Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2020, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #74866
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Thursday afternoon is the beginning of drinking the MoviPrep, followed by my imitation of the Saturn V rocket onthe launch pad.
Try not to bump your head on the Moon on your way up.

01-12-2020, 10:51 AM - 3 Likes   #74867
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
But the 357 will not stop a charging bear, unlikely for first shot to kill, and if it did, momentum. Bear spray almost always stops bears dead in their tracks.
Just as a .458 Winchester Magnum won't stop an elephant. Or as our guide put it: "It will kill it but not stop it. That's why we went behind the tree. The tree will stop it."

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Maybe not a grizzly bear. Sure would make him mad though.

The bears we have here? One shot, maybe two, well placed should make them lie down.
A few years ago a group of international visitors got attacked by a polar bear on the island of Spitsbergen (in the Svalbard group at around 80°N). They were armed, as is obligatory when you leave the settlements, but they were armed with - wait for it - with a .22 handgun

Yeah, they did manage to make the bear properly mad, and yeah, it did kill the idiot with the gun.

Darwin wins again.
01-12-2020, 10:54 AM   #74868
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Why is that bear wearing your underwear?

And I knew Canada is the cleanest country on the planet, but I did not know that you have trained your bears to use the outhouse. I really didn't.
Sigh.

01-12-2020, 11:06 AM   #74869
Veteran Member

Just as a .458 Winchester Magnum won't stop an elephant. Or as our guide put it: "It will kill it but not stop it. That's why we went behind the tree. The tree will stop it."

A few years ago a group of international visitors got attacked by a polar bear on the island of Spitsbergen (in the Svalbard group at around 80°N). They were armed, as is obligatory when you leave the settlements, but they were armed with - wait for it - with a .22 handgun

Yeah, they did manage to make the bear properly mad, and yeah, it did kill the idiot with the gun.

Darwin wins again.

Though many animals will eat people, polar bears are the only animals that will actively stalk and hunt humans. And I will not take my chance against a 1500 lb bear with a .22 handgun. Now, it could be killed with a well placed .22LR behind the ear, but I wouldn't be taking my chances with one of those.

01-12-2020, 11:13 AM - 3 Likes   #74870
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Ditto! The worst we see are the occasional wandering badger or hedgehog.
You shouldn't take so lightly on the badger

01-12-2020, 11:15 AM - 3 Likes   #74871
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Whoa!

01-12-2020, 11:16 AM - 3 Likes   #74872
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Sigh.

The resident smartass shouldn't leave himself open like that

01-12-2020, 11:21 AM - 2 Likes   #74873
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Though many animals will eat people, polar bears are the only animals that will actively stalk and hunt humans. And I will not take my chance against a 1500 lb bear with a .22 handgun. Now, it could be killed with a well placed .22LR behind the ear, but I wouldn't be taking my chances with one of those.
Yeah, with no natural enimies its instinct says "anything that moves is food - as are most things that don't".

And yes, you need to be pretty good to precisely place a .22 behind a charging polar bear's ear. From the front? Nah, I wouldn't want to try.
01-12-2020, 12:57 PM   #74874
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
And then she sits on it's head.

And then it looks like she urinates on it.
01-12-2020, 01:27 PM - 4 Likes   #74875
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The resident smartass shouldn't leave himself open like that
Did his skirt blow open again?
01-12-2020, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #74876
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's a stone along the A9 up in the north marking where the last wolf was shot. Though I imagine quite a few have claimed they have shot the last wolf.
Only those who've partaken too freely of Uisge Beatha – the last wolf was killed around 1680, as marked by that stone at Killiecrankie. Others have reported seeing a wolf in more recent times, but they've been at the Laphroig too. Hic.
01-12-2020, 02:21 PM   #74877
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wolves have stalked and attacked humans. A few years ago the remains of a hiker in Canada were found and it was evident from the tracks in the snow what had happened. A young up and coming folk singer in Canada was killed by coyotes a few years ago. Black bears have done the same as well as grizzlies. North of Albany, NY a women in her cabin was killed and party eaten by a black bear that had crashed through her front door and killed her.

During the Lewis and Clark Expedition their notebooks mention how much they were looking forward to a meeting with a grizzly bear. Back then they also inhabited the Great Plains too. After several encounters they mention that they have seen enough of them and have no desire to see anymore of them. They have seen enough that all the stories they had heard of them were true.

There is now a coyote, red wolf mixed breed that is causing concern. They run anywhere between 75 and 100 pounds (34 to 45 kg) and have been known to attack people and even try carry off small children.
01-12-2020, 06:49 PM   #74878
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Did his skirt blow open again?
Long story...
01-12-2020, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #74879
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Only those who've partaken too freely of Uisge Beatha – the last wolf was killed around 1680, as marked by that stone at Killiecrankie. Others have reported seeing a wolf in more recent times, but they've been at the Laphroig too. Hic.
Maybe that's the last recorded one, but there is a wee plaque somewhere up the A9. Really could easily have been another one killed after, impossible to know really. But we could just say that the last one was shot on the braes o' Killiecrankie-oh!

01-12-2020, 06:55 PM   #74880
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Wolves have stalked and attacked humans. A few years ago the remains of a hiker in Canada were found and it was evident from the tracks in the snow what had happened. A young up and coming folk singer in Canada was killed by coyotes a few years ago. Black bears have done the same as well as grizzlies. North of Albany, NY a women in her cabin was killed and party eaten by a black bear that had crashed through her front door and killed her.

During the Lewis and Clark Expedition their notebooks mention how much they were looking forward to a meeting with a grizzly bear. Back then they also inhabited the Great Plains too. After several encounters they mention that they have seen enough of them and have no desire to see anymore of them. They have seen enough that all the stories they had heard of them were true.

There is now a coyote, red wolf mixed breed that is causing concern. They run anywhere between 75 and 100 pounds (34 to 45 kg) and have been known to attack people and even try carry off small children.
There are many animals that have eaten people, though most see people differently than other animals. The thing with polar bears is that they are so distanced from civilisation that they don't see humans as different - just as food. Though Russia does sometimes have trouble with wolves wanting to snack on people.