Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2014, 04:53 AM   #7711
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Our legislature just passed a texting ban, finally.

03-20-2014, 05:09 AM   #7712
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Client: "I texted you! Why didn't you call right away?"
Me: "I was driving."
Client: "OK. So - what - you can't pull over?"
Me: "I would have to read the text while driving to know it was you texting me."
Client: "< . . . . . . . . > You don't have voice text in your car?"
03-20-2014, 05:13 AM   #7713

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
moaon aabe :EYES:
We're Ricoh resistance is futile.
03-20-2014, 06:28 AM   #7714
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Client: "I texted you! Why didn't you call right away?"
Me: "I was driving."
Client: "OK. So - what - you can't pull over?"
Me: "I would have to read the text while driving to know it was you texting me."
Client: "< . . . . . . . . > You don't have voice text in your car?"
Me: "Well, it obviously wasn't important enough to send a carrier pigeon."

03-20-2014, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #7715
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by ALiEN|PoV Quote
We're Ricoh resistance is futile.
03-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #7716
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

I'll bet you didn't have to Google moaon aabe, did you?
03-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #7717
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I'll bet you didn't have to Google moaon aabe, did you?
No Sir!

And I have safe at home, full of items that demonstrate my 2nd amendment rights. I even have one just like Clint has in that photo.

03-20-2014, 02:38 PM   #7718
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
And I have safe at home, full of items that demonstrate my 2nd amendment rights.
I have one of those. No long guns though, but Mrs. Parallax has a couple.
A Garand is something I've always wanted, but for some reason I've never got around to buying one.
03-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #7719
Veteran Member

i have only long guns. For what that's worth. Like my Winchester Model 70 and the Remington 1100 and 870 duck guns. Also have a Marlin .22 auto and an ancient .22 Winchester bolt, single shot. But my pride and joy is the 1877 Winchester lever action, purchased used by my Grandad when he immigrated from Norway and settled on the prairie near Hetland, SD. I have one live round, a 38.40 Krag, that fits the chamber. I used to have two, but had to test fire the rifle. Octagon barrel, maybe 40 inches long. Very heavy on the front end, but I did hit my target (paper). That rifle is hanging on the wall above my desk. Drinking Uncle Bill (Grandad's brother) did not like the shiny steel barrel for hunting and painted it black. When I inherited the rifle, I spent many many hours carefully removing the black paint and restoring the rifle. I used 600 grit emery cloth. Worked very well. Now the rifle looks as it did in 1880, with slight staining on the steel from age. I have been told that the rifle is worth more than a K3! But since I already have a K3, that is irrelevant.
03-20-2014, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #7720
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been, since I was a kid, and always will be a pistol shooter. Some long guns hold an appeal for me, and I've had an evil black rifle or two over the years, but I just can't get enthused and I end up selling or trading them. Handguns are a different story. I honestly couldn't tell you how many I have without opening the safe, counting them, and adding 1 for the Sig P290 that's always in my pocket.
I certainly wouldn't expect Racer to confirm, deny, or even address this, but if I had to make a bet I'd play the odds and wager that, as a long haul driver, he doesn't travel alone. I know I wouldn't.

Last edited by Parallax; 03-20-2014 at 04:37 PM.
03-20-2014, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #7721
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I just finished doing my taxes and a check should be headed my way. Never-the-less, I will not succumb to the siren song of the hociR. I will not hasten the destruction of Tokyo or the wasting of much cheese. I may buy an old Exakta instead...

..only with a later "zebra" CZJ Pancolar 50/2...

Steve
03-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #7722
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

That's gorgeous!
03-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #7723
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That's gorgeous!
Not the actual camera, but very close. The one I am looking at has a different (later) lens. I have to do a thorough inspection before I plunk down any money and that will require more research and maybe even a short test roll.

Steve
03-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #7724
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1. I would say the same about my SMC K lenses.
2. They send you a check? I arrange things so I need to write a check. Hate to lend them money all year on top of what they take anyway.
03-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #7725
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
2. They send you a check? I arrange things so I need to write a check. Hate to lend them money all year on top of what they take anyway.
I am a lazy steward and don't have the inclination to fine tune the withholding so that I don't get fined. I sort of wish that the IRS was more like the Canadian tax agency. When I lived up there in the early 1980s they paid interest back on any excess withholding.

Steve

---------- Post added 03-20-14 at 05:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Not the actual camera, but very close. The one I am looking at has a different (later) lens. I have to do a thorough inspection before I plunk down any money and that will require more research and maybe even a short test roll.

Steve
I am a bit ambivalent, however. It has an excellent prism viewfinder and the precision build of a 50s era German camera. However, it also has is pretty exotic to actually use. For example:
  • Totally left-handed except for the slow shutter speeds...yes, including film transport. Fortunately that is offset by having a real hinged back, but one that is difficult to unlatch.
  • Shutter speed dial must be turned one way and one way only, but at least it can be changed without having to cock the shutter first
  • Film wind lever is an extremely long throw (> 270 degrees)
  • Setting the slow shutter speeds is complicated, but the maximum setting is a quite long 12s. The same mechanism is used for self-timer with the result that you cannot self-time a long exposure.
  • No auto-return mirror
  • Frame counter must be manually reset (typical for the time)
  • Film take-up spool is of the removable type (potential for loss), but it is possible to use a canister on both ends and shoot a partial roll without rewinding. There is a built-in knife to cut the film.
  • Backward body ergonomics...notice that the body shape is designed so that it is hard to grip
Still, though, it is a cool-looking camera and was quite advanced for the time:
  • First true system camera
  • Supported auto-aperture lenses with NO in-body coupling
  • Interchangeable finders and focus screens
  • Interchangeable backs with support for a high capacity magazine
  • Easily adapted for microscopy
  • Vast number of accessories

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-20-2014 at 05:42 PM.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »