Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2020, 11:45 PM - 1 Like   #78436
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
And there I thought they've figured that out some thirty years ago.
A continuous process of improvement.

05-30-2020, 12:25 AM - 1 Like   #78437
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
In the late fifties, my great aunt lived in a cottage in Staithes, North Yorkshire, which had been the home of Capt. Cook. I remember visiting her there. There was a historical marker plaque on the front of the house.
People would peer through the windows, if she saw them, she would yell "He's not in! Last I heard from him, he was getting eaten in the Sandwich Islands." The same house is now a vacation rental.
I like that! Rather like the quip about a commemorative blue plaque “which declared, against all expectations, that someone was born half way up a wall.”
05-30-2020, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #78438
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just had a little aftershock.

Sat May 30 2020 10:56 PM
Magnitude: 4.7
Depth: 38 km
35 km north-west of Levin
05-30-2020, 05:57 AM - 2 Likes   #78439
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

According to an interpretation of a prediction by Nostradamus it was believed "the big one" was going to hit California in 1970.
I don't know how well this did in the charts overall, but it was quite popular in California at the time.

Last edited by Parallax; 05-30-2020 at 09:34 AM.
05-30-2020, 07:52 AM - 2 Likes   #78440
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I've not read the book but I did see a doco about it many years ago.
I haven't seen the 1950 documentary - mostly as I don't speak Norwegian... but the 2012 film did a decent job, and I still recommend reading the book.

05-30-2020, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #78441
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
In the late fifties, my great aunt lived in a cottage in Staithes, North Yorkshire, which had been the home of Capt. Cook. I remember visiting her there. There was a historical marker plaque on the front of the house.
People would peer through the windows, if she saw them, she would yell "He's not in! Last I heard from him, he was getting eaten in the Sandwich Islands." The same house is now a vacation rental.
Sounds like your aunt was quite a character, with an excellent sense of humour. I think Captain Cook would of liked her.

It would of been quite an adventure to be on board his ship during some of his explorations, although I do believe I would pass on his trip to the Sandwich Islands.
05-30-2020, 12:38 PM - 2 Likes   #78442
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Just watched the Space X launch.

The US is back in the space launch game.

Exhilarating to see.
05-30-2020, 01:18 PM - 2 Likes   #78443
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Just watched the Space X launch.

The US is back in the space launch game.

Exhilarating to see.
What impressed me the most was when the first stage landed dead on the target on the drone ship.

The name of the ship is "Of Course I Still Love You".
I can't help wondering if it has a sister ship named "Of course I'll Respect You In The Morning".

Last edited by Parallax; 05-30-2020 at 03:46 PM.
05-30-2020, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #78444
Pentaxian

Due to over fly the UK again at around 22.15 - get your LONG, LONG (Pentax, of course!) lenses out!
05-30-2020, 01:47 PM   #78445
Pentaxian

I watched an edition of Jay Leno's Garage the other day. He was driving the electric pickup prototype and drove through Musk's 'Boring Tunnel', with Elon Musk riding shotgun.

My understanding of the idea behind the Boring Tunnel is that it will be a tunnel running underground for electric cars which I believe will be powered and moved underground of regular surface roads, with the idea of moving a lot more traffic. It reminded me of how a subway runs, although the only subway I've used in the London underground and that was 40-50 years ago.

Subway for cars/people...similar concept and it can move a lot of people.

Also first time I've seen the Class 8 highway tractor, that is rated to pull 80,000 lbs. Looks neat, but I wonder how it will do in Alaska, northern Canada, the prairie provinces and the northern states...range wise...with the extreme cold that these conditions these relatively large areas with relatively few burgs and charging...or any sort of infrastructure.

. Eventually, things will be figured out in years to come, they always are, as long as we let the engineers do the planning.
05-31-2020, 06:18 AM   #78446
Pentaxian

Hey gang.
Dropping in to let you know I'm having a health issue, hopefully not serious, but I fear it might be.
Going through tests and procedures to try to pin point the problem.
I'll update when I know more and hopefully be back annoying you all real soon.
Love you guys! in a manly way of course
05-31-2020, 06:25 AM - 2 Likes   #78447
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That doesn't sound good, Bob.
I hope it turns out okay.
05-31-2020, 06:47 AM - 2 Likes   #78448
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Whatever it is, we are here for you Bob.

Let’s hope it doesn’t keep you from making and eating bacon, eh?

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Like a brother Bob.

Like a brother.
05-31-2020, 06:52 AM - 2 Likes   #78449
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I watched an edition of Jay Leno's Garage the other day. He was driving the electric pickup prototype and drove through Musk's 'Boring Tunnel', with Elon Musk riding shotgun.

My understanding of the idea behind the Boring Tunnel is that it will be a tunnel running underground for electric cars which I believe will be powered and moved underground of regular surface roads, with the idea of moving a lot more traffic. It reminded me of how a subway runs, although the only subway I've used in the London underground and that was 40-50 years ago.

Subway for cars/people...similar concept and it can move a lot of people.

Also first time I've seen the Class 8 highway tractor, that is rated to pull 80,000 lbs. Looks neat, but I wonder how it will do in Alaska, northern Canada, the prairie provinces and the northern states...range wise...with the extreme cold that these conditions these relatively large areas with relatively few burgs and charging...or any sort of infrastructure.

. Eventually, things will be figured out in years to come, they always are, as long as we let the engineers do the planning.
Building anything underground is expensive. When doing civil engineering work we always did our best to minimize how deep sewer and storm drain systems had to be, to keep costs down.

But when you are obscenely rich, like Elon Musk, I guess money is no object, eh?
05-31-2020, 06:55 AM - 4 Likes   #78450
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Hey gang.
Dropping in to let you know I'm having a health issue, hopefully not serious, but I fear it might be.
Going through tests and procedures to try to pin point the problem.
I'll update when I know more and hopefully be back annoying you all real soon.
Hoping for the best, and that you just bob right back...