Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2019, 03:45 PM - 3 Likes   #73606
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Time flies
Tell me about! Five years ago today Mrs Bob and I were at our son and daughter-in-laws wedding.
We've gained a bonus Bobby since then.

12-12-2019, 03:55 PM - 3 Likes   #73607
Veteran Member

Otis, this one's for you, buddy!

12-12-2019, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #73608
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Yep, we have that here, too. One of them, Rjukan of "Heroes of Telemark" fame, has put up sun mirrors to reflect the sun into the town - and have cable cars going up to bring people up into the light from time to time. I have been there several times - not a place I could live.

Norway town lit up with giant solar mirrors - YouTube
Neat, using mirrors.

Good movie as well.
12-12-2019, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #73609
Veteran Member

Please let's not go down the alarmist warming wormhole in this thread. Snow (and ice) cover on Kilimanjaro is seasonal and highly variable. The 2018 photos don't lie.
I'm going to disagree (and agree) with you Mark. Snow is variable, yes. Permanent ice (glaciers) are not variable to that extent, hence being called permanent. Your photos are the tail end of winter, so winter ice and snow still remains.

12-12-2019, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #73610
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I have an early morning coming up too as I have meetings in the big city tomorrow. Good might all.
12-12-2019, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #73611
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Well I have an early morning coming up too as I have meetings in the big city tomorrow. Good might all.
Good might!
12-12-2019, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #73612
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Measured trend. Yes, they do have snow there from time to time. That doesn't stop the glacier from shrinking.
There was shrinkage?

12-12-2019, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #73613
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I'm going to disagree (and agree) with you Mark. Snow is variable, yes. Permanent ice (glaciers) are not variable to that extent, hence being called permanent. Your photos are the tail end of winter, so winter ice and snow still remains.
My comments were not in response to glaciers retreating, but to this photo which attempts to show a reduction in snow:

As the 2018 photo shows, this photo above proves nothing.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 12-12-2019 at 07:44 PM.
12-12-2019, 07:48 PM   #73614
Veteran Member

My comments were not in response to glaciers retreating (or not), but to this photo which attempts to show a reduction in snow:
I see. I was talking about the retreat of glaciers, the amount of snowfall through the winter months may not be dramatically changed.

As the 2018 photo shows, this photo above proves nothing.
Just wondering, are you saying the earlier photo (which Savoche shared) is faked...?
12-12-2019, 07:53 PM   #73615
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I see. I was talking about the retreat of glaciers, the amount of snowfall through the winter months may not be dramatically changed.

Just wondering, are you saying the earlier photo (which Savoche shared) is faked...?
No, I'm saying that snowfall is both seasonal and highly variable from year to year. That group of photos appear to have been arranged to imply that there has been a substantial reduction in snowfall from 1912 until more recently, while there are, naturally, high snowfall years and low snowfall years, as the 2018 photos show. In fact, 2019 is also proving to be a good snowfall year.
12-12-2019, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #73616
Veteran Member

No, I'm saying that snowfall is both seasonal and highly variable from year to year. That group of photos appear to have been arranged to imply that there has been a substantial reduction in snowfall from 1912 until more recently, while there are, naturally, high snowfall years and low snowfall years, as the 2018 photos show. In fact, 2019 is also proving to be a good snowfall year.
Ah, I see. We were talking of different things, permanent glacial ice vs snowpack. I think the image (which Savoche shared) is misleading by saying "average snow area" when it should say the area of the glacier (as those figures pretty much check out while doing some quick searching). My original point (how many pages back now...?) was that the amount of permanent glacial ice was decreasing rapidly, and Savoche used that image to agree. It was probably a poor choice of image on his part due to the wording within it, and I'm sure he'll humbly agree to that... Coming from a country with numerous glaciers and heavy snowpack, I am well aware that different years yield different amounts of snow and are not correlated to the decrease of glacial ice. So we can agree that the glacier atop Kilimanjaro is decreasing in size and will soon be non-existent?
12-12-2019, 08:13 PM - 3 Likes   #73617
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
On the wall of the building, behind and to the right of the news man, looks like a picture of a bacon, lettuce and tomato sammich!
All this talk about shrinkage and not one of you noticed the BLT picture in the video that Savoche posted.

Are we not bacon?

Well?

Dammit men!
12-12-2019, 08:14 PM - 2 Likes   #73618
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, I see. We were talking of different things, permanent glacial ice vs snowpack. I think the image (which Savoche shared) is misleading by saying "average snow area" when it should say the area of the glacier (as those figures pretty much check out while doing some quick searching). My original point (how many pages back now...?) was that the amount of permanent glacial ice was decreasing rapidly, and Savoche used that image to agree. It was probably a poor choice of image on his part due to the wording within it, and I'm sure he'll humbly agree to that... Coming from a country with numerous glaciers and heavy snowpack, I am well aware that different years yield different amounts of snow and are not correlated to the decrease of glacial ice. So we can agree that the glacier atop Kilimanjaro is decreasing in size and will soon be non-existent?
Well, the glacier is 11,700 years old. It's been decreasing in size for a very, very long time. (We are coming out of an Ice Age after all.) The evidence seems to suggest that it's rate of shrinkage has increased. Now, as to the cause of that increase in rate of shrinkage: That's where it gets interesting. And I'll need to write an essay, so I'll pass.
12-12-2019, 08:16 PM - 2 Likes   #73619
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
All this talk about shrinkage and not one of you noticed the BLT picture in the video that Savoche posted.

Are we not bacon?

Well?

Dammit men!
Bacon is and bacon will be.
12-12-2019, 08:17 PM   #73620
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, the glacier is 11,700 years old. It's been decreasing in size for a very, very long time. (We are coming out of an Ice Age after all.) The evidence seems to suggest that it's rate of shrinkage has increased. Now, as to the cause of that increase in rate of shrinkage: That's where it gets interesting. And I'll need to write an essay, so I'll pass.
11,700 years.

That's a lot of birthdays.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »