Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2020, 01:14 PM - 4 Likes   #78616
Senior Moderator

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Couple of truck loads of gravel should do it, don’t you think?
You must get the deluxe road repairs where you are. Around here they'd just chip seal it and put up a "Rough Road" sign.

06-06-2020, 01:20 PM   #78617
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Heh, I guess the other half went yesterday In the same area, but no houses this time.

I found this section of road on Google Earth Pro.

Looks like they will have a bit of earthwork to cut a road up the hillside, so switchbacks, steep grades, guardrails.

And the utilities will require revisions too.
Attached Images

06-06-2020, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #78618
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

An aerial view of the area before the slide from Google Earth Pro.

The intersection at the top center is the one in the slide Savoche posted.
Attached Images

06-06-2020, 07:28 PM - 3 Likes   #78619
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd say there's some pretty serious ground stablility issues there. That whole hillside may be unstable and ready slip into the sea.

06-07-2020, 09:57 AM - 3 Likes   #78620
Pentaxian

06-07-2020, 11:44 AM   #78621
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
We had work team meeting a few days ago. One of the colleagues said he had lost 1st or a bit more of his weight. I asked if he wanted us to help him find it.

‘Lost’ is a word used in a funny way- someone lost their life. Then the obvious solution is for them to find it and their problem would go away.
06-07-2020, 11:46 AM - 3 Likes   #78622
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Watching the Red Bull Soapbox at the moment.

Soap Box Derby for grown ups.

From Rome, Italy. Is that @dave_roe?

These people are nuts.
06-07-2020, 12:03 PM - 2 Likes   #78623
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'd say there's some pretty serious ground stablility issues there. That whole hillside may be unstable and ready slip into the sea.
Blame the glaciers. It all goes back to Slartibartfast and his penchant for ‘lovely crinkly edges’...

As tha glaciers melted back at the end of the last big ice age, they left all the junk behind that had been scraped up along the way. Lots of sands and gravels from the meltwater streams, and whenever things sat still for a while, it formed lakes. Lakes = still water = layers of clay settled out of the runoff... Clay has weird and complicated mineralogy, and it can change its atomic crystal structure under certain conditions. It also gets complicated when you figure it’s shear strength. Strength depends on inter atomic bonds, which depends on the atoms present. Salts have a strong effect on this in clays. Add water to clays, they get slippery. Add water to clays, over time it it dissolves and leaches out the salts. At some point the clay atomic bonds, now minus their salts, pass over a threshold, and Poof! the shear strength is now darn close to zero. Picture the sand and gravels stacked over a great big sheet of Velcro holding it in place. Now picture that sheet suddenly changing to a Teflon coated flat surface.

Betcherass it is unstable and ready to slide.

06-07-2020, 12:09 PM   #78624
Pentaxian

They maybe nuts, but they can build some neat 'vehicles' and boy can they control them...well at least many of them can.

That Dukes of Hazzard Charger..I see is the sought after model...the R/T !

Never seen a Bull Soapbox race. It looks like a great event...'lots of thrills and spills aplenty'.... as they used to say ...at the old local modified and sprint car races out here, back in the '60's.

---------- Post added 06-07-20 at 02:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Blame the glaciers. It all goes back to Slartibartfast and his penchant for ‘lovely crinkly edges’...

As tha glaciers melted back at the end of the last big ice age, they left all the junk behind that had been scraped up along the way. Lots of sands and gravels from the meltwater streams, and whenever things sat still for a while, it formed lakes. Lakes = still water = layers of clay settled out of the runoff... Clay has weird and complicated mineralogy, and it can change its atomic crystal structure under certain conditions. It also gets complicated when you figure it’s shear strength. Strength depends on inter atomic bonds, which depends on the atoms present. Salts have a strong effect on this in clays. Add water to clays, they get slippery. Add water to clays, over time it it dissolves and leaches out the salts. At some point the clay atomic bonds, now minus their salts, pass over a threshold, and Poof! the shear strength is now darn close to zero. Picture the sand and gravels stacked over a great big sheet of Velcro holding it in place. Now picture that sheet suddenly changing to a Teflon coated flat surface.

Great info. Out here in my province (Manitoba) 1000's of years ago when the ice age melted...it left an indelible effect on the topography of our province. My understanding is that the Hudson Bay 'melt' caused huge torrents of water to flow and shape valleys...and for thousands of years much of the province was the giant Lake Agassiz .

We also have a large flood plain in the area the Red River and Assiniboine river....that have clay base.......and of course this makes for some interesting effects.

I'm not a geologist, and really know little about the subject. Thx for posting.
06-07-2020, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #78625
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

These people are nuts.
That's rather cruel to nuts, but it's highly entertaining viewing. Will they, won't they disintegrate mid-course? Will they, won't they roll the contraption at the chicane? Hours of fun!
06-07-2020, 12:32 PM - 6 Likes   #78626
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

By the way, 76 years ago yesterday.

Take a moment and remember.
06-07-2020, 12:57 PM - 2 Likes   #78627
Pentaxian

It all goes back to Slartibartfast and his penchant for ‘lovely crinkly edges’...
I still giggle at the original lines:–
Arthur Dent: What's your name?

Slartibartfast: My name is not important.

(later)

Arthur: Excuse me, what is your name, by the way?

Slartibartfast: My name ... my name is ... Slartibartfast.

Arthur: I beg your pardon?

Slartibartfast: Slartibartfast.

Arthur: Slartibartfast??

Slartibartfast: I said it wasn't important.

06-07-2020, 01:21 PM - 2 Likes   #78628
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Red Bull Soapbox Seattle, 2014

06-07-2020, 01:27 PM - 2 Likes   #78629
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

These people are nuts.
Brilliant! I bet our Health and Safety officials would have a complete meltdown.
06-07-2020, 01:28 PM   #78630
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yup. Here by us an entire road is going to be built several km to the North to avoid an unstable area.