Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
03-23-2020, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #76381
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The Big Shed is the largest building in the world (by volume). If you look really close you can see my car, right over there>>>

Located at Paine Field (Snohomish County Airport) in Everett, Washington, the Boeing Company manufactures the 747, 767, 777, 777X (or 777-9) which is a 777 with composite wings, and 787 (and some derivatives such as the KC46 tanker) commercial airliners and cargo planes.

I work on the 777 (legacy, metal wings) program (mostly).

Effective Wednesday all operations in Washington state will be suspended for 14 calendar days (10 M days - and M day is a manufacturing day).

Anyone who can telecommute will continue to do so.

My job is not possible to telecommute, as I cannot drill and fill over the internet.

According to the collective bargaining agreement with the IAM local 751 Boeing will have to pay bargaining unit members for those 10 days. The plan is to resume production on 8 April. Should there be a need to continue the shutdown, then we will go on unpaid status.

This will not be good.

Of course there has been a lot of not so good stuff going on lately, for aviation in general. And with the Corona Virus thing reaching global proportions, the impact has rocked the entire industry.

People aren't traveling.

So airlines aren't flying.

Since airlines aren't flying they cannot afford to buy new airplanes. It costs a lot of money to own and operate commercial airliners.

If they cannot buy new airplanes, then Boeing and Airbus (and the other manufacturers, Embraer, Bombardier, etc.) cannot continue to produce them.

If the manufacturers slow or halt production, the vendors and suppliers must also slow or halt production.

With lower or suspended demand for materials, production of things like aluminum and titanium, carbon fiber and thousands of other things will also slow or be halted.

This is bigger than most people can get their heads around. Think about it. This silly virus is affecting everyone, in every corner of the globe.

Anyway, Racer will be taking a two week sabbatical from The Big Shed. And he is only 1 year, 5 months, 5 days from retirement.

*sigh*
Dreadfully "silly", with infection rates increasing exponentially every day!
Stay safe, stay healthy and best wishes.

03-23-2020, 09:44 PM - 2 Likes   #76382
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Big Shed is the largest building in the world (by volume). If you look really close you can see my car, right over there>>>

Located at Paine Field (Snohomish County Airport) in Everett, Washington, the Boeing Company manufactures the 747, 767, 777, 777X (or 777-9) which is a 777 with composite wings, and 787 (and some derivatives such as the KC46 tanker) commercial airliners and cargo planes.

Effective Wednesday all operations in Washington state will be suspended for 14 calendar days (10 M days - and M day is a manufacturing day).

My job is not possible to telecommute, as I cannot drill and fill over the internet.

According to the collective bargaining agreement with the IAM local 751 Boeing will have to pay bargaining unit members for those 10 days. The plan is to resume production on 8 April. Should there be a need to continue the shutdown, then we will go on unpaid status.

This will not be good.

Of course there has been a lot of not so good stuff going on lately, for aviation in general. And with the Corona Virus thing reaching global proportions, the impact has rocked the entire industry.

People aren't traveling.

Since airlines aren't flying they cannot afford to buy new airplanes. It costs a lot of money to own and operate commercial airliners.

If they cannot buy new airplanes, then Boeing and Airbus (and the other manufacturers, Embraer, Bombardier, etc.) cannot continue to produce them.

If the manufacturers slow or halt production, the vendors and suppliers must also slow or halt production.

With lower or suspended demand for materials, production of things like aluminum and titanium, carbon fiber and thousands of other things will also slow or be halted.

This is bigger than most people can get their heads around. Think about it. This silly virus is affecting everyone, in every corner of the globe.

Anyway, Racer will be taking a two week sabbatical from The Big Shed. And he is only 1 year, 5 months, 5 days from retirement.

*sigh*
Tough times ahead for all. Let's hope we return to 'normal' before long.

Silly question: How do they get the airplanes from the big shed to the delivery centre? Do they all go over that one overpass over the 526 freeway?
03-23-2020, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #76383
Pentaxian

This will not be good.

People aren't traveling.

*sigh*
Really tough times. I hope for the best.

Les
03-23-2020, 10:20 PM - 2 Likes   #76384
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Tough times ahead for all. Let's hope we return to 'normal' before long.

Silly question: How do they get the airplanes from the big shed to the delivery centre? Do they all go over that one overpass over the 526 freeway?
Yep, they roll 'em across the freeway and over onto the Paine Field tarmac where they have even more buildings doing stuff to the planes. Final finishing, painting? "Stuff"

My brother lives just a couple of miles from the Shed

03-23-2020, 10:44 PM - 1 Like   #76385
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Yep, they roll 'em across the freeway and over onto the Paine Field tarmac where they have even more buildings doing stuff to the planes. Final finishing, painting? "Stuff"

My brother lives just a couple of miles from the Shed
Cunning. I had a look on google maps. Sure is lots of other buildings too.
03-24-2020, 12:56 AM - 1 Like   #76386
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I feel your frustration, Racer, although I have a bit longer to retirement. Yesterday my employer had to shut the doors for the foreseeable and messaged us all to that effect. There is work to come back to when this is over, but I now join the kids with my wife in lockdown. The one difference to you in the US is our government is going to pay 80% of the wages we would otherwise have earned. My fingernails should be ever so clean by the time this is over, but my kids might be tired of the sight of me...
03-24-2020, 01:41 AM - 2 Likes   #76387
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Yep.

Since the very first 747 was built. Thousands of airplanes have been towed across that bridge.

The 526 freeway was built to connect the 5 freeway to Boeing and the county airport, 60 years ago. Since then millions upon millions of cars and trucks have traveled that short stretch of highway.

I drove Monstro and company across that same overpass many dozens of times in the five years I drove big trucks. Shortly after starting work at The Big Shed, I managed to get an inside parking pass, and have driven across the bridge in my personal vehicles too.

03-24-2020, 03:21 AM - 4 Likes   #76388
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
No matter how this all shakes out, I have to say that my time as one of thousands who contribute to the production of these magnificent. machines has been largely positive. When the time comes I will emerge a better person for the experience of having been a part of such a great company.
03-24-2020, 05:10 AM - 3 Likes   #76389
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I don't think I've posted here today.
Miss me?
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Not really.
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Who are you?
It's so nice to be loved.
03-24-2020, 06:42 AM - 2 Likes   #76390
Veteran Member

This weeks winner of a ThermaPen thermometer from ThermoWorks.
Must have taken the shot with a Canon.

03-24-2020, 06:45 AM   #76391
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I feel your frustration, Racer, although I have a bit longer to retirement. Yesterday my employer had to shut the doors for the foreseeable and messaged us all to that effect. There is work to come back to when this is over, but I now join the kids with my wife in lockdown. The one difference to you in the US is our government is going to pay 80% of the wages we would otherwise have earned. My fingernails should be ever so clean by the time this is over, but my kids might be tired of the sight of me...
My employer sent us to 'work from home' a week ago. So I am at home but providing my employed services via telecommunications methods.

So I get paid normally, and need to do the same work from a different place by different methods.
03-24-2020, 08:46 AM - 7 Likes   #76392
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Isolation steak and potatoes; keeping them at a safe distance
Attached Images

03-24-2020, 08:49 AM - 5 Likes   #76393
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Here ya go
Attached Images

03-24-2020, 08:51 AM - 6 Likes   #76394
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@bertwert

I hear some crazy kid has started a movement in Western Canada
Attached Images

03-24-2020, 09:03 AM - 3 Likes   #76395
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Isolation steak and potatoes; keeping them at a safe distance
Looks good and, to my taste, they look almost done. That is assuming it's beef.
If it's pork it, of course, should be boiled first.