Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #7801
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Googling 'origin of ...' gives Truckers Report where a contributor claims that chicken haulers, looked down upon in the '70's, started putting them on to upgrade their image. But what do I know. I own a K3.
Oh yeah, Truckers Report. A forum where the m0dErAt0rZ will ban someone simply because they are a m0dErAt0r at another driver's forum.

Ask me how I know this.

Oh, and the story about the Chikin Lights might have some validity, as back then the Chikin Haulerz did have a bad rep. But back then most truck drivers had a bad rep. Lots of drug use, alcoholism, hardened felons driving because they couldn't get any other kind of work . . . . . . . .

Wait.

Things haven't changed much in 40 years.

Even after the Fitness For Duty regs that came about in the early 1990's drivers still can't decide which is more important, to smoke dope or work. Yeah, that law sure fixed things, didn't it?

Sorry, I got off on a tangent again. I'll try to play nice now.

Honest.

03-24-2014, 04:17 AM   #7802
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

Ask me how I know this?
How do you know this?
03-24-2014, 06:34 AM   #7803
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Googling 'origin of ...' gives Truckers Report where a contributor claims that chicken haulers, looked down upon in the '70's, started putting them on to upgrade their image. But what do I know. I own a K3.
Yeah, I saw that (among other things), didn't seem like any one (on a bunch of sites) really knew. And 'cause the danged lights are common on other kinds of trucks (read: pickups), and some police officers insist on adding as many extra lights as possible to their cruisers, I'm chalking it up to [insert name of male hormone] poisoning...
03-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #7804
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Yeah, I saw that (among other things), didn't seem like any one (on a bunch of sites) really knew. And 'cause the danged lights are common on other kinds of trucks (read: pickups), and some police officers insist on adding as many extra lights as possible to their cruisers, I'm chalking it up to [insert name of male hormone] poisoning...
At one time those 5 roof lights designated a truck (or truck that regularly pulled a wide trailer such as a hay wagon) that was wider than regulation when most farm-county roads were quite narrow. At night an oncoming driver might not see the wider load or trailer, so they were a warning. Hence they do have a legitimate origin, even for pickup trucks. They are an OEM option, after all. These days you see them on dually pickups that would more likely pull a wide or very heavy rig (even an Airstream - they're on the front of those, too!) - that would have nirrors wider than 80".

The rows of yellow Christmas lights on posts and plates, decorating every edge of the tractor and the trailer - are another matter entirely. Those I would characterize as Chikin Lites.

03-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #7805
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I was horrified this morning to find that hociR is in control of the Web cam on my laptop. This explains soooo much.

Steve
03-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #7806
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I was horrified this morning to find that hociR is in control of the Web cam on my laptop. This explains soooo much.

Steve
I always put a Post-It over the lens of my laptop ... and I would not be so paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me ... J
03-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #7807
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
and I would not be so paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me .
Seems pretty common among those in your profession, Jean.

03-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #7808
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I always put a Post-It over the lens of my laptop ... and I would not be so paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me ... J
Another use for Ultrasonic Sensor Shift is to jiggle the Post-It off your laptop camera.

I used a strip of Gaffer Tape.

By the merest coincidence, it came from the same roll I used to cover up hociR on my Pentax (not-to-be-named-on-this-thread).

Last edited by monochrome; 03-24-2014 at 06:14 PM.
03-24-2014, 02:33 PM   #7809
Site Supporter

Well, I now have uverse up & running. I'll try to post some of Princess's skyline pictures tonight.
03-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #7810
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
I'm chalking it up to [insert name of male hormone] poisoning...
Yup, most guys like to see their gals all dolled-up. Oops, MCP comment.
03-24-2014, 05:11 PM   #7811

It sounds like Y'all are as nuts (meaning GOOD folks!) as on a knife site I am a member of. I guess when I said Truck I should have said PICKUP truck.
03-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #7812
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Randy B Quote
It sounds like Y'all are as nuts
More like Bacon and Cheese...Velveeta is cheese also.
Not going to touch the "nuts" part, too much room for interpretation?.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 03-24-2014 at 05:55 PM. Reason: "Interpretation" is it a word?
03-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #7813
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Randy B Quote
It sounds like Y'all are as nuts (meaning GOOD folks!) as on a knife site I am a member of. I guess when I said Truck I should have said PICKUP truck.
We do knives too, especially as related gunfights. And watch your six for moderators. There's one lurking in here who keeps trying to keep us on the topic - lutefisk. Lutefisk is a Norwegian delicacy made from cod carcasses which have been sun-dried to the point of purification and which are then soaked in a Drano solution for added flavor. Guaranteed to unclog your pipes.

Last edited by jac; 03-24-2014 at 06:33 PM.
03-24-2014, 06:44 PM   #7814
Veteran Member

We also endorse fermented walrus buried in permafrost, aka "Igunaq."
03-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #7815
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
....... And watch your six for moderators. There's one lurking in here who keeps trying to keep us on the topic - lutefisk. Lutefisk is a Norwegian delicacy made from cod carcasses which have been sun-dried to the point of purification and which are then soaked in a Drano solution for added flavor. Guaranteed to unclog your pipes.
watch