Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #7576
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
DPReview, minion of nokiN and nonaC has yet to pronounce words on the K-3 and without its blessing, I can never buy...that and for fear of the hociR!

Steve

---------- Post added 03-14-14 at 05:30 PM ----------

Nope...

Steve
Fair enough.

---------- Post added 03-14-14 at 08:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Cool. I inherited a twenty ton mechanical railroad track jack. Low foot and top pad, about 24" high, 6" to the foot. Simplex brand. Not sure what to use it for, currently looking for abandoned railroad trackage because his thing will lift a rail and pull the spikes. No Vegimite needed.
Could it be made into a "Super Duper" can/K3 crusher. Or donate it to a rail-road museum.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 03-14-2014 at 05:45 PM.
03-14-2014, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #7577
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Fair enough.

---------- Post added 03-14-14 at 08:43 PM ----------

Could it be made into a "Super Duper" can/K3 crusher. Or donate it to a rail-road museum.
Can crusher between the top pad and the Interstate bridge! Must be cautious not to shift bridge off piers.
03-14-2014, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #7578
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Last weekend, I was in Iqaluit. Phoned Little Big Boss and found out the true depth of hociR fear. Apparently a rather large Polar Bear was examining my car, Skidoo and even the front door where our dog keeps her best bones. I asked LBB if she got a picture. Nope. She was so traumatized by the logo on the back of the camera that she wouldn't even go downstairs to take a portrait of Ursus Maritimus out the front door. Or even eye-to-eye level out the front window. O.K., he probably weighed-in at 1,200 pounds and she's about 90 even after a big feed of igunaq, but really ...
Another reason for the rest of you not to buy a K3.
03-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #7579
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Last weekend, I was in Iqaluit. Phoned Little Big Boss and found out the true depth of hociR fear. Apparently a rather large Polar Bear was examining my car, Skidoo and even the front door where our dog keeps her best bones. I asked LBB if she got a picture. Nope. She was so traumatized by the logo on the back of the camera that she wouldn't even go downstairs to take a portrait of Ursus Maritimus out the front door. Or even eye-to-eye level out the front window. O.K., he probably weighed-in at 1,200 pounds and she's about 90 even after a big feed of igunaq, but really ...
Another reason for the rest of you not to buy a K3.
Face to face with a polar-bear...I would have to work up the nerve for that my self

edit: do the polar-bear like hociR?. Could try to calm them beast with some body`s only. Might work for a while, till the signs prohibiting feeding the bears with hociR got put up.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 03-14-2014 at 07:24 PM. Reason: added info.
03-14-2014, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #7580
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Could try to calm the beast.
He got calmed down. He became guest of honor at a community feast of Nanoominiq. Nanoominiq being cooked Polar Bear meat.
No K3's allowed so everyone could relax and enjoy.
03-14-2014, 07:44 PM   #7581
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Apparently a rather large Polar Bear was examining my car, Skidoo and even the front door where our dog keeps her best bones.
We don't get much of that sort of thing down here. I think the neighbors would complain.
03-14-2014, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #7582
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
We don't get much of that sort of thing down here. I think the neighbors would complain.
No too mention the Animal Control Officers

03-14-2014, 10:40 PM   #7583
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Only a boy would consider a floor jack to be a toy!
A floor jack is not a toy, but rather a necessity ... and more the tonnage, the better ... Nice one there at 3 &1/2 ... I used to have a big red Mac that looked like this one. Dad got it off one of his criminal clients as part of a defense fee, so one might say that maybe this jack was red "hot" one ... J

---------- Post added 03-15-14 at 06:43 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
DPReview, minion of nokiN and nonaC has yet to pronounce words on the K-3 and without its blessing, I can never buy...that and for fear of the hociR! ...
You are kidding, aren't you ?! I never read them ... especially their Pentax page(s) ... J

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-14-2014 at 11:20 PM.
03-15-2014, 12:48 AM   #7584
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Well, wouldn't you freak out if someone put Vegemite on you?!?
Well it would depend on whether or not she was going to lick it off or not.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Just to get us back "off-topic" again ... does anyone ever remember pouring Coke on corroded battery terminals to clean them up ?! J
I remember someone saying it was supposed to work, they tried it, it didn't work so well, and so I did like Steve. I got out the baking soda, put a bit of water on it to make a paste, and then used a retired toothbrush to scrub away the crud.

