Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2020, 01:04 AM - 1 Like   #78646
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Bad idea to skydive during Cessna mating season.

AMAZING Skydivers Land Safely After Plane Crash [EXTENDED CUT] - YouTube

Everyone made it down safely, including both pilots, although one pilot was sent to hospital. The bottom plane was able to land, the top plane broke up and came down in pieces.
Ouch. I would prefer skydiving to going down with that wingless plane, though!

06-08-2020, 01:06 AM - 1 Like   #78647
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
quite an humble understatement, Sav.
Or they'd need a gangway to get to the entrance. Falling off the edge every time you go out would be inconvenient.
06-08-2020, 01:15 AM   #78648
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Yeah, we have lots and lots of these clay areas built up the glacier morains. Brilliantly good soil for farming. But from time to time such an area liquifies and collapses.

This one happened in 1978, where 5-6 million cubic metres (that's about a gazillion cubic feet) of clay decided to move.

Probably time to move?
Amusing how figures are confidently pronounced by tv, papers etc straight after these events - 5 million cubic meters, a gazillion cubic feet, half a million protesters - like they had a reporter measure it or could look it up in a register.

I think people don’t look at moving because it’s their patch, we’ve always lived here, we own 50 acres on the east coast (which are now 49.7 acres of shingle and seaweed...). The insurance companies are another matter, they continue to cover floodplain properties but decline to cover property built on an inland rock due to flood if the sea rose 700 feet at the end of the next century...
06-08-2020, 03:13 AM - 3 Likes   #78649
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, yes, but some of them never get to be old enough to say that

I do see why flying like this can get addictive, though.

YouTube
Brilliant. Of course, it's not really flying, it's falling in style.

06-08-2020, 03:56 AM   #78650
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Ouch. I would prefer skydiving to going down with that wingless plane, though!
It still had one wing.

06-08-2020, 03:57 AM   #78651
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Brilliant. Of course, it's not really flying, it's falling in style.
Hitch hiker’s guide to the Galaxy quotation #2:- “the trick to flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

These nutcases in wing suits haven’t all cracked that yet.
06-08-2020, 05:16 AM   #78652
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

But when I read about people being upset over having to rebuild their house - again - after the third flooding in six years, I wonder why they just can't move. And I wonder why the insurance company is still willing to pay for another rebuild.
Substitute hurricane for flooding and you're describing Florida and the Gulf Coast.

06-08-2020, 08:12 AM - 3 Likes   #78653
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

Great info. Out here in my province (Manitoba) 1000's of years ago when the ice age melted...it left an indelible effect on the topography of our province. My understanding is that the Hudson Bay 'melt' caused huge torrents of water to flow and shape valleys...and for thousands of years much of the province was the giant Lake Agassiz .
Yup, the Barron Canyon in Algonquin park is a good example of this. Today it is a sedate waterway bordered by towering cliffs. In the past, a raging torrent draining the retreating Laurentide Ice Sheet.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
06-08-2020, 08:15 AM   #78654
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like he is lucky that rear wheel did not collapse....
06-08-2020, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #78655
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Looks like he is lucky that rear wheel did not collapse....
It lasted long enough to win the race, eh?
06-08-2020, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #78656
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll tell ya in the people are awesome video there were scenes that made my butt pucker so hard I had to call Mrs. Racer to come pull my chair out. I'm not afraid of heights, but something in the very core of my being knows when standing on the top of a skyscraper construction crane is not a good idea.
Yup!!!
06-08-2020, 08:31 AM - 4 Likes   #78657
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
My uncle was in the Canadian Army...that hit Juno Beach in Normandy, France that day. He was shot up, but survived, eventually recovered and lived a successful life..

Thank you for posting and remembering the Allied efforts.
Dad was up very early that morning clambering into the cockpit of his Avro Halifax bomber. His mission, soften up the defences prior to invasion. He very rarely spoke of those days but once in his older years, mentioned the incredible sight that presented itself to him and the other bomber crews as they returned to base. The rising sun illuminated the sight of the invasion force as far as the eye could see.
06-08-2020, 09:57 AM - 2 Likes   #78658
Pentaxian

Dad was up very early that morning clambering into the cockpit of his Avro Halifax bomber. His mission, soften up the defences prior to invasion. He very rarely spoke of those days but once in his older years, mentioned the incredible sight that presented itself to him and the other bomber crews as they returned to base. The rising sun illuminated the sight of the invasion force as far as the eye could see.
It was quite something to be a part of and I'm sure your dad had some close calls from incoming flak. Tremendous sacrifices made by that generation to preserve democracy and our way of life.

Interesting you mention your Dad's Avro Halifax. After the war my dad bought a surplus Lancaster Bomber propeller and we had it mounted in a place of honour in our rec room for many years.

---------- Post added 06-08-20 at 12:16 PM ----------

Yup, the Barron Canyon in Algonquin park is a good example of this. Today it is a sedate waterway bordered by towering cliffs. In the past, a raging torrent draining the retreating Laurentide Ice Sheet.
My wife and I do a lot of driving...highways, back roads.... in Manitoba and North Western Ontario and it's fascinating to see the topography. In southern Mb. I'm amazed by the deep valleys that have been carved out by torrents of water from ice melt.

One area in particular that we visit at least twice a year is the Pembina Escarpment...which is in western Manitoba, North Dakota and South Dakota. Very interesting foot hillish area that was scoured out , partially by melting glaciers. There still remains a very interesting, meandering little river (Pembina River) in this area.

This area is quite different from the typical Northern Great Plains which forms a good chunk of Southern Manitoba. Deep valleys, many fossils are found, in fact one of the prime raptor fly paths for these birds coming from down south to their northern summer homes. Bald Eagles, the odd Golden Eagle, Harris Hawks, etc...come in droves within in a couple of weeks in the early spring.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...f5uhXCPmev0SWS

Last edited by lesmore49; 06-08-2020 at 10:22 AM.
06-08-2020, 12:11 PM - 3 Likes   #78659
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

We're going for a trip up into the mountains in a week and a half, but it's probably too much snow for a proper hike (and no, Racer, not enough for skiing!).

They are supposed to open the road this weekend so we at least can drive all the way in. During winter there is public transport with old Bombardier smowmobiles the last 25 km or so. They have been upgraded with 310 hp 5.7L Chevy V8s - originally they had a Chevy straight 6 with 1/3rd of the hp

06-08-2020, 12:54 PM   #78660
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We're going for a trip up into the mountains in a week and a half, but it's probably too much snow for a proper hike (and no, Racer, not enough for skiing!).

They are supposed to open the road this weekend so we at least can drive all the way in. During winter there is public transport with old Bombardier smowmobiles the last 25 km or so. They have been upgraded with 310 hp 5.7L Chevy V8s - originally they had a Chevy straight 6 with 1/3rd of the hp

Beltebil Eidsbugarden-Tyin, ved Tyinholmen - YouTube
Impressive exhaust note!