Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2019, 12:37 PM - 3 Likes   #73636
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I'm sure the suspense is killing you guys, the results were:
After about 5 hours the slice was a bit dried out, and a very slight tan color. Brooke gave me a wink after I tossed it to her.
Thank goodness. I can breathe again.

12-13-2019, 02:03 PM - 3 Likes   #73637
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well the ice used to be about a mile (1.6 km) think where I live. Some experts think that it took only about 20 years for all the ice to melt and retreat from New York State. If so, that is a lot faster rate of shrinkage than we are seeing now. The climate was warmer 1,000 years ago than it is now. Where were the glaciers then and how much did they advance during the mini ice age? Not sure what it all means, but the climate on this planet has never been stable over any length of time. As the planet wobbles it greatly changes the climate. During one phase of the wobble, the Sahara gets monsoons. At another point (now) it is arid. Not sure how all that rain falling there affects rainfall in other areas.

We are heading into a grand solar minimum where energy output form the sun will drop over the next 30 to 40 years. We had one of our earliest heavy snowfalls ever this year and I know the farmers in the plains of Canada got hit with and early winter too. I live across the street from one of the local TV meteorologists. When I talk to him about climate change he says that he is having enough trouble trying to predict the weather 4 days out and is thankful that he is not a climatologist.
12-13-2019, 03:03 PM - 2 Likes   #73638
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aye, it's a very complex system that is in a constant state of flux. Orbital wobbles, solar output variations, all of those factors come into play. However, the vast preponderance of evidence for past changes shows that transitions from hotter to cooler and back, took place over much longer timescales. Yes, certain events like the Maunder Minimum may have happened more quickly, but those were generally regional effects, not necessarily global. When a change takes place over centuries, ecosystems have time to adapt to the changes (migration of species geographically over time, to stay in their preferred climatic zones). When changes take place over decades, and humans have disrupted things already by building cities and roads and suchlike (across the old migration corridors, no less), they just cannot adapt fast enough.

Any dips in solar output will be overshadowed by the impact of all the CO2 we continue to pour into the air.

And I'm afraid your early snowfall falls exactly in line with the predictions of a warming planet. Adding energy to the system in the form of trapped heat, affects the atmospheric circulation patterns, up to and including the jet streams. More energy in the system leads to greater variation in circulation patterns. More variability there, leads to greater extremes on both ends. More big winter storms, more big summer heat waves, shifting rainfall patterns leading to droughts and floods, warmer seas generating bigger hurricanes, etc. At short time scales, weather is chaotic (so yeah, predictions beyond 4 days will always be challenging). At longer time scales, the noise in the signal (i.e. 'weather') smoothes out and shows the trends. Those trends are climate, and they are predictable. The predictions get more accurate as the models improve, as they add new factors affecting change. Stuff like new findings on how ice melts, the shape of the land under the Antarctic ice sheets, physics of the atmosphere, etc etc ad nauseum...
12-13-2019, 03:28 PM - 2 Likes   #73639
Veteran Member

In other news, I bought a pork belly today at Costco.
Guess you boils and goils know what that means, coming soon, homemade bacon to save the planet!

Last edited by robtcorl; 12-13-2019 at 03:40 PM.
12-13-2019, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #73640
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Well I don't like to pop in and then run, but I'm working tomorrow, and Sunday, so time for some beauty rest.

Say goodnight Gracie.
12-13-2019, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #73641
Pentaxian

Goodnight, Gracie!
12-13-2019, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #73642
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Well I don't like to pop in and then run, but I'm working tomorrow, and Sunday, so time for some beauty rest.

Say goodnight Gracie.
Goodnight, Work Whore!

12-14-2019, 08:25 AM - 4 Likes   #73643
Veteran Member

Guess I'm the only one to survive Friday the 13th.
Bacon got me through it.

12-14-2019, 09:01 AM - 3 Likes   #73644
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Guess I'm the only one to survive Friday the 13th.
Nah, I survived. But I did get a phone call from a colleague at 3am this "morning", ended up spending 3 hours verifying that the problem wasn't on my servers, then tried to get some more sleep before the next stage of his database migration and more checks. I don't like working nights, and I most definitely don't like having to kick my brain into gear after only three hours of sleep

Besides, Saturdays are not supposed to be work days. Eh, Bob?
12-14-2019, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #73645
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Not unless you're a work whore, like someone we know.
12-14-2019, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #73646
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Sure.

Except at The Big Shed.

Just finishing first break.

Back to work.
12-14-2019, 09:34 AM - 2 Likes   #73647
Pentaxian

After seventy three thousand posts this thread has unraveled completely.

All I have to say is that K3 prices have dropped to the point where I just might buy one.
12-14-2019, 09:55 AM - 2 Likes   #73648
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tonight we have neighbours in for dinner - turkey crown, roast potatoes, carrots, sprouts, cranberry and orange sauce, stuffing. Best of all, the turkey is roasted topped with bacon. There, that’s us back on track!
12-14-2019, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #73649
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Not unless you're a work whore, like someone we know.
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Sure.

Except at The Big Shed.

Just finishing first break.

Back to work.
No further comments needed, I think...
12-14-2019, 10:39 AM - 2 Likes   #73650
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
After seventy three thousand posts this thread has unraveled completely.
Say what? Where?

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
All I have to say is that K3 prices have dropped to the point where I just might buy one.
Say what?!

Tokyo is doomed