Works great.

Might also remove hociR from the back of a K3 too.
03-15-2014, 03:31 AM   #7585
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I never read them ... especially their Pentax page(s) ... J
That was the OP's fate. He did read them and has been locked in a padded room in Ottumwa, Iowa, for the last few months, paranoid that someone will see his camera bag.
03-15-2014, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #7586
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
My new toy (so much for that part of savings for the K-3 money), it could squeeze Vegemite right out of a key-board, or two.
I have to say that it would do so nicely.

Only a boy would consider a floor jack to be a toy!
My shop has a number of red boxes full of shiny "toys". They have MAC, SnapOn, and Craftsman stamped on them. Some of them were my dad's "toys", some were his dad's "toys".

I even have some very old "toys" that are a black oxide finish made by Plumb, and stamped "WAR FINISH". They were produced during WWII and rather than chrome plate them they were given the black oxide finish to save stuff for the war effort.

I'm quite proud of my "toys".

A floor jack is not a toy, but rather a necessity ... and more the tonnage, the better ... Nice one there at 3 &1/2 ... I used to have a big red Mac that looked like this one. Dad got it off one of his criminal clients as part of a defense fee, so one might say that maybe this jack was red "hot" one ... J
I have a SnapOn one that looks very much like that one. Picked it up about 25 years ago to use in my shop at home, mostly to use while working on my "toys".

I also have an air over hydraulic one that will pick up a semi truck.

Or a house.

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Cool. I inherited a twenty ton mechanical railroad track jack. Low foot and top pad, about 24" high, 6" to the foot. Simplex brand. Not sure what to use it for, currently looking for abandoned railroad trackage because his thing will lift a rail and pull the spikes. No Vegimite needed.
You could use it to lift basement walls for your friends and neighbors to help get their houses back into square, level and plumb.
03-15-2014, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #7587
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have some -- alas, not many or enough! -- of my dad's tools, too. He was a mechanic. I have his ancient ratchet (Snap-On, not hociR!), which still works perfectly even though it's worn and a little beat-up. Unfortunately, after he passed my mother gave away his tool chest, to a neighbor (retired aviation mechanic) who had been a great help to the family during my dad's last years. I don't begrudge that -- the fellow was a godsend -- but I do sort of wish, sometimes, that more of the tools had stayed home. The ratchet is a special memento. No good for camera repairs, unless I want to smash a Brand X with it...
03-15-2014, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #7588
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Man, this thread is going down hill fast.

Yeah. There's another Thread for that kind of stuff.
03-15-2014, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #7589
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
I have some -- alas, not many or enough! -- of my dad's tools, too. He was a mechanic. I have his ancient ratchet (Snap-On, not hociR!), which still works perfectly even though it's worn and a little beat-up. Unfortunately, after he passed my mother gave away his tool chest, to a neighbor (retired aviation mechanic) who had been a great help to the family during my dad's last years. I don't begrudge that -- the fellow was a godsend -- but I do sort of wish, sometimes, that more of the tools had stayed home. The ratchet is a special memento. No good for camera repairs, unless I want to smash a Brand X with it...
I just passed along my grandfather's tools to my son, who recently helped his wife buy the house she decided they want. I don't mind going over there to help do things such as install a Disposal but I figured, "Why carry all my tools back and forth?"

Eventually he'll be doing something the second time.
03-15-2014, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #7590
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good tools are a treasure. Which is why we hoard our Pentaxes, neh?
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »