Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #7486
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
It is an anagram. "Victor" when unscrambled becomes "Ricto V" which is the name of a Malasian Corporation poised to take over hociR. Currently Ricto V manufactures bait packages tailored to the tastes of Komodo dragons. These bait packs are sold by the ton to NatGeo.
This makes so much more sense to me now.

03-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #7487
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I know where to buy durian locally. I want to get one, break it open, and leave it near a freind's place as a prank.
When I lived in Paris, we would go to Chinatown area (rue de Choisy) in the 13th district and they would have open durian on fruit/food stands ... alway gave a widest berth possible and usually smelled them before seeing them out on the sidewalks if the wind as right ... J

---------- Post added 03-12-14 at 21:03 ----------

Bingo ... page 500 !!!
03-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #7488

For our illustrious m0dErAt0r:

QuoteQuote:
South Dakota

The world's fastest ever recorded change in temperature happened in this state, when it got 49 degrees hotter in just two minutes.

On January 22, 1943, the temperature in Spearfish changed from -4 degrees Fahrenheit to 45 degrees in two minutes, making it the world record holder for fastest temperature change. Later in the day, after the town heated up a bit more, the temperature dropped back to -4 degrees, causing windows to crack.
Enough to cause hociR to recoil and run for cover.
03-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #7489
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Quote:
South Dakota

The world's fastest ever recorded change in temperature happened in this state, when it got 49 degrees hotter in just two minutes.

On January 22, 1943, the temperature in Spearfish changed from -4 degrees Fahrenheit to 45 degrees in two minutes, making it the world record holder for fastest temperature change. Later in the day, after the town heated up a bit more, the temperature dropped back to -4 degrees, causing windows to crack.
Yep, and people think I'm kidding when I talk about our weather. S.D. also holds the Guinness record for the largest hailstone. It fell about 30 miles South of here. One year, a few years back on a particular February day, Pierre was the coldest city in the nation. That same year, one day in July, we were the hottest city in the nation. You've probably driven through here enough to know that the way I describe our weather isn't hyperbole. (well, except for the "only 3 nice days a year" part)

03-12-2014, 01:43 PM   #7490

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You've probably driven through here enough to know that the way I describe our weather isn't hyperbole. (well, except for the "only 3 nice days a year" part)
Indeed I have. In the 5 years I have been trucking, I have traveled over a half a million miles, been to all of the lower 48, and 6 Canadian provinces.

In all those miles I have traveled through Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota more than all the others. My trips always begin and end in Washington, and deliveries have ranged throughout most (but not all) of the locations mentioned, but I have only delivered in South Dakota twice, once in Rapid City and once in Sioux Falls, and never picked up a load there.

Stranger than fiction.
03-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #7491
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Stranger than fiction.
Or to quote a standard line from Hee Haw: "Truth is stranger than fact"
03-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #7492

Or to quote a standard line from Hee Haw: "Truth is stranger than fact"
So true.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Bingo ... page 500 !!!
Woot! Woot!

Jean wins the Daily Double!

03-12-2014, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #7493
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow...sneaking up on 7500 posts as well.

Not buying a K-3 is fast becoming the most popular non-activity ever!!

03-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #7494
Site Supporter

Yep, and people think I'm kidding when I talk about our weather. S.D. also holds the Guinness record for the largest hailstone. It fell about 30 miles South of here. One year, a few years back on a particular February day, Pierre was the coldest city in the nation. That same year, one day in July, we were the hottest city in the nation. You've probably driven through here enough to know that the way I describe our weather isn't hyperbole. (well, except for the "only 3 nice days a year" part)
You may have missed the Armistice Day Blizzard of 1947 in Minnesota. Duck hunters in tee shirts were frozen dead, temps went from around 50 and sunny to -20 in a few hours. We are talking seventy degrees of changed temp. Not nice. This storm was epic and still remembered here.
03-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #7495
Pentaxian

Well, I best put in a post and nudge it closer to 7500! But I won't be getting a K-3 (gotta save those pennies for cruise excursions and whatever lesser K-something I decide I can afford)

Jim
03-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #7496
Loyal Site Supporter

Drove through South Dakota on I90 last June. Stopped at a Taco Bell in Spearfish and saw Olympic Gold Medalist, Greco Roman wrestler Rulon Gardner there. I guess there is a lot going on there. Between the Black Hills, (almost got our car crushed by to sparring male bison in Custer Sate Park), Badlands National Park and Cabela's, South Dakota has it all.
03-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #7497
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Drove through South Dakota on I90 last June. Stopped at a Taco Bell in Spearfish and saw Olympic Gold Medalist, Greco Roman wrestler Rulon Gardner there. I guess there is a lot going on there. Between the Black Hills, (almost got our car crushed by to sparring male bison in Custer Sate Park), Badlands National Park and Cabela's, South Dakota has it all.
And there are a lot of ducks and pheasants!
03-12-2014, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #7498
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

Years ago, I took family #1 on a tour of SD from Winnipeg. We did get up close and personal with one big bull bison who felt that our car was interfering with him and his harem. Just stood in the middle of the road glaring at us until the gals were a safe distance in the brush. I did NOT have the kids get out for a photo op. Got a duck too. Poor little female Mallard all tangled-up in a roadside, barbed-wire fence. Mangled wing. We put it in a box in the car and Daddy had to explain that we'd take it to a duck Doctor. Son-of-a-gun, but ten miles on, big sign said Wildfowl Hospital. Filled with duck Doctors. They were treating birds with lead poisoning as a result of the birds bottom feeding in sloughs where a lot of the hunting was done with the old lead shot. Kids were real proud of their resourceful Dad.
Great tornadoes down there too. Love the way they can pick up an itty-bitty power-line pylons and deposit them several miles away.
03-12-2014, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #7499
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And Wall Drug!!!!
03-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #7500
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

After living in South Dakota for over 35 years I still enjoy Wall Drug. We stop there 4 or 5 times a year. It's a really unique place.
I don't think it's official, but I swear they have the best cake doughnuts in the world.

Last edited by Parallax; 03-12-2014 at 04:22 PM.