Festival | Enjoy Illinois

11-28-2019, 09:54 AM - 3 Likes   #72542
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Your bread sounds great Mike, but gotta ask, can rooster's eggs be substituted?
Sure, why not? And you could substitute the chopped walnuts with hen's teeth for extra crunch
11-28-2019, 10:11 AM - 3 Likes   #72543
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
See, now... though I'm relieved and gladdened you're OK, and I wouldn't wish any danger upon you, this is precisely the sort of adventure I was hoping to hear. You can't just disappear from the forums for months and then return, as if nothing were amiss, without a darned good tale or two. There are rules, and there's a cost. But I think this counts as an awfully good first payment

Looking forward to further details as the discussion progresses...

(Aside from hypothermia, were you uninjured? If so, you were - for want of a better term - extremely fortunate )
Glad you enjoyed the story, caused by my troubles.

At the time of the accident, my lower leg was not weight bearing, so we thought it was broken. Luckily, it was just a crushed calf which I limped around on for two weeks. They kept me in the hospital overnight, despite my protests, on an IV drip as well. All in all, I was pretty darned lucky. We went to the canoe the next day, but it had been warm out, so the boat was fully submerged. Eventually we got it out a few weeks later, had a few dents in the sides, but they popped out with a heat gun, good ol' Royalex. And we were down a good few paddles and my phone.
11-28-2019, 10:12 AM - 2 Likes   #72544
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
It is good that you made it past that test of your mettle, Bert, and are able to relate your harrowing experience.

Indeed, the currents can be strong, and the waters frigid in the Northwet. I have kayaked the river I live on many times, and have been fortunate to have not fallen victim to the currents and detritus that remains from the winter floods. Mrs, Racer has taken a dip once, somewhat like yours, although she was not pinned and was able to get back to shore easily. Also my niece went in once, in one of the larger rapids, after maneuvering in a manner that she had been advised against. She popped up out of the water, and although the current is strong, she was able to stand up and walk to shore, and I retrieved her kayak for her.

Me?

Well, as I mentioned, the river has never bitten me. But twice, while getting into my kayak at a nearby lake, I stepped in incorrectly and was flipped into the water. Nothing hurt but my pride though, and both times I was quickly seated and happily paddling about the lake.
The force of nature shouldn't be taken lightly. Whitewater paddling requires full attention all the time.

11-28-2019, 10:14 AM - 4 Likes   #72545
Veteran Member

Dang Bert, that gave me chills just reading it. So glad you're here with us to tell the story.
Post a (one) bagpipe video if you'd like, you deserve at least that from me.
Bob, are you okay? Need an ambulance called?

I'll give you a chance to back out from allowing that, but if you still insist on a bagpipe video, I've got one you'd all enjoy (starring myself).
11-28-2019, 10:15 AM   #72546
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Bob, are you okay? Need an ambulance called?

I'll give you a chance to back out from allowing that, but if you still insist on a bagpipe video, I've got one you'd all enjoy (starring myself).
Welcome back!

Since 'Racer' and robtcorl don't like to "pollute" this thread with talk of contests, I haven't posted here in over a year, but for you I'll make this one exception. According to my count, you need around 20 posts in each of the next three days to enter the 'raffle' for a KP. Most people, I would discourage from such an effort, but I know you can do it, and I'd recommend that you do so. I purchased a KP for myself last Black Friday, and it it such an improvement on the K-50 you are still using that I would encourage you to try for one.
11-28-2019, 10:15 AM   #72547
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
True. Although, getting that helicopter ride might well be the thing that can get you unscrewed - as you now know.
Yep, lucky to live in a place with highly trained and quick SAR.

11-28-2019, 10:17 AM - 3 Likes   #72548
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
Jeez Bert, be careful out there
Careful is not my middle name.
11-28-2019, 10:20 AM - 3 Likes   #72549
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Welcome back!

Since 'Racer' and robtcorl don't like to "pollute" this thread with talk of contests, I haven't posted here in over a year, but for you I'll make this one exception. According to my count, you need around 20 posts in each of the next three days to enter the 'raffle' for a KP. Most people, I would discourage from such an effort, but I know you can do it, and I'd recommend that you do so. I purchased a KP for myself last Black Friday, and it it such an improvement on the K-50 you are still using that I would encourage you to try for one.

I didn't even realise that there was a raffle until I had something pop up telling me to enter in a 'general thread'. Maybe I should have come back a bit sooner to give me more time.
Anyways, I'm happy with the K-50 right now, I lost interest in photography for quite a while, nearly sold my stuff as well. But I went out today with the 21 Ltd and had fun. Definitely my favourite lens, and was considering keeping only it, but today am now reconsidering and will keep all my current stuff as it's fun to change it up occasionally.

Oops, sorry for the photo talk...

BACON
11-28-2019, 10:42 AM - 2 Likes   #72550
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No backing out, if you're in it, we have to see it!
11-28-2019, 10:59 AM - 3 Likes   #72551
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

... and hear it?

Oh, go on then...
11-28-2019, 11:16 AM - 7 Likes   #72552
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
... and hear it?

Oh, go on then...
Oh, alright, if you insist

11-28-2019, 11:39 AM - 3 Likes   #72553
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, alright, if you insist

Telepiping - YouTube
Awesome! Skiing whilst playing bagpipes... what could possibly go wrong?
11-28-2019, 11:43 AM - 3 Likes   #72554
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmmm... well, my banana bread came out rather over-cooked on the outside Can't think why... I'm sure I baked it at the same temperature and for the same amount of time as previously. Maybe the higher banana content caramelised? Still, it tastes a lot better than it looks. Not my most elegant creation, but it's delicious
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-FZ62  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-FZ62  Photo 
11-28-2019, 11:49 AM - 3 Likes   #72555
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like no one beat me to it, so here it is, in full 4 part harmony.